Help please

Hi,

I’ve recently been attending a strange new church called ‘The Church of God’.’ I couldn’t find much about it on the internet but was wondering if anyone could help me out please. I attended a bible lesson with them and some prophecies from Daniel and Revelations were brought up which they connected with the Catholic church - something about the statue of King Nebuchadnazzer’s dream and the Papacy being the great deceiver… they also pointed out that the 10 toes of the clay and iron feet were the 10 ‘kingdoms’ which arose after the fall of Rome. Any help would be awesome.

Cheers

Oh there are always strange new churches popping up here and there with a very anti-Catholic agenda to them. :slight_smile:

Dime a dozen and nothing special. Anyone can start up a church. Anyone.

But only Christ started up HIS Church. And it’s not the one you are attending.

Personally I wouldn’t bother with them. I’d spend my time reading the ECF’s.

God Bless

Well the best advice we can give is to stop attending this “strange new church”.

Of course! It is prophesied in the bible…

Matthew 24:24

False messiahs and false prophets will arise, and they will perform signs and wonders so great as to deceive, if that were possible, even the elect.

Peace be with you!!!

I recently started a thread in the non-Catholic religions forum asking for help identifying a particular denomination and this one was mentioned. I have a friend who is a member of it (or something similar) and they’re very anti-Catholic!! They accuse the Catholic Church of being pagan- for instance, celebrating Easter, Christmas, worshipping on Sunday, etc. They are incorrect, and only a small amount of research is necessary to prove them wrong. However, even when confronted with well documented facts, they are unwilling to listen. Any religion that focuses on criticizing Catholicism rather than worshipping God is toxic. I would definitely stay away from this church.

Saint Michael, the archangel, defend us in battle, be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the devil, may God rebuke him, we humbly pray. And do you, O’ Prince of the Heavenly host, by the power of God thrust into Hell Satan and all the other evil spirits who prowl about the world for the ruin of souls.

Amen.

Our Father who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name.

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

Give us this day our daily bread.

And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

:thumbsup:

The below quote is from a tract on Catholic Answers which is quite lengthy. catholic.com/documents/the-nightmare-world-of-jack-t-chick

Whore of Babylon

Chick identifies the Catholic Church as the Whore of Babylon described in Revelation. He frequently cites Revelation 18:4 as a biblical imperative to leave the Church—“Come out of her, my people, lest you take part in her sins, lest you share in her plagues.”[81] This would be a good proof text—if the Catholic Church were the Whore of Babylon. But it isn’t.

When the Whore falls we read, “Rejoice over her, O heaven, O saints and apostles and prophets, for God has given judgment for you against her! . . . And in her was found the blood of prophets and of saints, and of all who have been slain on earth” (Rev. 18:20, 24). This shows that the Whore persecuted not just Christians but apostles and prophets. Apostles existed only in the first century, since one of the requirements for being an apostle was seeing the risen Christ (1 Cor. 9:1). Prophets existed as a group only in the Old Testament and the first century (Acts 11:27—28, 13:1, 15:32, 21:10).

Since the Whore persecuted apostles and prophets, the Whore must have existed in the first century. This demolishes the claim that Christian Rome or Vatican City is the Whore. Rome was not a Christian city at that time, and Vatican City did not even exist, so neither of them could be the Whore. Furthermore, Chick (wrongly) claims that Catholicism itself did not exist in the first century but was created by the emperor Constantine.[82] This means that on his very own argument Catholicism could not be the Whore.

Who is the Whore? Most likely first-century Jerusalem, which was renowned for persecuting both apostles and prophets. The fall of the Whore is likely a depiction of the fall of Jerusalem in a.d. 70.

We also know from scripture that the antichrist will deny that Jesus has come in the flesh (1 John 4:3). The Pope as the vicar of Christ on Earth is dependent upon the fact that Jesus actually came in the flesh. If in fact the pope was the antichrist, he would actually undermine and lose any and all of his authority, which only comes from Christ in the flesh. That’s something to think about.

I would add to this and say that any group that is based on it’s opposition to other Christians should probably be avoided.

This is likely the Church of God founded by a Mr. Armstrong. It was called the World Wide church of God until the founder died and that cult splintered. They had a magazine called THE WORLD TOMMOROW that my Gran got in the snail mail.

