Help Needed with Genesis 3:22

Genesis 3:22 (New American Standard Bible)

22Then the LORD God said, “Behold, the man has become like one of (A)Us, knowing good and evil; and now, he might stretch out his hand, and take also from (**(“http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=genesis%203:22;&version=49;#cen-NASB-78B”))the tree of life, and eat, and live forever”

In talking to a Mormon, they use this passage to support multiple gods. Any help would be appreciated.

The simplest explanation is the use of the “royal we.”

In this case, a plural Hebrew word, Elohim, is used to refer to God. Some parts of Genesis use the word Yahweh instead, which is singular.

Mormons will seek support for their henotheism in verses like the one you cited. They are welcome to so seek, but their argument is not a strong one. Other explanations of those verses exist, and the weakest of them that fall in the Catholic “arena” is, I think, stronger than the Mormon explanation.

Regards,
Joe

HI Janman,

Why not an allusion to the Trinity.? But Mormons don’t believe in the Trinity do they? So perhaps the discussion is there.

God’s common name in Hebrew is Elohim, a plural form. This is the simple explanation for the plural in more than one place, the first occurrence being Gen.1,26.

Also many see the use of the plural as expressing God’s majesty, sittting in his heavenly court.

Verbum

Thanks Joe, where might I find some of the other Catholic arguments regarding the singular vs plural?

Good point, just because its plural doesn’t preclude the concept of the Trinity, but you are right the person is arguing strongly for the Mormon position…thank you this will be very helpful.

I believe GOD was speaking to Jesus here. The US refers to God and Jesus.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.