Help please with once saved always saved/eternally assured salvation

So, I am working on a personal project compiling and examining every verse that can be used to show once saved always saved/eternally assured salvation vs. a need to maintain our salvation. I hope to finish it before Christmas and I will post it here.

What I would greatly appreciate ya’lls help with is this: please reply with any and all sources (Preferably: Old Testament, New Testament, & deuteronomical books; but saint quotes or Church council results would be greatly appreciated as well) you can think of that show either side. I want to (ideally) have every verse and most of the major Apostolic sources on the topic. Thanks in advance for the help.

Hi TxGodfollower :slight_smile:

For those who believe in OSAS I normally quote the parable of the unforgiving servant -

Once saved always saved I believe is like saying, once the debt is forgiven it’s always forgiven, however, in this parable, we see that by the refusal to show that same mercy, His debt was reinstated. This is my understanding of faith and works.

For those who believe in OSAS, I would encourage them to Instead of looking to OSAS, to be looking to the divine mercy of God, (St Faustina).

Divine Mercy Image - St. Faustina

s8.postimg.org/422f1cyxh/Christ_9.jpg

Jesus to St Faustina -

"These two rays issued forth from the very depths of My tender mercy when My agonized Heart was opened by a lance on the Cross." (Diary, 299)

"My mercy is greater than your sins and those of the entire world. Who can measure the extent of my goodness? For you I descended from heaven to earth; for you I allowed myself to be nailed to the cross; for you I let my Sacred Heart be pierced with a lance, thus opening wide the source of mercy for you. Come, then, with trust to draw graces from this fountain. I never reject a contrite heart." (Diary, 1485).

"Oh, if sinners knew My mercy, they would not perish in such great numbers. Tell sinful souls not to be afraid to approach Me; speak to them of My great mercy" (Diary, 1396).

I hope this has helped

God Bless

Thank you for reading
Josh

I found this list some time ago, and I don’t think all of these verses are that good for proving your point. However, you asked for an exhaustive list, and here is one produced by somebody:

1 John 2: 24-25

2 John 9-11

James 5: 19-20

2 Peter 1: 10-11

2 Peter 2: 20-22

Matthew 7: 13-15

Romans 11: 20-21

Hebrews 2: 1-3

Hebrews 4: 9-11

Hebrews 6: 4-8

Hebrews 10: 26-31

Hebrews 10: 35-39

Hebrews 12: 14

Hebrews 12: 25

2 Timothy 2: 11-13

James 1: 12-15

1 Peter 2: 2-3

2 Peter 3: 17-18

1 John 2: 3-6

1 John 2: 28-29

1 John 5: 16-17
(John speaks of deadly sin)

Romans 2 3-11

1 Peter 5: 8-11

2 Timothy 4:6-8

2 Timothy 3:14-17
1 Timothy 2:15

1 Timothy 4:16

1 Timothy 6:10-12

1 Timothy 1:18-20

2 Timothy 4:3-4

1 Thessalonians 3: 5

1 Thessalonians 4: 6-8

Philippians 2: 12

Phillipians 3: 11-16

Romans 13: 11-14

Ephesians 5: 5-6

Colossians 1: 21-23

Colossians 2: 6-8

Colossians 2: 18-19

Galatians 3: 3-5

Galatians 4: 9

Galatians 6: 6-9

Galatians 5: 19-21

2 Corinthians 11: 3

1 Timothy 5: 8

Matthew 5: 13

Matthew 10: 21-22

Matthew 10: 32-33

Matthew 24: 12-14

1 Corinthians 4: 3-5

1 Corinthians 6: 8-10
1 Corinthians 9: 26-27

1 Corinthians 10: 11-12

1 Corinthians 13: 2

1 Corinthians 15: 1-2

Matthew 6: 14-15

Matthew 7: 12-27 (see also Luke 6: 43-49)

Matthew 25: 31-46

Luke 8: 11-15

John 15: 1-6

John 15: 9-14

John 3: 35-36

Revelation 2: 4-5

Revelation 2: 10

Revelation 3: 1-5

1 Thessalonians 5: 2-11

Revelation 3: 15-16

Revelation 22: 21

Jude 1: 20-25

Eternal Security Refuted from Scripture

Matthew 24:13
“He who endures to the end will be saved.”

Matthew 25:31-46
31"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. 32All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. 34"Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’ 37"Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’ 40"The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’ 41"Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’
44"They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’ 45"He will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’ 46"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

Romans 11:22
“See then the kindness and the severity of God: severity toward those who have fallen, but God’s kindness to you, provided you continue in his kindness; otherwise you too will be cut off”

Hebrews 10:26-29
26If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, 27but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God. 28Anyone who rejected the law of Moses died without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. 29How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace?

