Help! Need references condemning Liturgical abuses!

Some friends of mine go to a parish with some liturgical abuses.

Does anyone know what documents condemn inclusive language?

Also, can a priest use the Apostle’s Creed instead of the Nicene Creed? If not, where does it say this?

Thanks!

[quote=Genesis315]Some friends of mine go to a parish with some liturgical abuses.

Does anyone know what documents condemn inclusive language?

Also, can a priest use the Apostle’s Creed instead of the Nicene Creed? If not, where does it say this?

Thanks!
[/quote]

I just read this somewhere. I think it can only be done at a children’s mass (school mass). I’ll look.

[quote=JKirkLVNV]I just read this somewhere. I think it can only be done at a children’s mass (school mass). I’ll look.
[/quote]

Yeah, i’ve heard that too. The biggie is the inclusive language. I pulled up the GIRM on the USCCB website, but I don’t even know where to begin.

Your first reference should be the General Instruction of the Roman Missaland you can also look at Redemptionis Sacramentumthere are other documents, but these are the major ones currently in use. Note that in the United States some aspects of Redemptionis Sacramentum are not in force because that document is an “instruction” and instructions do not override “particular law.” Because of the seriousness of this, there is a dubium (the Latin means “a doubt” – but it’s really a question) regarding the weight of this instruction. The death of Pope John Paul II has slowed the response to this, but I would expect a response in the next six months or so.

Deacon Ed

Thanks!

Here’s an aswer for your second question. If you look in the sacramentary it says “In celebrations of Masses with children, the Apostles Creed may be said after the homily” So the answer to that question is that if it’s a childrens mass you can say the Apostles Creed. An example of that would be having a weekday mass, lets say a friday, for a catholic grade school and the kids particapate in the mass by serving, reading, ect. But you can’t say the Apostles Creed on Sundays or any weekday mass that requires the Creed if it is not specifically a Childrens mass.

I don’t know the answer to the other question but if I find out I’ll post another form for you.

Speaking of litugical abuses…we had a fill in Priest at Mass last weekend and he didn’t even do any creed. He went right from the Homily right into the prayer of the faithful. So, I said the creed silently while they were doing the collections.

Maybe he forgot? This happens to us oldies!

Maybe it is a case of “The Rose Joke” where one of “us” forgot his wife’s name and needed a reminder:

The Rose Joke

Two elderly couples were walking down the street one day; the wives were about twenty paces ahead of the gents.

One of the old fellows said to the other:

“Have you been doing anything interesting lately?”

The second old man replied:

“Well, yes, as a matter of fact, my wife and I went to a very good restaurant lately.”

“Oh yes”, said the first man, “what was the name of the restaurant?”

“Gosh”, said the second man, "Ummmmm…

“Ahhhhhh, what’s…what’s the name of that, ahhh, that flower - you know - with, ahhhh, with thorns all around it?”

“Hmmmmm”, said the first old man, “do you mean a rose?”

“Yes, yes, a rose”, replied the second man, “a rose!”

And calling ahead to his wife, he asked:

“Hey, Rose, what was the name of that restaurant that we went to last week?”

Just go find a Traditional Latin Mass and forget about all that sillyness in the typical Novus Ordo church.

[quote=OrthoCath]Just go find a Traditional Latin Mass and forget about all that sillyness in the typical Novus Ordo church.
[/quote]

Oh I do, but I’ve got friends who don’t have one anywhere near.

[quote=Sean O L]Maybe he forgot? This happens to us oldies!

[/quote]

That is possible. Since he was an elderly (probably retired) priest. I suppose we should be greatful we had a priest at all after waht happened the last time our priest went on vacation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.