Help refute please

I have a friend who asked the question, “why can’t women go into in the Priesthood”

Why would God be unfair in calling only men?
Why can’t women praticipate in the sacriice of the Mass as a Priest?

If God shows equality, why would he call only men.

Please help answer thanks, sorry i had to type fast

God wills different vocations for men and women. There is more that can be said but that gives you a start --see the Catholic Answers main site for articles on the subject

also more here: forums.catholic.com/search.php?searchid=13636263

God Chose a woman as his vessel. God chose Mary, who was the only sinless vessel worthy of being the tabernacle of our Lord in all of human history.
Why would God be unfair in excluding men from birthing Him?
Why can’t men participate in the sacrifice of Childbirth?

If God show’s equality why would he choose only women to have the gift of Childbirth?

Not to mention the many many many things God chose women for that were counter cultural. The woman at the well, the elevation of Mary to co redemptrix… ETC.

How many other faiths have a woman regarded so highly? Do protestants?
The Catholic Church is THE most equal Church for genders. Period.
Ask your friend what she thinks of the woman’s sacrament of holy orders. No other faith has had more woman receive a sacrament such as holy orders. A concecration of a woman to Jesus. Ask her if she would like to become a Sister. Her answer will reveal her prejudice and anger.

I think the main misunderstanding is that folks think the priesthood is a “job” like any other. It’s not. It is a vocation. A calling. God “calls” only men to be priests. It is His prerogative, and we need not understand why God does what He does. We just have faith that He never errs, and never fails, and always knows what’s best.

It has been said that God chooses the least of us to do His best work, lest anyone think that it is through the individual’s power and not His. So, it’s not about women not being “capable” with regard to intelligence, etc. It is about God choosing, for His own reasons, to call only men. We must be humble and accept God’s will for us. He created each of us with a specific vocation to help build His kingdom. It is for Him to choose, not us. :slight_smile:

In his encycical Ordinato Sacerdotalis, Pope John Paull ll wrote

I declare that the Church has no authority whatsoever to confer priestly ordination on women and that this judgment is to be definitively held by all the Church’s faithful

vatican.va/holy_father/john_paul_ii/apost_letters/documents/hf_jp-ii_apl_22051994_ordinatio-sacerdotalis_en.html

Pope John Paul ll said women and men are equal before God

But consider that men and women are inherently different in regards to gender

Sacrament of Holy orders makes clear that a priest acts in the person of Christ - in persona Christi

The priest, as is said with good reason, is indeed “another Christ”; for, in some way, he is himself a continuation of Christ. “As the Father hath sent Me, I also send you,” is spoken to the priest, and hence the priest, like Christ, continues to give “glory to God in the highest and on earth peace to men of good will.”

vatican.va/holy_father/pius_xi/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-xi_enc_19351220_ad-catholici-sacerdotii_en.html

Jesus Christ was a man and and only men can take on that indelible character

Jesus refers to himself as a bridegroom in Matthew 9:14

Then John’s disciples came and asked him, “How is it that we and the Pharisees fast often,but your disciples do not fast?” Jesus answered, “How can the guests of the bridegroom mourn while he is with them? The time will come when the bridegroom will be taken from them; then they will fast.

Revelation 21:1-3 describes the Church as a bride

I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband.

John 3:27 prophecy, describing the Church as bride, belonging to the bridegroom who is Jesus

A person can receive only what is given them from heaven. You yourselves can testify that I said, ‘I am not the Messiah but am sent ahead of him.’ The bride belongs to the bridegroom. The friend who attends the bridegroom waits and listens for him, and is full of joy when he hears the bridegroom’s voice. That joy is mine, and it is now complete. He must become greater; I must become less.

A woman can not be a bridegroom, therefore a woman can not be a priest. This it not biogtry or an about women and men not having equality in the eyes about God, but about differing roles, that can not be separated from our human gender

This might be helpful.

It was discussed recently on the Radio Show.

catholic.com/radio/shows/why-women-cant-be-priests-8098

With God (unlike with secular society), men and women can have equal dignity without being the same.