2 Peter 2:20-21
20If they have escaped the corruption of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and are again entangled in it and overcome, they are worse off at the end than they were at the beginning. 21It would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than to have known it and then to turn their backs on the sacred command that was passed on to them.

Assurance of Salvation Refuted from Scripture

1 John 5:13
These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God. (1 John 5:13)

Matthew 7:21
Not everyone who says to me, “Lord, Lord” shall enter the kingdom of heaven.

Philippians 2:12
Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

REFUTATION OF ARGUMENTS FOR OSAS

The story of the prodigal son pretty much says it all. The son left the household on his own accord. Upon coming to his senses he returns to his father’ household and confesses that he has sinned. Scripture then gives us the clear message about what has taken place. In Luke 15:22-24 it says:

“the father said to his servants, ‘Bring quickly the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet and bring the fatted calf and kill it, and let us eat and make merry; for this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found.’ And they began to make merry.”

Jesus is telling this parable about salvation. The son was a member of the household but “squandered his inheritance.” The son was “dead.” Upon returning in repentance to the household, the son is “alive again.”

This truth of wandering off in sin and then being restored is spoken of elsewhere in scripture as well. For instance in James 5:19-20 it says,

“My brethren, if any one among you wanders from the truth and someone brings him back, let him know that whoever brings back a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins.”

These two passages of scripture totally debunk OSAS yet there are many more. I have personally researched in excess of 60 passages that deny the teaching. Moreover, only a few verses of scriptures can be spun in some erroneous way to support it. Those that defend the doctrine seem to stake the teaching of OSAS on Jesus statement that “…I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish, and no one shall snatch them out of my hand.” Not surprisingly, this verse does not add up to what the proponents would like it to.

Naturally, Catholics say “Amen” to this verse but we understand it a little differently. The proponents apparently believe that this verse demonstrates that the “true believer” cannot be lost because Jesus says, “they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of my hand.” We believe that this verse has to be understood in the greater context of the gospel and that it requires a little analysis to be fully appreciated.

This verse has to be read along side John 17:7-12 which reads, “Now they know that everything that thou hast given me is from thee; for I have given them the words which thou gavest me, and they have received them and know in truth that I came from thee; and they have believed that thou didst send me. I am praying for them; I am not praying for the world but for those whom thou hast given me, for they are thine; all mine are thine, and thine are mine, and I am glorified in them. And now I am no more in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to thee. Holy Father, keep them in thy name, which thou hast given me, that they may be one, even as we are one. While I was with them, I kept them in thy name, which thou hast given me; I have guarded them, and none of them is lost but the son of perdition, that the scripture might be fulfilled. Notice the reference to Judas. Judas is in the same group given to Jesus by the Father. This is the same language used in John 10:29 where it says,” My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand.”

While no one can be snatched from the hand of Jesus or the hand of the Father, Judas was still lost. The only way that this can be properly understood is to see that while we have protection and we cannot be snatched from the Jesus’ or the Father’s hand, we are still free to choose to leave that protection. It is for this reason that when we do rebel we must also repent. Moreover, if Jesus was teaching OSAS he would not have been praying to the Father for the apostles and for us in this fashion. There would simply be no need for these prayers for they would have no impact on our salvation because our salvation would be a done deal.

I will now tackle 1 John 2:19 which says:

“They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us; but they went out, that it might be plain that they all are not of us.”

Please be advised that this verse does not support OSAS. This verse was written by John for the express purpose of warning Christian believers about false teachers that have gone out in the spirit of anti-Christ. It simply does not support OSAS. If anything it denies it. Let’s look at the verse in context.

1 John 2:18-25
“Children, it is the last hour; and as you have heard that antichrist is coming, so now many antichrists have come; therefore we know that it is the last hour. They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us; but they went out, that it might be plain that they all are not of us. But you have been anointed by the Holy One, and you all know. I write to you, not because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and know that no lie is of the truth. Who is the liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, he who denies the Father and the Son. No one who denies the Son has the Father. He who confesses the Son has the Father also. Let what you heard from the beginning abide in you. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, then you will abide in the Son and in the Father. And this is what he has promised us, eternal life.”

This passage of scripture is telling us the following:

1. The anti-Christ is coming and is already working.
  2. These anti-Christs are not to be listened to because they are false teachers.
  3. They are recognized as false teachers because they have left the Church and its teachings. They even deny that Jesus is the Christ.
  4. If they were not false teachers in the spirit of anti-Christ they would have continued in the fellowship of the church, but since they have left they are therefore easily recognized as false teachers.
  5. The believers have already been given the truth and know the truth. There is no need for them to be taught something new.
  6. No one who denies the Son has the Father. He who confesses the Son has the Father also.
  7. The word abide means “remain(s)” and John says: "Let what you heard from the beginning abide [remain] in you. If what you heard from the beginning abides [remains] in you, then you will abide in the Son and in the Father. And this is what he has promised us, eternal life.

