Help Pleasr

I was wondering if someone would be wiling to be my mentor and help me on my journey of my Christian faith?

Arice,

How about having a saint as your mentor? St Francis de Sales wrote many letters to someone like you, and he complied it under the title, Introduction to the Devout Life.

Devout life does not require withdrawal from the world. This was the central insight of Saint Francis de Sales, a 16th-century priest whose Introduction to the Devout Life has not gone out of print in almost four centuries. Francis served the church at a dangerous time in a dangerous place: during the Reformation, in Calvinist areas of France, when celebrating mass was punishable by death. He was a popular minister and a prolific letter writer whose correspondence was cherished for its clear and direct instruction in the ways of piety. The book collects passages from many of those letters, organized as one message addressed to the allegorical character Philothea (which means “lover of God”). The book includes long sections about prayer, temptation, and how to maintain and renew devotion to God. But it is most distinguished by its discussion of how to live a holy life in the secular world. Each chapter (such as “How to Combine Due Care for a Good Reputation with Humility”) is frank, uncannily modern, and precise.

It is best if you can get someone who knows you and whom you know in real life for this. A lot of times you don’t need to talk only in person, but it is best, when getting an advisor of some sort to have someone you can know a fair amount about, not people on the internet whom you know nothing about.

Ask your priest if he knows someone, or if there is a convent or monastery near you, they might be able to help.

Please give us a starting point. Many of us have many ideas, so if we had a little notion of where you are now it would help us help you.

For example, do you like to read scripture? Writings of Saints? Do you have any favorite devotions? Are there specific goals you have for yourself in terms of becoming more like Jesus? For example, learning to forgive? Having His peace? All of the above? Do you look at things technically, or more “touchy-feely?” (I know that’s a vague question.)

Alan

sorry everyone i know this is very very vague i just wanan know more about the scriptures

Start by reading the Bible daily. You could do this by following the Daily Readings.

I’d also recommend getting the Ignatius Catholic Study Bible.

The only Catholic Study Bible based on the Revised Standard Version 2nd Catholic Edition, the Ignatius Catholic Study Bible New Testament brings together all of the books of the New Testament and the penetrating study tools developed by renowned Bible teachers Dr. Scott Hahn and Curtis Mitch.

This volume presents the written Word of God in a highly readable, accurate translation, excellent for personal and group study. Extensive study notes, topical essays and word studies provide fresh and faithful insights informed by time-tested, authentically Catholic interpretations from the Fathers of the Church and other scholars. Commentaries include the best insights of ancient, medieval and modern scholarship, and follow the Church s guidelines for biblical interpretation. Plus, each New Testament book is outlined and introduced with an essay covering questions of authorship, date of composition, intended audience and general themes. The Ignatius Study Bible also includes handy reference materials such as a doctrinal index, a concise concordance, a helpful cross-reference system, and various maps and charts.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.