Help needed with fussy infant and baby acne

Our new baby is now 3 months old and a real joy to us. He used to wake up a few times at night to nurse (quite naturally). However, now he is very fussy and wakes up every 2 hours. We are trying to determine the cause. He has some bad baby acne and my wife thinks this is causing him to wake up. I thought it was because it was too hot in the room. Last night I cranked down the AC but he still woke up alot.

(On a side note, I also think the house being too hot and the baby being overdressed with long sleeves is causing the baby acne. We have been keeping it at 77 degrees but now I am turning down the air when I leave for work. My mom said the baby's fat will keep him warm and that we don't have to bundle him up so much).

I've noticed that our baby tries to turn over in his bassinet and gets frustrated when he bumps up against the side. I think maybe graduating him to a crib will help him sleep since he will have more room. Still, he still wakes up at night in his bassinet while sleeping on his back, even after having breast fed.

Could our baby be starting to teeth early?

I know that sleep training is supposed to begin at 3 months. We failed to sleep train our daughter and she did not begin to sleep by herself through the night until she turned 4 this year. Any advice or help on starting and maintaining good, independent sleeping for our baby would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Baby acne is normal and doesn't normally cause other problems to my knowledge. Teething is totally possible. I also don't think most sleep training programs are recommended before 6 months. I recommend Kim West Good Night Sleep Tight for a middle of the road sleep solution (not no-cry or cry it out)... She gives suggestions at various ages for establishing good sleep patterns without leaving baby alone to cry.

Thanks for your book suggestion and help, mini_me. I appreciate it.

Sounds to me like he’s going through a growth spurt. My 3 kids all did that between 3 and 4 months. Waking more often, not satisfied after nursing, etc…Do you ever use formula? I know so many nursing mothers hate the sound of that word, but the fact is that formula is ok to give babies. AND it certainly doesnt mean she’s failed in some way as a mom if formula supplementing is necessary. Sometimes they’re more satisfied after a bottle of formula. I used to nurse during the day and give a bottle of formula just before bed. It made a world of difference. Maybe you could introduce some rice cereal as well. I doubt the acne is bothering the baby.
And 77° is too warm, in my opinion, but that’s just me. I would definitely move the baby to a crib too. Once they’re mobile (even a little) it’s time to move them out of the bassinet.
I’m a firm believer that often times, once your child is in a routine for a while, they like to switch it up and throw you a curveball. Staying consistent is always key in getting a routine established. But learn to expect the unexpected sometimes. Good luck :slight_smile:

I would get him out of your bedroom and into a crib. You know the longer you let him get accustomed to your sleep cycles, the harder it will be to train him to sleep on his own. I nursed both of my sons and they were always in a crib next door to our room. You can get a baby monitor if you need to.

You aren't sleeping as well as you would either - parents don't sleep as deeply with a baby in the room or worse, in the bed.

It could be teething, it could be a growth spurt. He might need more food to settle back down again. He's only about 2 mos away from being able to eat his first semi-solid food.

It may be a food allergy. My niece had “baby acne” but when we looked back on the pictures of her we realized that the “baby acne” was actually hives. And she would fuss and wail all night because her little stomach hurt so badly-another sign of food allergy.

Is your wife eating a lot of peanut butter?

[quote="TranquilAbiding, post:1, topic:241947"]
Our new baby is now 3 months old and a real joy to us. He used to wake up a few times at night to nurse (quite naturally). However, now he is very fussy and wakes up every 2 hours. We are trying to determine the cause. He has some bad baby acne and my wife thinks this is causing him to wake up. I thought it was because it was too hot in the room. Last night I cranked down the AC but he still woke up alot.

(On a side note, I also think the house being too hot and the baby being overdressed with long sleeves is causing the baby acne. We have been keeping it at 77 degrees but now I am turning down the air when I leave for work. My mom said the baby's fat will keep him warm and that we don't have to bundle him up so much).

I've noticed that our baby tries to turn over in his bassinet and gets frustrated when he bumps up against the side. I think maybe graduating him to a crib will help him sleep since he will have more room. Still, he still wakes up at night in his bassinet while sleeping on his back, even after having breast fed.

Could our baby be starting to teeth early?

I know that sleep training is supposed to begin at 3 months. We failed to sleep train our daughter and she did not begin to sleep by herself through the night until she turned 4 this year. Any advice or help on starting and maintaining good, independent sleeping for our baby would be appreciated!

Thanks.

[/quote]

Hi, and congratulations on your new son.

I'm a mother of two grown, married daughters, and grandmother to a new baby boy, 6 weeks old. The first thing that jumped out at me is the fact that the baby is likely too hot; it is very important that the baby not be overdressed or overheated, and that air circulation be good (using a fan) so he won't re-breathe carbon dioxide. Overheating and re-breathing CO2 have been identified as likely causes of SIDS.

well.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10/06/embargo-fan-in-babys-room-lowers-sids-risk/

He should be very lightly dressed. Have you been swaddling him? There are lightweight, gauze-y swaddling blankets available, and swaddling often helps a baby sleep well, as he feels secure and can't startle himself awake.

Baby acne may be a result of hormones passing between mother and baby, and generally goes away between 4-6 months. The baby acne can actually be aggravated by the baby being too hot.

He could well be going through a growth spurt, which tend to happen at multiple times during his first year. It is natural that he would want to eat more during this time; perhaps your wife could pump breast milk so that you could help out with a feeding during the night, if necessary. Nothing beats breast milk, so try to avoid the temptation to introduce formula.

It sounds like a growth spurt. Babies do go through periods - at 3, 6, and 9 months - where they nurse more frequently. This is to help build up the mother's milk supply. It's important that you do not supplement now, as it will not stimulate your wife to produce more milk, and start a vicious cycle, which often ends in full-on formula feeding.
Moreover, 3 month old babies should not be sleeping though the night! And generally, most people recommend not 'sleep-training' before one year. Your baby still needs you at night! And there is no reason to move baby from your room ... I know I for one am too lazy to walk across the hall and deal with monitors (then again, we also co-sleep, because we all get more rest that way).
And 77 degrees does sound too hot.
As for the baby acne, if there are any other allergy signs (blood in stool, mucus-y stool, persistent diaper rash, persistent, painful gas), it could be something your wife is eating. The most common suspects are dairy and soy.

I'm an IBCLC, and your subject line immediately caught my eye! The combination of fussiness and "acne" can very often signal dairy or wheat allergy.

Moms may not feel that they sleep as deeply with a baby in the room or in the bed, but in reality, a nursing mom and her nearby baby will sync up their sleep cycles. That means instead of getting jerked awake by a cry from the other room, you and your baby will both enter a lighter sleep cycle at the same time and you may be able to help nurse baby back to sleep without even waking fully. (James McKenna at the sleep lab at Notre Dame has EEGs to prove it) I was thrilled to discover at 4mo that my son had scootched over and nursed himself back to sleep without me even noticing. The thrill, of course, only came after the panic of waking fully for the first time in the morning (ie sleeping all night) and thinking my baby must have died since he didn't wake me.

There is nothing wrong (and everything right!) with cosleeping if you do it safely and it works for you. Wherever everybody gets the best sleep will differ from family to family, and you know your family best.

Thanks very much, everyone, for your comments and helpful advice!

Tomorrow, my wife and I plan to move the crib upstairs and discontinue using the bassinet. We've been thinking of putting the crib in our daughter's room. Our room is across from our daughter's.

Do y'all think the baby crying and waking up at night would be too much of a sleep disruption for our daughter?

Thanks.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.