Help Me! I have this almost unbearable void

I don’t know what’s going on here but for the last 5 years I’ve had this terrible void and no purpose feeling. After I converted to Christ more, that void got better.

Up until now, I am having the worse void feeling I ever experienced before in my life. It’s like no matter what I do I can’t seem to satisfy it! I feel like I have no purpose in life for crying out loud! Not even after I get my degree from college will that find my purpose in life.

Now I know that God can fill that void good enough on Earth (it will be totally full in Heaven, yes I’m aware of that) but I just feel so empty and even terrible. I’ve been praying a little about it (I guess I need to pray heck more on that!) hoping God will guide me to something but since I’m a college student right this moment, nothing is getting to me. I also know that I must serve God but what can I do that will fill that void a little and give me some purpose?

This is not cool. I feel like I’m just some random person here on earth with no purpose. No matter what I can’t fill it! Only God can, yes, but how?

I don’t care what my vocation is (religious life, married, etc.) as long as He can give me a purpose and fill that void better!

Hey…could this be the cause for my anxiety I posted a thread for that in Spirituality?

COULD ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME!?!?!? :eek:

It has been my experience that the best way to fill the void in my life is to ask the Holy Spirit for guidance in how I might help others. Here is a great prayer that I use:

Jesus, I offer myself to Thee, to build with me and to do with me as Thou wilt. Relieve me of the bondage of selfishness that I might better do Thy will. Take away my difficulties only so that victory over them may bear witness to those I may serve of THY power, THY love and THY WAY OF LIFE. May I do Thy will ALWAYS…

Try saying this prayer every morning, on your knees, for 14 days and see what happens.

Love, and Peace

At the least I can offer this short little tidbit.

Ifeel pretty much the same void you do. Now, for me its a little different. See, I am firmly commited to God in my life. I want to do everything for Him. Unfortunately, there are problems with that. For one, I have this job where I just hate to be because there’s not much I can do for God while I’m there. This creates the problem of not even being able to do different things like volunteer, because between college and this job I don’t have much time for that sort of thing.

What makes it worse is that I am in the process of converting. Even so, I am incredibly, and I mean incredibly, drawn to religious life. Even if not the priesthood, becoming a brother somewhere. I long for it. It… just so fits what I am seeking in life. Unfortunately, I am told that after I convert I will have to wait a few years before anyone will take me. So that makes my feeling worse.

I’ve recently begun to learn to deal with it in some way. Perhaps its my cross, I don’t know. Perhaps God has me going through this to learn something. I don’t know.

But that’s how I feel. See, you have a void that you say you don’t know why it’s there. I have a void and I am pretty sure I do know what is causing it, so maybe you can take something out of that. I hope so!

[quote=Lazerlike42]At the least I can offer this short little tidbit.

Ifeel pretty much the same void you do. Now, for me its a little different. See, I am firmly commited to God in my life. I want to do everything for Him. Unfortunately, there are problems with that. For one, I have this job where I just hate to be because there’s not much I can do for God while I’m there. This creates the problem of not even being able to do different things like volunteer, because between college and this job I don’t have much time for that sort of thing.

What makes it worse is that I am in the process of converting. Even so, I am incredibly, and I mean incredibly, drawn to religious life. Even if not the priesthood, becoming a brother somewhere. I long for it. It… just so fits what I am seeking in life. Unfortunately, I am told that after I convert I will have to wait a few years before anyone will take me. So that makes my feeling worse.

I’ve recently begun to learn to deal with it in some way. Perhaps its my cross, I don’t know. Perhaps God has me going through this to learn something. I don’t know.

But that’s how I feel. See, you have a void that you say you don’t know why it’s there. I have a void and I am pretty sure I do know what is causing it, so maybe you can take something out of that. I hope so!
[/quote]

See, I’m getting confirmed in November this year and have been drawn toward the religious life but who knows if that’s just me or what!!

