Help! Please Read!

for the past year i have felt like i am just falling away from the church.

God feels like something getting further and further away
Although there are times where i feel His presense…like everything is going to be okay

I can NEVER deny God’s existance but…sometimes i want the Lord to show me proof…(obviously the devils ideas)

i think the Lord wants more of me than i want to give.
Let me explain…It feels like i can’t be religious and regular! if that makes sense!

It feels like I have 2 choices: to be a very religious and pious person maybe a monk or priest(way to far to one side)
OR
not very religious, not think about God to much, or pray, not care about His Church, not worry what is good and bad in a religions point of view…JUST BEING GOOD without worries of punishment

Quoting sancte joseph

for the past year i have felt like i am just falling away from the church.

God feels like something getting further and further away
Although there are times where i feel His presense…like everything is going to be okay

Our feelings can come and go for many reasons. Lean always on what Faith tells us - that God is closer to us than we actually are to ourselves…i.e. God is never absent and we can always, under all circumstances, turn to him.
Our feelings do tell us in part who we are. Our Faith tells us the whole of who we are.

I can NEVER deny God’s existance but…sometimes i want the Lord to show me proof…(obviously the devils ideas)

I think probably we all can feel at times that it would be so much easier, and less confusing, if one had some sort of clear sign or proof. Again lean on Faith and on Jesus and The Gospel. Even in His own times, when people could see and hear Him, touch Him…they found it impossible, some of them, to believe.

i think the Lord wants more of me than i want to give.
Let me explain…It feels like i can’t be religious and regular! if that makes sense!

This is a really common disposition with people who are committed and spiritual. That they are not doing enough and God wants more…to discourage (which can lead to despair) is one of Satan’s favourite weapons. If you are in the state of Grace and striving to love God and also your neighbour - then leave all the rest to God and it will unfold in your path…I hope that is not confusing to you?

It feels like I have 2 choices: to be a very religious and pious person maybe a monk or priest(way to far to one side)
OR

I think you have said the answer yourself “way to far to one side…an extreme” and this can be the weapon of Satan. To discourage you. Of course you could be called to religious life or the priesthood if you have all the necessary dispositions. I dont know.

not very religious, not think about God to much, or pray, not care about His Church, not worry what is good and bad in a religions point of view…JUST BEING GOOD without worries of punishment

…there is a little seed of discouragement…fight against it and ensure to be in the state of Grace and trying to love God and your neighbour.

Over and above what I have said, mention the above to Father in Confession. The confessional is also the place of spiritual advice. You could jot down your points on a piece of paper so you don’t forget any. I have done this at times.

God bless you and as this thread unfolds, with other members sharing their thoughts and advice, I am praying that The Lord will bless you and enrich and guide you with His consolations and great Peace of heart, mind, and soul.
At times, I certainly have and I think many do, go through times when it is all confusing and darkness and hence somewhat discouraging. Keep working to sort it out and also with Father in the Confessional…it passes if we are patient - and as patient as it all may ask - and prayerful about it. I had years of it.

God bless you and yours richly…Barb:)

A curious problem, one which I have never experienced. Nor do any relevant examples of other people come to mind.

I would suggest that you look for God in other people since you state that you feel some distance.

Another thought is checking out the life story of St. Joseph of Cupertino. A movie exists about him and I am sure you can find out more with research.

Again without truly knowing the situation these suggestion are all I have to offer.

May God bless you and keep you.

Reading the other replies, I’m not sure now if I interpreted your post quite right. A couple of things you said stood out to me, though, if I understand you right. (Sorry if I didn’t!)

First, priests and religious are “regular” people, too. They make mistakes, they have problems, they do normal stuff. One of my past confessors admitted to playing a computer game! Multiplayer, even! :cool: They’re ordinary people, like you and me.

You don’t have to live in a cloister or a bubble to lead a good Christian life. You can be a “regular” person, pray, love God, go to Church, and also watch movies, read novels, etc. But you use discernment, your common sense, and a well informed conscience.

It sounds to me like maybe you’re being harder on yourself than God is. I always suggest bringing this stuff to a priest. God gave him to you as your spiritual father here on earth, don’t hesitate to be a good son and seek his counsel.

