Help with a delimma

Dear Folks:

I know of a situation that I am not sure how to handle.

I was married in a non-catholic church ceremony to my first husband (he was not catholic). We were divorced and my second marriage was a civil ceremony in my backyard. My second husband is catholic and after years of mental abuse, he finally left and we are still going through a divorce. The whole time that we were together he never attended church - nor did he wish to have our two children baptized. (My sister had them both baptized in secret.) My son is 15 years old, is autistic and mentally/physically disabled. My daughter is 12, and thankfully, has no disabilities.

I have sole custody of my children and I was given permission by the Court to move with my 2 children to another state and the Court stated in the order that it was in their best interest. My daughter refuses to speak to her father due to his anger but my son still communicates with his father - mainly through text messaging on the cell phone.

My husband started attending church about a year ago, in less than a six month period he has been able to reach the Third Degree of the Knights of Columbus. There are several women from that parish that he is interested in and all he seems to do is to text my son to tell him about how big their breasts are. He speaks inappropriately to him, using foul language and telling my son how he’s going to make his move on these women. Today he told my son he was rebaptised.

My uncle and my cousin both are Knights of Columbus and have been for many, many years and both are devote catholics and they both tell me that what he is doing is wrong. There is no way that he should ever have been made a Knight since we were not married in the church, did not raise the children in the church and a long list of other things that I cannot go into.

My dilemma is should I contact the church and/or the Knights to report this to them. To me what he is doing is a slap in the face of the Catholic Church and it’s teaching. I truly hope that he is trying to turn his life around, but it gets me so upset to think he’s obtaining something that he is not entitled to based upon deceit and lies.

He has claimed that he took a class and is now able to work with CCD children and has gone to the hospital to help with anointing.

Any advice you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Welcome to CAF! I’m sorry that you’ve had so much trouble.

I’m no expert in this area, but I suspect that contacting the Parish Priest would be a good place to start. Thank you for wanting to speak up and protect others!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.