Help - Sacrament of Reconciliation

Hello, friends . my name is Stan McElya. I am dire need of an answer to a question. Todday I am going to confession for the first time in over 30 years. what do I do , and what do I say???

Hi Stan, and welcome! :slight_smile:

You say “Bless me Father for I have sinned. It’s been over 30 years since my last confession.” And then you tell him your sins–all those you can remember, that is. He may take you through the 10 Commandments to help you jog your memory, which I think would be helpful to you so you make a good confession (you can ask to do this).

God bless you for wanting to come back to the sacrament. Remember it’s a great privilege to have this means of obtaining God’s grace and forgiveness (of all sins, of course, but most importantly of our mortal sins). When you do your penance, please pray for me.

If it’s not too late, I’d suggest setting up an appointment and confessing face to face. That way you have as much time as you need and by going face to face, it will seem a little more “conversational” so you won’t be as nervous.

[quote=Jabronie]If it’s not too late, I’d suggest setting up an appointment and confessing face to face. That way you have as much time as you need and by going face to face, it will seem a little more “conversational” so you won’t be as nervous.
[/quote]

Good advise. If you have thirty years to unburden don’t think you can walk into the normal confession line and do it. Unless you have been in a coma.

If you don’t know what to do next, tell him. When he says to make an act of contrition, ask if you can repeat it after him because you don’t remember the words.

It will be okay!!! This is such a joyful day for you!!! Congratulations! Be thrilled you are coming home to the Church. :slight_smile:

[quote=Jabronie]If it’s not too late, I’d suggest setting up an appointment and confessing face to face. That way you have as much time as you need and by going face to face, it will seem a little more “conversational” so you won’t be as nervous.
[/quote]

I’m not sure that’s such a great idea. When I went to confession after 20 years, I was grateful for the anonymity. If you tell the priest that you haven’t been for such a long time, I can guarantee he will gently guide you through. That’s what happened with me.

Let us know how you feel afterward. It’s amazing how light you will feel. God bless you! :thumbsup:

You may either go face to face, or kneel behind a screen and be anonymous, whatever feels more comfortable for you.

Bless me father, for I have sinned, it has been 30 years since my last confession. My sins are:
tell your mortal sins and the number of times (or the length of time you have persisted in a sinful habit). just the facts, spare the detail and the background info, if he needs any further information he will ask for it
the priest will probably counsel you, give you absolution, and ask you to say an act of contrition.
You may simply say I am deeply sorry for all my sins because they offend the just and loving God, and I resolve to sin no more and to change may way of living.
then he will give you a penance, bless you, and send you on your way.
whoa, what a sacrament,
welcome home and be prepared for some dynamic action by the HOly Spirit when the grace of this sacrament hits you.

Stan, I am praying that it was a wonderful experience for you and you felt the Grace of God!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.