HELP: Traditional Parish in Los Angeles?

I will be moving to LA area and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. I'm looking for a parish that is traditional in the north end of the city. Latin mass would be a plus but is not necessary...I'm just looking for a place that sings the traditional hymns, has (and uses) an organ, and isn't overly charismatic or modernized. Last week I visited a parish that had us stand up so people could clap to welcome us to their church, allows the laity in the pews to shout out prayer intentions during prayers of the faithful, has a piano practically inside the sanctuary (where I come from, music is in the back), and projects the lyrics of the songs onto big screens for everyone to follow along (which I couldn't, the melodies were ridiculous). They also took the missals out of the pews so I had no way to follow along during the readings. I understand this kind of stuff is what some people like and I feel horrible admitting this but I absolutely hated it, it didn't even feel like mass at all! I'm looking for something more solemn and conservative. I'd be thankful for any suggestions :)

Los Angeles is HUGE, both people wise and area wise.

What do you mean by "north end"? Have you checked the Archdiocesan website for a list of parishes near where you will be moving?

I can't give specific recommendations, but if I'm going to be visiting an area, I spend some time looking at the websites of local churches to help me determine where to attend Mass. Often, you can get a feel for a parish by the language they use in describing the liturgy or their descriptions of their religious education programs, etc. It is also helpful to look at the links provided by the parish.

(Directory 1)

Alhambra {Suburb 11 Miles NE of Los Angeles}
St. Therese of Lisieux Parish
510 N. El Molino St
High Mas, Sun: 1:00 PM
(626) 282-2744

Inglewood {Suburb South of Los Angeles}
St. John Chrysostom Parish (website)
546 East Florence Ave
First Saturdays 9:15 AM
(310) 677-2736

...]

(Directory 2)

LOS ANGELES Archdiocese Alhambra St. Therese Church W Sunday: 1:00 PM

Camarillo   St. Mary Magdalen Chapel    W   Sunday: 10:00 AM

Guadalupe   Our Lady of Guadalupe       Discontinued 2012 - priest transferred

Inglewood   St. John Chrystostom Catholic Church        1st Sat: 9:15 AM

Rancho Dominguez    Dominguez Sem. Retirement Home      1st Sunday: 10:00 AM
  replaces Little Sisters of the Poor chapel

Reseda  St Catherine Siena Church       2nd Saturday: 7:00 PM

Santa Paula     Thomas Aquinas College  W D     Sunday: 7:15 AM
  M - F: 7:00 AM; Sat: 7:15 AM

Ventura     Mission San Buenaventura        Mass discontinued; moved to Camarillo

Wilmington  Sts. Peter and Paul     W   Sunday: 6:30 AM
  and High Mass, 9:30 AM, 3rd Sun 

(Directory 3)

St. John Vianney Chapel
229 S. Detroit Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90036
4th/5th SU 9 am
(626) 359-3243

(archived page)

(blog)

Hope some of the above helps :shrug:

[quote="embear, post:1, topic:323903"]
I will be moving to LA area and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. I'm looking for a parish that is traditional in the north end of the city. Latin mass would be a plus but is not necessary...I'm just looking for a place that sings the traditional hymns, has (and uses) an organ, and isn't overly charismatic or modernized. Last week I visited a parish that had us stand up so people could clap to welcome us to their church, allows the laity in the pews to shout out prayer intentions during prayers of the faithful, has a piano practically inside the sanctuary (where I come from, music is in the back), and projects the lyrics of the songs onto big screens for everyone to follow along (which I couldn't, the melodies were ridiculous). They also took the missals out of the pews so I had no way to follow along during the readings. I understand this kind of stuff is what some people like and I feel horrible admitting this but I absolutely hated it, it didn't even feel like mass at all! I'm looking for something more solemn and conservative. I'd be thankful for any suggestions :)

[/quote]

Visit the website or simply call the Archdiocese of Los Angeles.

[quote="SMHW, post:2, topic:323903"]
Los Angeles is HUGE, both people wise and area wise.

What do you mean by "north end"? Have you checked the Archdiocesan website for a list of parishes near where you will be moving?

[/quote]

By north end I mean somewhere around the Glendale/Burbank/NoHo/Van Nuys area. I'd be willing to go a bit out of my way though. I have done some preliminary research, but there is a lot out there and some churches don't have websites. I was just hoping some follow CAFers could give me the inside scoop on any parishes in the area they're familiar with

[quote="embear, post:6, topic:323903"]
By north end I mean somewhere around the Glendale/Burbank/NoHo/Van Nuys area. I'd be willing to go a bit out of my way though. I have done some preliminary research, but there is a lot out there and some churches don't have websites. I was just hoping some follow CAFers could give me the inside scoop on any parishes in the area they're familiar with

[/quote]

No Latin Mass but consider checking out St. Charles Borromeo in North Hollywood.

[quote="SMHW, post:7, topic:323903"]
No Latin Mass but consider checking out St. Charles Borromeo in North Hollywood.

[/quote]

No Latin mass is fine, I do like the OF too. Thank you for the suggestion, I will definitely visit this parish! :D

It isn't Latin-rite traditional, but the Proto-Cathedral of St. Mary Byzantine Catholic church is located in Sherman Oaks.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.