Help me name my fish!

I’m getting fish today and then taking them to the church for the blessing of pets for the feast day of St. Francis! It’s been a little while since I’ve had fish, so I’m starting with simple guppies (and maybe a frog). :slight_smile:

So… if any of you want to offer cool Catholic fish names, have at it!! If I get a lot of submissions I may add middle names too :smiley: I’m not sure how many fishes I’ll get.

1 Like

Peter, of course.

4 Likes

St. Neot or St. Peter (or St. Andrew). Maybe Zebedee?

1 Like

I actually had a Peter the first time a long time ago!!! I’ll have Peter 2.0

1 Like

Boy: Augustine (Gus)

Girl: Margaret (Maggie)

3 Likes

Also James, John, Andrew, Zebedee, and Jonah

2 Likes

I’m glad you reminded me it was Pet Blessing Sunday. I’m almost always out of town when they have it. This year I am not traveling, so I took one of my cats to represent the family and take the blessing home.

2 Likes

What kind of fish is it? If it is a member of Cyprinidae, Polycarp.

7 Likes

Haha I’m clearly out of sync with the community here. :joy:

Other suggestions are for human Christian names like Peter, Margaret, James.

My first thoughts are goofy non-words like Blubble, or Jonah (as someone else said), or related to Jonah, just the straight up Hebrew words for the great fish that swallowed Jonah (seemingly something like: Dag Gadowl? Dagadowl?). If it were me I might be tempted to name them variations of ‘Dag’ (fish) with modifying adjectives. Not least because according to Strong’s concordance apparently it’s pronounced ‘dawg’, as in dog, and that amuses me, to call a fish dog.

:fish::dog:

4 Likes

Cuff and link. famous turtles from a classic film with Catholic themes

3 Likes

Hey nonhuman names are fine too!! I’m definitely naming one of them Eggroll

2 Likes

Y’all. Some of these fish are gonna have 3-4 names lol

2 Likes

Fry …this would be good

4 Likes

There’s always Levi —short for leviathan.

And I don’t know if you remember a poster from the real old days whose name was Ghoti—look up how you can spell ‘fish’ as ghoti for a chuckle.

1 Like

If your fish is small, timid, and harmless-looking, you could call it Jaws.

3 Likes

this is an easy one: ABRAHAM!!!

In honor of Gary COleman’s goldfish in the awesome Different STrokes show.

3 Likes

You could name your fish Francis. Francis the Fish. Sounds appropriate to me. St. Francis would be flattered.

I have a (stray) cat pet that I named Frank. He looks like Frank, with icy blue eyes. He waits for me to fill his food dish (outside) and will not start eating it until I have patted him on his head. Such a gentleman (except around other male cats–then he is the Champ!).

2 Likes

Or you could name him : BAIT (Or FINN) Or Fisher Stevens :wink:

1 Like

I was going to refrain from suggesting “Filet” until you wrote that!
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :scream: :crazy_face:

2 Likes

How many fishes do you have?

You can name one of them Mu Shu and another Dumpling.

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.