Well, that helped a little…that is knowing that I’m not the only one going through this.
:o

During the times of dryness, I simply try not to dwell on it. It may sound like a simple answer, but I just keep doing the things I’m doing, pray, read, reflect, and just have Faith that God is there watching and guiding me.

God want you to persevere and NOT give up. (To give up is the Worst thing you can ever do).

In helping others, just by smiling and saying hello to someone is helping some one. Aiding someone where on the Forums who may be experiencing a down feeling or needs encouragement is helping others. We are to by like Christ, and I really do not believe He was ever in despair. Jesus sorrowed but not in real despair.

Be Not Afraid.

Oh dear Paris.

Jesus will fill that void. I’ve been there too, and yes for years.

Do you go to frequent Eucharistic Adoration? If not, do go!
I cannot recommend it enough. Stop searching outside for the worldly cares and seek Jesus deeply and fully.

Seek first the Kingdom of God and God’s righteousness, and the rest shall be granted to you.

May the Grace and peace of Christ be with you. :blessyou:

I, too, have periods of what I would call spiritual dryness and emptiness.

I have spoken to my priest about this and he said it is so important to persevere in prayer during these times. He said the prayers we offer during these times are more precious to God because we are doing them out of obedience and love rather than how it makes us feel.

He also shared with me that one of the most important prayers we can say every day is the morning offering prayer:

Dear Lord Jesus, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer you my day: my work, my rest, my prayers, my joys and my sufferings, for the intentions of Your Most Sacred Heart, in union with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass offered today, in reparation for my sins, for the intentions of my friends and family, for the intentions of our Holy Father Pope Benedict the XVI and for (any special intention here).

By starting our day this way, we have just offered everything we do and say, all day, to Our Lord. It makes our whole day a prayer to God! On top of this, you can offer your feelings of emptiness, anxiety, etc. to Jesus as well, and become part of the process of redemption for others (thus called redemptive suffering). When I’m going through a rough time, or having pain, I just say “I offer this to You, Jesus, for whoever is in most need of Your Mercy and Grace.” Sometimes I just whisper to Him “Jesus, I trust in You.”

It’s pretty hard to feel useless, or feel a void when you know that each day you are doing spiritual warfare for the salvation of souls! Just think that someday we’ll get to meet all those in heaven who benefitted from our prayer, and to meet all those who prayed for us!

You have been offered a gift. Jesus is calling you. Please be assured that God has a purpose for you. God created you with everything that you need to fulfill his purpose. Please be patient. I know that you feel empty with no purpose or how you describe it as a void. Offer that void to Jesus. Give it to him as a gift and ask him to fill it with his love. He will use this experience that you are going through for some use later in your life. Hold true to the course that he has laid out for you. You are doing the most important thing that you can do right now, following his call. He loves you so, go to him with an open heart. You already mentioned the answer, to pray to Him. One other suggestion would be to find a weekend retreat to attend. Examine the gifts that God has bless you with. There are a lot of people who are all alone especially the elderly. Look for someone that you can help and serve. Keep your eyes open and follow your heart. God will NOT desert you, he with you right now.

I’ll keep you in my prayers. God bless you.

Dear Paris Blues and Lazerlike 42,

It is good that you feel a ‘tug’ to serve God. But please don’t let this excitement turn into anxiety, an energy and time killer, build up and eat away at you. Anxiety in any field, be it God or work or relationships, is not healthy. Before Jesus arose into Heaven, He left us His Peace. Remember this, and ask Jesus to help you enjoy His Gift of Peace if only for a moment.

’ …I don’t have much time for that sort of thing.’ was an earlier quote regarding how the job and college-life takes up so much time. Recognize that everyone is busy: career, commuting, children, families, yard work, the dog, college classes after 9 hours at work-plus homework, etc. Everybody is busy.

You must take control and prioritize whats important to you. God must come first, then everything else. Think about this: If you won’t make time for God, why are you upset God doesn’t have time for you? Right now, life is backwards and you have to correct it, one baby step at a time.

