Help me understand "Forgive us as we do to those who tresspass against us..."

I have always wondered what this part of the Our Father meant. Does it mean that the way we deal and forgive those who wronged us is the same way God will deal and forgive us? Thanks in advance.

vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__PAB.HTM

Yes. And it sure gives one pause when contemplating it.

If we are truly sorry for our sins God has already forgiven us.God expects us to forgive others to the measure He has forgiven us.

I remember in grade 2 (many years ago) we were reading a story where the little girl was saying her bed time prayers with her mother. And when it came to ‘forgive us our trepasses as we have forgiven those who have trust passed against us’ the little girl feel silent. She did not want to say that when she remembered the resentment she had in her heart against another.

So for years, since I enjoyed holding resentments, I would simply fall silent at that part of the prayer;)

I am now more mature and try harder so I now twist the words to ‘forgive me my trepasses and show me how to forgive those who have trust passed against me’

What can I say honesty is improtant to me:D

Right after Jesus gives the Our Father in Matthew 6, he goes on to say, “for if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you; but if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.” It is good you notice this, because most Christians don’t realize what they are praying as they pray this. It means that we are asking God to forgive us in the same measure that we forgive others. As we pray this, we should strive to live a life of forgiveness.
There is also the parable in the Gospel of St. Matthew about an unforgiving servant, in which the master stands for God. The master’s servant owed him a large amount of money and the master was going to sell his servant for the debt because of this. But when the servant fell on his knees and asked for forgiveness, the master out of pity forgave him. But then this same servant met a second servant who owed him money. After this second servant fell on his knees and asked for forgiveness, the first servant would not forgive him and had him put into prison. When the master heard this he was angry and rebuked the first servant for not forgiving when he, the master, had forgiven him, and he had the first servant put into prison. God will act just like this master, Jesus then says (Matthew 18:23-35).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.