They are sort of kosher Christians combineing elements of Judaism with elements of Christianity, thus preceding the Messianic “Jews” by decades.

As you have seen they refuse the Christian calendar, calling it ‘pagan’. They practice the Jewish holidays instead, Making a huge deal of Yom Kippur.

It’s this church: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Mission_Society_Church_of_God

It’s my girlfriend’s church so I really need some help. I know it’s a ridiculous cult but I’m not sure how to tell them that without offending anyone

One thing they believe is that human beings were once angels who rebelled in heaven and they also call God Father and Mother

Not the Armstrong World Wide Church of God for certain. Mother God … yikes!

With cultists it is sometimes difficult not to offend. Hate to tell you this, but it may be time to find another GF. :frowning:

From the Wikipedia link above:

This church believes in God the Father and God the Mother,[1] expressing their identity that they are restoring the truth of the early church.

They teach that in the last days God the Mother has to appear on earth in the flesh. The WMSCOG believes that God the Mother is the source of salvation

This completely contradicts the Bible. "He (Jesus) became the source of eternal salvation to all that obey him. (Hebrews 5:9)

The bride of Christ is the Church, not god the mother. Even in their baptism there is no mention of god the mother. There is no mention of god the mother in scripture, nor is there a god the mother in early Christian writings.

If you try to discuss this with your girlfriend, I would suggest you learn all you can about a specific aspect of their beliefs and show how it is wrong from the Bible and from the early church fathers. In my opinion the Church as the bride of Christ and that Christ is the source of salvation are the two easiest to demonstrate strictly from the Bible. If you are not comfortable with doing this, then I would second what other people have said and look for a new girlfriend. If you try to have this discussion with her, most likely she will be the one to end the relationship, so be prepared for that.

They teach that because God made Adam and Eve in His image that there must be a Father and Mother God…

Also, in the Bible - what does the east refer to? Was just watching one of their propaganda videos: m.youtube.com/watch?v=yKCKJ7pgL7g

Insanity!

:mad::mad::mad:

This theory undermines God’s capabilities!

He’s God, he can do whatever he wants! Why is it so hard to believe that he has the power to create creations out of thin air??? :confused:

Simply from Genesis it is inconclusive to say that since God made man and woman in his image that there must be a male and female God. The Hebrew “Elohiym” meaning God can be plural, but it is also masculine. God is a spirit and as such has no gender. The primary role of the sexes is for the purpose of physical reproduction. The terms Father and Son are not representing that God the father had sex and produced a son, rather it is allegorically representing a spiritual relationship between the two that we can’t fully grasp but is best explained by the terms father and son. Since Jesus became a human, he literally became a human male in time. But even before his human maleness, he was still Son in relation with the Father.

Generally speaking “from the East” in the bible is something which symbolically represents God, or good things, persons, etc. The sun rises in the east and this was seen as the “light of the world”, while the darkness and bad things are the west. Sometimes it literally means directionally east and west, but most often it seems to represent symbolically good and bad.

About the video link.
Isaiah 41:2 “man from the east” in this verse is actually referring to Abraham, who came from the east and traveled west from Ur into Haran. It is all written in the past tense describing what God did, not what God will do in the future.

Revelation 7:2-3 “Another Angel coming from the east having the seal of the lord.” An angel is not God himself, therefore this specific quote doesn’t mean what they are trying to make it say, which is that God has come again from the east.

suggested reading Mathew Chapter 24 about people falsely claiming to be Christ and that his second coming will be obvious like lightening from east to west (whole world) and with the blast of a trumpet and not just to people who have the internet to watch a youtube clip.

hope that’s helpful

The COG is a Protestant denomination in the Pentecostal vein. The have an emphasis on the Charismatic gifts, particularly glossilalia and being “slain in the spirit”. Otherwise they pretty much follow Evangelical Theology. I have in-laws who are COG. There are some pastors who are very anti-Catholic.

There are a number of wildly variant sects using the term Church Of God, such as the World Wide Church Of God, but these are not mainline Church Of God teachings. The problem, as with Protestantism in general, is that each pastor decides things based on his own personal interpretation and there is no Authority who can correct them.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.