Please take this restless energy and indecision and apply it to the Church, serving Her directly, and by serving your fellow brothers and sisters with Charity (of Faith, Hope,and Charity).

Charity: donate blood to the Red Cross, clean out the closet and donate the clothes, mow the lawn of the widow in the neighborhood, donate your old newspapers to the Humane Society, etc.

Church: I concur with the previous writer to spend some time in Eucharistic Adoration (this is the Year of the Eucharist)-asking God for clearer vision on your calling (start w/ 15 minutes-no joke). Also, I suggest praying to the Holy Spirit for Its Seven Gifts prayers.viarosa.com/HolySpirit7Gifts.html.
Talk to the priest about your ‘itchy foot.’ Offer to help him around the parish. I did when I was restless, and boy did he appreciated it: I weeded the gardens (saving $$ to our parish), still teach 7th & 8th grade Cathecism (short on teachers so I did it and still doing it), and was the Wedding Coordinator for a year (free, once again).

Oh, and ask about a good Bible study. I say ‘good’ because some are just social gathers and some are STUDIES. I suggest the STUDIES for you both, a good beginning study.

Maybe what you want and what God wants are two separate things. Don’t be afraid, God knows you can do it that’s why He wants you to follow Him.

Keep in touch.

MrsCinMI

I think you misunderstood me. God is by far the number one thing in my life. I am upset not that He doesn’t have time for me, but that try as I might I can’t find time for Him. I try very hard to rearrange my schedule and do whatever I can to make time for God. I also spend tons of time studying theology and pray a lot, but that’s the extent of what I can do, because by the time their is time for that it is 2am. I wasn’t saying I’m anxious or whatever, I was trying to say that in spite of all of that I am finding more peace and trying to give it as a happy story for Paris.

[quote=Lazerlike42]At the least I can offer this short little tidbit.

[/quote]

there are things you can do for God in any job… in the way you
do business, the way you accompolish your tasks… Opus Dei’s
founder, Saint Josemaría Escrivá, has written a lot about the sanctifying value of ordinary work…

escrivaworks.org/

oh,

Opus Dei (“Work of God,” in Latin) is a hierarchical institution of the Catholic Church, a personal prelature. Its purpose is to contribute to the evangelizing mission of the Church. Specifically, it educates people about the universal call to sanctity and the sanctifying value of ordinary work. Opus Dei was founded by Saint Josemaría Escrivá in 1928.

find happiness within yourself… the outside will fall into place…

:slight_smile:

Hi Paris:wave:
When you’re feeling empty inside, get busy helping others in need. It will give you a sense of purpose. It works every time. Don’t over-analyze your feelings, just look around you for less fortunate people and do something good for them.

I’m sure you know enough to stay very close to the sacraments.

Blessings,
Shannin

there are things you can do for God in any job… in the way you do business, the way you accompolish your tasks… Opus Dei’s founder, Saint Josemaría Escrivá, has written a lot about the sanctifying value of ordinary work…

I’m aware of this… at the same time I’m aware that there’s only so much one can do in the specific context of a specific job without getting fired or something.

The only thing I can imagine would be applicable would be to suffer through it and raise up that suffering as a sacrifice to God, but I see problems with that. We’re supposed to suffer for God, not suffer by being away from Him (in the sense I mean it). Moreso, it’s just that whatever a person can do for God at their job, maybe the person wants to do a whole lot more. It doesn’t square with me that a person can offer up to God his suffering over not doing more for God… :confused:

[quote=Lazerlike42]I’m aware of this… at the same time I’m aware that there’s only so much one can do in the specific context of a specific job without getting fired or something.