Quoting Pray4Life…

First, priests and religious are “regular” people, too. They make mistakes, they have problems, they do normal stuff. One of my past confessors admitted to playing a computer game! Multiplayer, even! :cool: They’re ordinary people, like you and me.

You don’t have to live in a cloister or a bubble to lead a good Christian life. You can be a “regular” person, pray, love God, go to Church, and also watch movies, read novels, etc. But you use discernment, your common sense, and a well informed conscience.

Excellent points re those in religious life and/or the priesthood:thumbsup: …very ordinary people in an extraordinary way of life in today’s culture. But the Grace of their vocation is with them to support and guide them…as it is with all calls and vocations from God.

It sounds to me like maybe you’re being harder on yourself than God is

…another insightful point!:thumbsup:

I always suggest bringing this stuff to a priest. God gave him to you as your spiritual father here on earth, don’t hesitate to be a good son and seek his counsel

…and again:thumbsup: …

I think I’ve gone through what you’re feeling. It seems like you can either be a really good Catholic, always obey every teaching and be pious at all times, everywhere. Avoid any frivilous situation that does not direct attention and devotion to Our Lord and Lady.

Or you can be a regular person, go out and enjoy yourself, face moral obstacles as they come without any set rules or guidelines. It would be more relaxing, not having to police yourself all the time. You wouldn’t have to worry about things like Mass or a State of Grace.

Neither of these, in my opinion, are pleasing to God.

We are not meant to be legalisitc. We are not meant to be reletavistic. Catholic is more than our faith, it’s who we are. Do you have to think all the time "make sure I am being sancte joseph? No, it comes naturally.

Our faith is the same. Being Catholic should breathe. It should flow through you. It takes a lot of practice, but we need to not focus on the rules and regulation, but focus on the love and prayers.

I am not advocating going willy nilly into sin if that’s what ‘flows’ from you. I am advocating getting past where rules have to guide us, and we avoid sin and pray just because it’s what we do.

Imagine if you didn’t sin because the idea of it didn’t occur to you. You got up to go to Mass, not forcing yourself, but because nothing else should take up that time. That’s what I’m talking about.

It’s hard to get there, and I’m not saying I’ve done it. But it is possible to be a regular person and be a good Catholic. Find good, clean fun. Some good hard work every now and then. Pray while you do it. Not prayers like long, memorized devotions (though these too have their place) but just short comments to God, Christ, The Saints, Mary, throughout the day.

In short, incorporate more prayer and devotion into your daily life. Have your seperate prayer time, your formal prayer time, but as you go through your day doing normal things, have Christ with you then too; as you see Churches, or pray, or think about teachings in a more lighthearted way. Do not take your faith so solemnly, and I think you’ll not feel so distant.

Trult truly truly…i thank you all
today i had time and read All of your replies…i feel somewhat at peace

i wrote this in my spiritual journal one day… i just wrote october as the date

“I feel okay today…i think i have found a balance.i don’t fell tempted or bothered or worried
i feel great . this can only be because of God…O how loving He is how great is His mercy
I truly feel peace in my heart that even if worries come into my mind they are destroyed…with God there is peace even when worries and evil is around”

anyway…the reason i sometimes felt like going away from the church is because the closer i tried to get to the Lord the more difficult it became…more worries and temptations…well one day thinking of this issue i grabbed the diary of st.faustina…and just read what i opened it to…
it said…

that the sister faustina(already a nun) tried to get away from the Lord…because she had heard how the temptations against purity grew…so she was worried and tried to keep her distance from God
but she had a vision of Jesus wearing a golden cinture, he took it off and tied it around her waist saying something like sins against purity will not tempt you

that comforted me as if the Lord was saying “don’t be afraid of getting closer to me…temptations and worries will not over come you”

Anyway thank you all for your replies…GOD BLESS YOU!

You know, I sometimes feel the same way. Personally, I think it has do with how fulfilling you deem your faith to be, because in both cases, you’re looking for something more fulfilling. Unfortunately, I don’t have an answer. I’ve found it very hard to discern God’s will, and you can only wait for Him to reveal His plan for you. I guess I’ll have to fall back on my favorite motto, that He never meant it to be easy. God bless you!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.