That is, it is not necessary for women and men to be the same in order to be equal. As another poster has pointed out, God has clearly ordained that only women can be mothers. People usually don’t get mad at God for that. The reason people do get mad at God’s restricting the priesthood to women is because they don’t believe it comes from God, really. But the fact that one is a physical restriction of men, and the other is a spiritual restriction of women, doesn’t make the two restrictions essentially different.

As a Catholic, I believe the dogmas of the Church came from God just as much as I believe the creation of women with wombs and men without them came from God.

If the Church’s teachings are true and come from God, then I must accept them if I love God. If the Church’s teaching are false and do not come from God, what do I care what they are? How would I know anything about God’s revelation of Himself to us if I could not believe the Church? Even the Protestants only have the teachings second-hand as it were.

I do not understand people who believe the Church when she says what a priest is and what he should do, but do not believe the Church when she says who can be a priest. What is the basis of believing one of the teachings and not the other?

–Jen

And God created man. Then God Made Woman. God does not change. I agree with the previous post about vocations and how God calls people. God called Men because they were the stronger of the Gender. The Devil went to to the woman first because she is the weaker of the two. Mens vocations are different from womens. To many people try to modernize what God has set before us. God does NOT change or bow down to us. We worship him not the other way around! This generation is caught up to much with the change of the modern world and should it change then we condem ourselves when it comes to rewriting God’s rules. God knows what is best and we should trust him and not question his Divine Authority. Oh how we offend him when we do not trust him. But he is a very Good Father and Merciful. But his patience is just about up with us, his children. Men are the head and women are the heart. Men are the leaders women are meant to be nourtures. Men cannot be both and women cannot be both for this is not how God intended it to be. And the head cannot work without the heart and the heart cannot work without the head.

IMO At the time the Catholic Church was created (by men), women had much less equality than they do today. If the Catholic church was starting afresh from today. It is hard to imagine women NOT having equality in the various roles.

I think the best answer is simplest:

We can talk equality of standing before God, and we can talk about equivalence of the individual, but these aren’t the same. You have equal rights as I under law but our incomes are not identical. Is that unfair or unrelated?

The problem to the question in the first place is that the one who asked you is imposing his or her understanding of what’s fair.

No, go back and read the New Testament. The Catholic Church was created by Jesus himself–“On this Rock I will build my Church.” Also check your history. Priestesses were quite common back then. It would have been especially appealing to the Gentiles.

Not sure of your point - Are you saying women had more equality then than today. I accept that Jesus started a church.

I accept your point on priestesses, I am not a historian. I was just suggesting that women have more equality today that in the past.

Was God unfair to men by making them unable to become pregnant?

Where? In the middle east? Are women equal there? Beaten and forced to wear a burqua, treated worse than “infidels” How about in China where women are killed before they exit the womb? How about in some areas of latin america and africa where women are used at a young age for sex slavery? Or in the united states where women are made to be sexual murderers by the slavery of modern ideals and morals?
It seems to me that within the Catholic Church is the only place where women have equality. They are equal in sin and redemption before God.

If people are still reading this, I have another question.

What Scripture or logical argument shows that men and women are different spiritually and fit a different role? I think if i can win that point, i can put everything else into place.

Also please pray for this venture. Thank you

Off the top of my head…

Man was created from dust…woman from flesh.
Man was initially alone; woman led to companion, union, social situation.
Man was created with a need; woman filled the need.
Man was created for work; woman to help the man with his work.
Man gave woman her name; she received her name.
Man gave the seed; woman brought new life.

But Catholics aren’t sola scriptura…all our knowledge of God and his plan for us doesn’t come from Scripture.

Not only that but the biblical principles of liturgy. From the Jewish act of worship and the office of Rabbi being a male office to Paul and the apostles setting up the early Church and the many notorious verses that deal with women in Church and headcoverings and prophesy etc etc. And the biblical roots of the eucharist and why" in persona christi" must be a man.
Actually the Church herself is much more feminine than a reading of scripture using protestant “sola scriptura” would ever be.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.