The only thing I can imagine would be applicable would be to suffer through it and raise up that suffering as a sacrifice to God, but I see problems with that. We’re supposed to suffer for God, not suffer by being away from Him (in the sense I mean it). Moreso, it’s just that whatever a person can do for God at their job, maybe the person wants to do a whole lot more. It doesn’t square with me that a person can offer up to God his suffering over not doing more for God… :confused:
[/quote]

well, then maybe you need to consider something more, as you
said earlier…

whatever you decide, i hope you find the fulfilment you seek…

:slight_smile:

[quote=shannin]When you’re feeling empty inside, get busy helping others in need. It will give you a sense of purpose. It works every time. Don’t over-analyze your feelings, just look around you for less fortunate people and do something good for them.
[/quote]

i fully agree. in those cases we need action, and to remember that we are always in the hands of God.

[quote=Lazerlike42]I think you misunderstood me. God is by far the number one thing in my life. I am upset not that He doesn’t have time for me, but that try as I might I can’t find time for Him. I try very hard to rearrange my schedule and do whatever I can to make time for God. I also spend tons of time studying theology and pray a lot, but that’s the extent of what I can do, because by the time their is time for that it is 2am. I wasn’t saying I’m anxious or whatever, I was trying to say that in spite of all of that I am finding more peace and trying to give it as a happy story for Paris.
[/quote]

You can give The Lord every blink of your eye, every breath that you take, every tic and squirm and itch of your body. You can go to work and be Christ’s representative in the midst of your co-workers, thereby you will no longer have to worry about not having time for Him because all your time will be HIS.

[quote=LSK]You can give The Lord every blink of your eye, every breath that you take, every tic and squirm and itch of your body. You can go to work and be Christ’s representative in the midst of your co-workers, thereby you will no longer have to worry about not having time for Him because all your time will be HIS.
[/quote]

I’m aware of this… at the same time I’m aware that there’s only so much one can do in the specific context of a specific job without getting fired or something. I mean, in a lot of places being Christ’s representative is enough to get a person fired. As I’ve already said, if I had any options I would pick another job.

The only thing I can imagine would be applicable would be to suffer through it and raise up that suffering as a sacrifice to God, but I see problems with that. We’re supposed to suffer for God, not suffer by being away from Him (in the sense I mean it). Moreso, it’s just that whatever a person can do for God at their job, maybe the person wants to do a whole lot more. It doesn’t square with me that a person can offer up to God his suffering over not doing more for God…

Well you’re in good company…Mother Theresa felt the same way many times. Give yourself in service to others…and don’t look for a reciprocal return. Often when we feel empty, if we give of ourselves, God fills us with His love. So find a way to volunteer to help someone in need. You might seek a spiritual director to help you through this time, too.

“Baby steps!”

I’ve been reading “A Story of A Soul” by St. Therese of Lisieux. I find it amazing and comforting that like the OP and Lazerlike, she too, had doubts about her faith. She wanted deeply to start her life with Christ, but was told on many, many occassions that she was either “not ready” or “too young” to start. So she made a concious effort to live a life in Christ with her “little ways.”

Do whatever you can to increase your faith. Take a prayerbook to work, and on breaks, pray the prayers. I’ve also in the past kept my Bible in the car, and on lunch breaks, I go there to read Scripture. Say little prayers throughout the day, before you start work, when you’re stuck on a problem, after work. I’ve found even during my dreariest times in my own faith (lack of time, busy mom cauffering kids), these have sustained me to the point where I can dedicate more time to it.

I don’t know who said this, but “Patience is a virtue.” Know in your heart that God is pleased with what you can do, and as long as you continue to strive, even when the pace slows down a bit, to grow closer to God and to holiness, He cannot be nothing but pleased.

St. Therese of Lisieux

God Bless You! :blessyou:
Tonks40

Guys,

I appreciate your suggestions but I’m in my last years of college and I am doing homework everysingle day pretty much. I know that sounds like an excuse but it’s true! Have too much reading to do plus writing a weird writing assignment plus doing Adobe Illustrator, etc. etc. However, I will pray and keep on perservering as I finish up college and RCIA!

Speaking of RCIA, the beginning of October is where I get moved up to the next level! The Rite of Welcome I think!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.