Help recalling a Pope!

I need your help to recall a Pope I once heard and read about but I cannot remember his name or the specifics.

He was a Pope that had a chance to change doctrine and before being Pope he had written and book and wnated to change this doctrine. However, as Pope he did not make the change he was so adhement about as a Bishop.

Does anyone know who this Pope is?

I think I know the pope you’re referring to, but I’ll have to dig around to find the details (including his name). I’ll see what I can find.

I am thinking a Pope that had written a very poorly written translation of the Bible who died before he could publish it against the advice of his advisors.,

Not the Pope I am asking about…

I am not familiar with the one you mention.

Thanks!

I am keeping an eye on this because I was hoping to have his name before Theology class tonight.

That is Pope Sixtus V, 1585-1590. The pope that the OP is thinking of, if I’m right, would be over 1000 years earlier. Still can’t find him, though.

I think Tim Staples referred to this story during a Catholic Answers Live Q&A in the week.

Unfortunately, I didn’t pay attention to the name of the pope. :frowning:

Apparently, while he was a Bishop, he supported a particular heresy. A queen maneuvered to get him elected (with the old pope being poisoned in all likelihood), and the new guy was made pope as the two planned. However, after his election, he changed his mind, and never formally taught the heresy.

Something like that. :o

Here are the popes that were murdered, so this might narrow things down…just look for each of their immediate successors.

John VIII (872-882): Poisoned and clubbed to death
Adrian III, St. (884-885): Rumored poisoned
Stephen VI (896-897): Strangled
Leo V (903): Murdered
John X (914-928): Suffocated under a pillow
Stephen VII (VIII) (928-931): Possibly murdered
Stephen VIII (IX) (939-942): Mutilated and died from injuries
John XII (955-964): Suffered a stroke while with a mistress
or murdered by an outraged husband
Benedict VI (973-974): Strangled by a priest
John XIV (983-984): Starved to death or poisoned
Gregory V (996-999): Rumored poisoned, probably malaria
Sergius IV (1009-1012): Possibly murdered
Clement II (1046-1047): Rumored poisoned
Damasus II (1048): Rumored murdered
Boniface VIII (1294-1303): Died from abuse received while a
captive of the French in Anagni

Yes, something like 500 to 800 AD… I think.

OK found it - the one I was thinking of, at least. It’s Pope Vigilius, 537-555.

newadvent.org/cathen/15427b.htm

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Vigilius

Not this Pope. Sorry

The Pope I am referring to wrote a book as a bishop and had many theological meetings to promote his belief.

There was no great conflict at the time and there was not monarchical pressure for the change. It was actually a theological issue that this Bishop now become Pope had encouraged others to believe his theology.

BUT - when it came time that the Pope could cement this theology of his, it did not happen.

This was a great tool in an apologetic debate I had with someone against the Infallibility of the Pope. I just wish I could remember more…

You can recall a Pope from office?!? Sort of like a referendum to recall the mayor…?!? :smiley:

LOL!

Well actually there are those people that fall in the Anti-Pope category.

Would it be Pope Honorius ?

I read through it and this is not who i am trying to remember either.

I am sorry…

I am going to go through each and every pope I think. :frowning:

Either Vigilius (537-55) or his successor Pelagius I (555-61) :slight_smile:

As it’s not Vigilius, & as there were meetings (lots of them), it sounds as though you could be referring to the dispute “De Auxiliis” under Clement VIII (1592-1605) & his successor Paul V (1605-21). Unless the reference is to the affair of the sermon preached by John XXII in 1332.

No doubt these are no use either :smiley:

More detail would be welcome :slight_smile:

You’ve just described Vigilius, who got St.Silverius bumped off (which is why he’s a martyr) when the Empress Theodora (d.545), a Monophysite, wanted support from Rome for the Monophysite party. In the end - “end” being the word - he did not give it.

He ended up going to Constantinople, & reversing himself a couple of times during Constantinople III in 553; which made things very difficult at Rome for his successor Pelagius I.

closed #17

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.