Help me with something..

I have always been wondering, how do Protestant Pastors become Pastors? To become a Catholic Priest you have to enter the Seminary(sp). There are over tens of thousands Protestant Groups, but do they have a lineage. A Catholic Priests’ line can be traced all way to St. Peter.

I always wanted to know but most of my protestant friends can’t answer it, can anyone answer it for me? :confused:

Most, but not all, Protestant denominations require pastors to be seminary graduates. A few allow anyone to just get up, start preaching, and claim the title.

Most pastors have a seminary education. They have to meet an extensive list of requirements, which varies somewhat from one group to another.
As Bob pointed out, there are a few groups that seem to hand out ordination papers to anybody, but that is not the norm. This is a rare thing, especially today. A hundred years ago, if there was a lack of of a minister for a church, there was less emphasis on education than on spirituality & knowledge of the Bible.
God bless.

i have a protestant friend and he is studying pastoral theology in a protestant school.

I understand that there are protestant schools out there. But how far does the lineage of pastors go back? We have a chain of Popes that has never been broken. Do they have a chain of Pastors that go all the way back to Martin Luther?

The Anglican church claims apostolic succession although it is not recognized by the Catholic church. The same goes for some of the Catholic schismatic groups. I am not aware of any other protestants who make any claim to any kind of succession or put any importance in it.

Each denomination has its own requirements and procedures. Want to become an ordained minister in the Universal Life Church? Just fill out a form online, here:

ulc.net/

[quote=urquhart]Each denomination has its own requirements and procedures. Want to become an ordained minister in the Universal Life Church? Just fill out a form online, here:

ulc.net/
[/quote]

We are lucky that our ministers (priests, bishops, pope) just dont fill out some form eh! They are not just came from somewhere else! :rotfl: :rotfl:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.