This entire passage is a warning to believers concerning false teachers in the spirit of the anti-Christ. Moreover, the warning clearly indicates that the truth that these believers were taught from the beginning must “remain” in them for them to remain in the Father and the Son. If they remain faithful they will receive eternal life.

This passage is a denial of OSAS and in no way supports it.

Read Apocalypse chapters 2 and 3. Count the number of times Jesus says, “I know your works”. Further, let us get something very clear, faith is defined as an act of the will - it is an act of the intellect assenting to a truth which is beyond its grasp. People have this tendency to mix faith with morality. This is not true. You can declare a theological truth but live like a pagan. You can believe that Jesus is God but deny His will. Or the opposite, a pagan can be doing humanitarian work, but not believe.

The best example of how someone can have faith and not live a moral life is by using contraception.

Psalm 62:12
For you render to each one according to his works.

Jeremiah 17:10
I the Lord … give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.

Ezekiel 18:27
When the wicked man turneth away from his wickedness … and doeth that which is lawful and right, he shall save his soul.

Matthew 5:20
Except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Matthew 12:37
“For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned.".

Matthew 16:27
For the Son of Man will come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and then He will reward each according to his works.

Matthew 19:17
If you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.

Matthew 25:41-46
Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Luke 10:26-28
He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou? And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself. And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

John 5:29
And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Romans 2:6, 13
Who will render to each one according to his deeds. … For not the hearers of the law are just in the sight of God, but the doers of the law will be justified.

2 Corinthians 5:10
For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.

2 Corinthians 11:15
Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also transform themselves into ministers of righteousness, whose end will be according to their works.

Philippians 2:12
“Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.”

James 2:14
What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him?

James 2:17
Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

James 2:21-25
Was not Abraham our father justified by works? You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only. Likewise, was not Rabab the harlot also justified by works? For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

1 Peter 1:17
The Father, who without partiality judges according to each one’s work.

Revelation 2:23
I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

Revelation 20:12-13
And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

Romans 8:24
For in hope we were saved. Now hope that sees for itself is not hope. For who hopes for what one sees? (so is St. Paul saying we even need faith? [clearly, if he meant faith he would have said faith right?] OF COURSE WE DO)

Thank you Josh and Randy for your help.

Randy already posted most of my “go to” verses regarding this topic. I would like to add

1 Cor 9:26-27
Thus I do not run aimlessly; I do not fight as if I were shadowboxing. 27No, I drive my body and train it, for fear that, after having preached to others, I myself should be disqualified.

Funny that St. Paul didn’t believe his salvation was secured, even though most protestants who believe in OSAS are using his letter to the Romans to get to that misunderstanding.

Also there is

Heb 6:4-6
For it is impossible in the case of those who have once been enlightened and tasted the heavenly gift* and shared in the holy Spirit 5 and tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come,6 and then have fallen away, to bring them to repentance again, since they are recrucifying the Son of God for themselves* and holding him up to contempt

As an aside, I am utterly dumbfounded by the OSAS “loophole”. This is for people who once were vibrant active members of their evangelical church, they made their alter call and said the sinner’s prayer, they went to church all the time, etc, etc. They were “saved”. Then, they stop believing in Jesus for whatever reason. What is the OSAS believer’s response? “Oh, they were never *really *saved to start with” Seriously. How can anyone say this and then turn around and say, “but me, I’m really saved. For sure. I’m 100% sure”. Yeah, right…

I’ll throw in another verse TxGodfollower.

Sometimes Romans 8:1 is (incorrectly) used to support OSAS.

We see THIS . . . .

ROMANS 8:1 1 Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, . . .

. . . . morph into THIS . . . .

NOT ROMANS 8:1 (Phantom OSAS verse) 1 Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who were in Christ Jesus.

In the OSAS mindset.

*Philippians 3:8 Indeed I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as refuse, in order that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own, based on law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith; 10 that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11 that if possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead.

12 Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect; but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own.* **13 Brethren, I do not consider that I have made it my own; but one thing I do, forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. *15 Let those of us who are mature be thus minded; and if in anything you are otherwise minded, God will reveal that also to you. 16 Only let us hold true to what we have attained.

Romans 8:28 We know that in everything God works for good[d] with those who love him,[e] who are called according to his purpose. 29 For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the first-born among many brethren. 30 And those whom he predestined he also called; and those whom he called he also justified; and those whom he justified he also glorified.

