Help reconciling this

How do you reconcile these two things:

Tradition is to be distinguished from the various theological, disciplinary, liturgical or devotional traditions, born in the local churches over time. These are the particular forms, adapted to different places and times, in which the great Tradition is expressed. In the light of Tradition, these traditions can be retained, modified or even abandoned under the guidance of the Church’s Magisterium. (CCC 83)

If anyone rejects any written or unwritten tradition of the church, let him be anathema. (Nicaea II)

The former statement distinguishes between "T"radition (Sacred/Apostolic) and "t"radition (local customs/norms).

The later statement is speaking of "T"raditions (Sacred/Apostolic).

Yes. The quote from the Catechism is explaining the difference between the two - "T"radition (unchanging) is expressed through "t"radition (can change).

I kinda wish the Church would use a different word for "t"radition (like customs or practices).

That’s what I thought but that quote from Nicaea II is in the context of sacred art, which is why I was confused.

Which context of sacred art? In other words, was it in regards to whether we should hand a picture on the west wall, versus the east? Or was it in regards to whether sacred images should be secularized and compared to those of pagan idols?

I did a quick search and someone did the homework for us in 2005 (Post #1 is the pertinent post for this topic).
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=70832

So, it is still in regards to Sacred Tradition, that which says (in paraphrase) that God is not offended by images/statues of sacred things/people and that images of sacred things are not the same as pagan idols.

To summarize, we declare that we defend free from any innovations all the—written and—unwritten ecclesiastical traditions that have been entrusted to us.” (Nicea II)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.