HELP:response to this protestant gentleman named Brian

I was asked for verses etc. that prove the virginity of mary after Jesus’ birth and for the immaculate conception. here is what he wrote back after I gave him Luthers words and some scriptures.
Please help me respond to this in a loving way.

"This is all very interesting but I believe there is possible error by all (including Luther) except the true word. I want to know truth so I searched the word myself and found Mary mentioned very little relative to others. Jesus at one time even seemed to disrespect here when someone mentioned Mary as his mother and he refuted it to a degree.

Luke 11: 27-28 (As Jesus was saying these things a woman in the crowd called out,“Blessed in the mother who gave you birth and nursed you”. He replied,“Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it”.

Romans 3:9-13 (There is no one righteous, not even one; All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good.)

In reading this I feel I cannot believe anything other than what it states.
Please show me scripture that supports Mary being perfect. I put little stock in the writings by any great man because all have sinned.

I know she was favored but many were favored by the Father. I also believe she was a virgin but wonder about after the birth of Jesus. It would be hard to stay married with a husband and stay celibate. Even though Luther said some wonderful things about Mary doesn’t replace the confidence I get from hearing the word. I need to see proof in the word. I want the Word to tell me that she is without sin and that there were two people that walked the earth without sin.

I’m not necessarily disagreeing with you I’m just hungry for the truth."

"This is all very interesting but I believe there is possible error by all (including Luther) except the true word. I want to know truth so I searched the word myself and found Mary mentioned very little relative to others. Jesus at one time even seemed to disrespect here when someone mentioned Mary as his mother and he refuted it to a degree.

If Jesus disrespected his mother, I guess he wasn’t very good at obeying the commandment to honor his father and his mother.

Luke 11: 27-28 (As Jesus was saying these things a woman in the crowd called out,“Blessed in the mother who gave you birth and nursed you”. He replied,“Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it”.

Which is why Mary is blessed–because she heard the word of God and obeyed it.

Romans 3:9-13 (There is no one righteous, not even one; All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good.)

Does that include Jesus?

In reading this I feel I cannot believe anything other than what it states.
Please show me scripture that supports Mary being perfect. I put little stock in the writings by any great man because all have sinned.

I know she was favored but many were favored by the Father. I also believe she was a virgin but wonder about after the birth of Jesus. It would be hard to stay married with a husband and stay celibate. Even though Luther said some wonderful things about Mary doesn’t replace the confidence I get from hearing the word. I need to see proof in the word. I want the Word to tell me that she is without sin and that there were two people that walked the earth without sin.

I’m not necessarily disagreeing with you I’m just hungry for the truth."

Ask him to prove to you, from scripture alone, that the word of God is restricted solely to scripture. Tell him you “need to see proof in the word.”

Thank you, kay cee, I have utilized this and forwarded it after adjusting the responses to fit my person.

thank you!

You’re more than welcome. I’m sure others here will have even better responses.

Ask him who heard and obeyed the word of God better than Mary. He will not be able to come up with anyone.

[quote=] Romans 3:9-13 (There is no one righteous, not even one; All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good.)
[/quote]

What the bracketed part actually says is:
10* as it is written: “None is righteous, no, not one; 11 no one understands, no one seeks for God. 12 All have turned aside, together they have gone wrong; no one does good, not even one.” 13* “Their throat is an open grave, they use their tongues to deceive.” “The venom of asps is under their lips.” 14* “Their mouth is full of curses and bitterness.” 15* “Their feet are swift to shed blood, 16 in their paths are ruin and misery, 17 and the way of peace they do not know.” 18* “There is no fear of God before their eyes.”

The as it is written part is where Paul is referencing Psalm 14:
1* * The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.” They are corrupt, they do abominable deeds, there is none that does good. 2 The LORD looks down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there are any that act wisely, that seek after God. 3 They have all gone astray, they are all alike corrupt; there is none that does good, no, not one.

[quote=]I know she was favored but many were favored by the Father. I also believe she was a virgin but wonder about after the birth of Jesus. It would be hard to stay married with a husband and stay celibate. Even though Luther said some wonderful things about Mary doesn’t replace the confidence I get from hearing the word. I need to see proof in the word. I want the Word to tell me that she is without sin and that there were two people that walked the earth without sin.
[/quote]

If all he trusts is the Word, you might ask him to show you where it says anywhere in the Bible that Mary did sin or that she did have intercourse. He can’t cause it doesn’t.

I think these responses are just what you are looking for!

scripturecatholic.com/mary_qa.html#scripture-I

scripturecatholic.com/mary_qa.html#allhavesinned

Peace,

Ryan :slight_smile:

I don’t know if these links will help or not, but they did help me. :slight_smile:

catholic.com/library/Brethren_of_the_Lord.asp
catholic.com/library/Mary_Ever_Virgin.asp
Google it and you’ll find a lot of sites that will give you more info, along with Bible backup.

More than two, according to Scripture. Zechariah and Elizabeth (parents of John the Baptist) were without personal sin, although they had original sin. “And they both were righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blamelessly,” Luke 1:6.

If Zecharaiah and Elizabeth could be without personal sin, why couldn’t Mary?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.