God’s Love in Christ Jesus
31 What then shall we say to this? If God is for us, who is against us? 32 He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, will he not also give us all things with him? 33 Who shall bring any charge against God’s elect? It is God who justifies; 34 who is to condemn? Is it Christ Jesus, who died, yes, who was raised from the dead, who is at the right hand of God, who indeed intercedes for us?[f] 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? 36 As it is written,

“For thy sake we are being killed all the day long;
we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.”
37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am sure that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Some very nice answers here.

Another so-called OSAS passage (ROMANS 8:38-39):

Remember. Before the time Christ came to earth and took flesh upon Himself, humanity was at enmity with God.

ROMANS 5:10 10 For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life.

(See also Ephesians 2:1-3 and Titus 3:3-5)

Yet God so loved the world, that He sent His only begotten Son on our behalf (Cf. John 3:16).

God loves us now when we are united to Him. And God loved/loves us even when we were not united to Him.

Keeping that in mind . . .

Sometimes Romans 8:38-39 is attempted to be used to try to bamboozle people into asserting Eternal Security (OSAS).

ROMANS 8:38-39 38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers,
39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation,
**will be able to separate us from the love of God **that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

The OSAS person will take the above and conclude the following: “See. Nothing can separate you from the love of God! Therefore once saved, always saved!"

But that is the wrong deduction. (It also distorts God by assuming God doesn’t love humanity until they “accept Jesus into their heart as ‘personal Lord and Savior’”).

Nothing CAN separate us from the love of God. That is TRUE.

God doesn’t un-love sinners when they reject Him. Nor did He not love humanity when He lovingly sent His only begotten Son to live, die and Resurrect on our behalf.

So the fact that: Nothing “will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord” is irrelevant to the OSAS tradition.

The fact that nothing “will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord” does not teach OSAS.

What the OSAS adherent does in affect is change the verse in their mind

From this . . . . .

. . . . (Nothing) will be able to separate us from **the love of God **that is in Christ Jesus our Lord

to this . . . .

. . . . (Nothing) will be able to separate us from the life of God within us.

And THAT is a grotesque distortion of what the verses actually teach.

If OSAS is the message the Holy Spirit wanted us to have here, St. Paul SHOULD have written the verse this way (but He didn’t) . . . . .

NOT ROMANS 8:38-39 (Phantom Verse) For I am convinced that grievous sin with willful rejection of God, will be NOT able to separate us from the life of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

THIS phantom verse is what many of the OSAS people must substitute in their minds for the real verse.

(Or they will merely quip: “Well this guy wasn’t REALLY saved in the first place”—then their description of “security” just got re-defined by themselves).

ROMANS 5:10 10 For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, now that we are reconciled, shall we be saved by his life.

There actually is a dispute over the words of that verse. Most modern translations will say, “There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus” (ESV). This was not the case in former times. The King James Version says, “There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit,” which has a very different implication. The Douy-Rheims too, following the Vulgate says, “There is now therefore no condemnation to them that are in Christ Jesus, who walk not according to the flesh.” Whatever the original words of this verse, the longer versions are definitely the sense in which Romans 8:1 must be interpreted, which is clear from the rest of the chapter. Compare with Romans 8:4: “That the justification of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh, but according to the spirit.”

I did something like this a few years ago. Here is a link to my work:

docs.google.com/document/d/1JE20_24C0o8MlBMDyetUCyaFXn5JZDHyuBh1tvPkQfc/edit?usp=sharing

Thank you all for your input. Definitely have a decent stack of information to dig through for my project. Please feel free to add any more.

I really enjoyed your work. Very nicely written and clearly explained. :thumbsup:

Is OSAS heresy?

Would one only commit this heresy if they knew the truth?

The difficulty with OSAS is that in Matthew 7: 13, Jesus says,’ Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the road is easy that leads to destruction, and there are many who take it. For the gate that is narrow and the road is hard that leads to life, and there are few who find it.

And then we have Matthew 7: 21, Jesus says, 'Not everyone who says to me, “Lord, Lord”, will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only one who does the will of My Father in heaven. On that day many will say to Me, “Lord , Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and do many deeds of power in Your name?” Then I will declare to them, “I never knew you: go away from Me, you evildoers.”

…This suggests that many people who think they know Jesus and think they are entitled to go to heaven won’t automatically go to heaven. They may have been doing things in the name of Jesus, but that doesn’t mean they were doing His will.

Next we have John 15, which speaks of remaining in Christ and bearing fruit (and with pruning will bear more fruit)… and any branch that doesn’t bear fruit will be removed from the Vine.

In 1 John: 1, it tells us about walking in the light, in fellowship with Jesus and confessing our sins to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

In Revelations 3: 4-6, it tells us of being worthy and it also says another interesting part… about having our names blotted out of the book of life… this shows that once saved, always saved is in fact not true.

OSAS is indeed a heresy. It violates Canons 15-17 of Session 6 of the Council of Trent.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.