Help, need doll

I have spent the day trying to find an alternative to buying my daughters American Girl Dolls.

I don’t want to support them and their agenda. But I also don’t want ugly dolls, and I can’t really be buying $100 dolls for my 4 daughters.

I am sure others have found alternatives, but I sure am having trouble.

Thanks for any suggestions

I just wanted to pop over here to ask if you knew that American Girl has pulled its support for Girls Inc, the instigating/offending company that supports planned parenthood. They will no longer be supporting an agenda that conflicts with our Catholic faith.
However, of course it is your choice whether or not to continue to support them despite this change of heart/strategy.
Jess

Thanks, well that takes care of the moral delimna, still have the financial and the appearance problem. Any decent looking, modest 18" dolls out there that I don’t need a second mortgage to afford?

Gotz dolls
dollcloset.com/Precious_Day_Doll_Collection_by_Gotz.html

Playful Saint Dolls
catholicchild.com/products.asp?dept=18

Our Generation, okay, not great
target.com/gp/browse.html/ref=sc_fe_l_1_1041576_19/601-9508575-2339322?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=1041590

Christian, but not Catholic
visionforum.com/beautifulgirlhood/productlist.aspx?categoryid=43

Hope that helps

nothing against your post, jennifer, but fyi: those saint dolls are HIDEOUS in real life!!! i was so disappointed when we got them. :frowning:

they look like out of proportion monkey saints! with real bad makeup jobs.

[quote=sanctareparata]nothing against your post, jennifer, but fyi: those saint dolls are HIDEOUS in real life!!! i was so disappointed when we got them. :frowning:

they look like out of proportion monkey saints! with real bad makeup jobs.
[/quote]

I was just offering links! It’s not like I MADE the dolls! :smiley: Thanks for the info, though. I’ll refrain from passing the link on anymore.

I know, jennifer, i wasn’t meaning to be rude. i just wanted to let the OP know we weren;t happy with our purchases…

The walmart version of an American girl type doll althoough modern dress is quite nice, Tolly doll. (You can buy all kinds of home made period dress on line from seamstresses that make them especially for "18 dolls. Target dolls have an odd skin color but I think Walmart looks very good. My daughter has 2 and she gets asked which American girl doll is that? Much cheaper as well.

Well I just checked Walmarts website and it looks like they don’t carry them anymore. But I found similar dolls on Amazon by the same company “Girls on the Go” dolls by Tolly Tots. Here’s a link. Their only $19.99
amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002BSTYQ/ref=pd_bxgy_text_1/002-5141532-6329613?v=glance&s=toys

The Girls on the Go are great!

Check Michaels arts and crafts stores in their doll making section. They carry some 18-in dolls (can’t recall how nice they are), and a selection of clothing and accessories.

There are a LOT of patterns for clothing for 18-inch dolls. Just search in Google (my search was doll clothing patterns 18-inch).

'thann

thann, good idea about Michael’s but if you have a Hobby Lobby in your town, check there first. They choose to close on Sunday’s so their employees can go to Church and spend time with families - this is certainly countercultural for a large company!

BTW, I think the My Generation Dolls (I think that is what they are called) from Target are nice but are generally carried around Christmas time.

Brenda V.

Planned parenthood offers much more than Birth control that is unaccepted by the catholics.

John

Good Catholics are dedicating their whole lives to this message.

pureloveclub.com/seminars/index.php?id=30

christopherwest.com/

sexrespect.com/

priestsforlife.org/

omsoul.com/

silentnomoreawareness.org/

No flaming was Intended and I am sorry if that was percieved

I am not good at making a point obviously but when you see over 700 girls from your graduating class that had at least one baby since 7th grade it kind of hit a nerve…

again please accept my apologies if you took this as a flame that was not the intention, was trying to point out that although some thing we do not believe in are still needed to much degree

John

We found a doll company that my daughter loved as an alternative to getting an American Girl doll. True, it doesn’t have any of the period costuming, and it is not any type of faith based or values based product, but the dolls are pretty and my daughters love them.
the website is www.corolledolls.com
We got the Camille doll and 3 outfits for way less than the American doll would have been.

Arlene

[quote=she_he]ok so you dont buy from a company that supports what is against catholic faith? the above example being planned parenthood.
John
[/quote]

Dear John,
Start your own thread and don’t hijack this one, please!
Jennifer

[quote=Arlene]We found a doll company that my daughter loved as an alternative to getting an American Girl doll. True, it doesn’t have any of the period costuming, and it is not any type of faith based or values based product, but the dolls are pretty and my daughters love them.
the website is www.corolledolls.com
We got the Camille doll and 3 outfits for way less than the American doll would have been.

Arlene
[/quote]

I am so glad to see another company pick up the slack for the expensive American Girl Dolls. When my youngest was younger she liked to play with her friend who had American Girl Dolls and then we discovered the Magic Attic Dolls - much less expensive, had stories to go with them.

I bought my daughter a couple of these dolls so she would then bring them with her to play dolls with her friend who had American Girl ones (given to her by a Grandma). The girls had a blast, they didn’t care that the dolls were two different brands!

Then when my daughter grew out of doll playing other companies started making them from the dolls you can get at Target to I guess the ones you can get at Wal-Mart :smiley:

Brenda V.

Does anyone know that if American Girl Dolls are still supporting women’s reproduction and abortion? My daughter wants an “American Girl Doll” and I am showing her the alternatives. She does not like anything else. I told her I would research it because she really wants these dolls.

American Girl never “supported” either of these things. They gave money to Girls, Inc for science and technology related activities and some website links.

Girls, Inc as an organization did support the “reproductive rights” agenda, along with a lesbian agenda.

I participated in the letter writing campaign to American Girl back in 2005 asking them to rethink their relationship with Girls, Inc.

They did discontinue their relationship with Girls, Inc.

They are not currently supporting any groups with an objectionable agenda or activities.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.