Help With A Question?

Dear brothers and sisters in Christ I need help with answering a question. Please explain what you would say to a nonbeliever why they should become a christian? Thanks in advance for your input. God Bless

[quote=SPOKENWORD]Dear brothers and sisters in Christ I need help with answering a question. Please explain what you would say to a nonbeliever why they should become a christian? Thanks in advance for your input. God Bless
[/quote]

If you believe and there is no God,
when you die, you’ve lost nothing.

If you don’t believe and there is a God,
when you die, you’ve lost everything.

If you believe and there is a God,
when you die, you’ve gained everything.

:slight_smile:

Hello spoken:) Come home:crying: Okay, what you do is first pray for the person and then pray that the Holy Spirit gives you what to say to the person that will touch in that person exactly what needs to be touched.Don’t beat them over the head with it,or they will avoid you.Be available to talk to the person and pray, pray and then pray some more.God Bless

[quote=Lisa4Catholics]Hello spoken:) Come home:crying: Okay, what you do is first pray for the person and then pray that the Holy Spirit gives you what to say to the person that will touch in that person exactly what needs to be touched.Don’t beat them over the head with it,or they will avoid you.Be available to talk to the person and pray, pray and then pray some more.God Bless
[/quote]

Hi Lisa,Can you give me an example of what you would say after you pray?God Bless

[quote=Mickey]If you believe and there is no God,

[/quote]

If you believe and there is a different God than you expected,

[quote=AnAtheist]If you believe and there is a different God than you expected,
[/quote]

Hi An Atheist:) I haven’t forgotten about you;) How are you doing?PM me so I don’t hijack th thread.God Bless

[quote=AnAtheist]If you believe and there is a different God than you expected,
[/quote]

That’s simply false. Sounds like an excuse to not explore a relationship with God.

[quote=SPOKENWORD]Hi Lisa,Can you give me an example of what you would say after you pray?God Bless
[/quote]

Well ask the Holy Spirit for guidance,alot depends on the persons openess to hearing what you have to say.For instance Brother Leo a comrad of St. Francis asked St.Francis if they were going to preach in a certain town and he said yes.Well, they got there and went through the town,walked around and St.Francis didn’t say anything to them and left,a bit frazzled Brother Leo said I thought you were going to preach there,St.Francis responded only when necessary use words:) Alot will depend on the person.God Bless

“There is a peace that comes from knowing God, and knowing God loves us and is watching over us. It is a peace that is difficult to describe and comes from no other means than knowing and loving God. Peace in times of sorrow, Peace in times of stress, Peace in times of fear, Peace that compounds natural joy, Peace that helps us love.”

Just make sure you are living in such a way that he/she will see that peace in your life.

On CA radio the other night someone said, the best way to evangelize is to think of it as two beggers, and one begger is telling the other where to find bread…or something like that.

Anyway the point is, it’s about the focus being on the benefit of the other person rather than merely explaining how the other person should think, behave, believe. We share for the benefit of the other person.

[quote=SPOKENWORD]Dear brothers and sisters in Christ I need help with answering a question. Please explain what you would say to a nonbeliever why they should become a christian? Thanks in advance for your input. God Bless
[/quote]

I would ask them if they feel as if something’s missing in their life. If they answer no, then I would drop the subject. If they answer yes then I would tell them to think about the possibility of exploring a relationship with God. If they already believe in God I would ask them to consider the historical truth of Christianity and the resurrection.

[quote=Chris W]“There is a peace that comes from knowing God, and knowing God loves us and is watching over us. It is a peace that is difficult to describe and comes from no other means than knowing and loving God. Peace in times of sorrow, Peace in times of stress, Peace in times of fear, Peace that compounds natural joy, Peace that helps us love.”

Just make sure you are living in such a way that he/she will see that peace in your life.

On CA radio the other night someone said, the best way to evangelize is to think of it as two beggers, and one begger is telling the other where to find bread…or something like that.

Anyway the point is, it’s about the focus being on the benefit of the other person rather than merely explaining how the other person should think, behave, believe. We share for the benefit of the other person.
[/quote]

Very well put. I like that

[/quote]

Pascal’s Wager?

[/quote]

Hi Mickey, I have that tract in my wallet. :thumbsup: God Bless

Most of you do not have jetties ( made of blocks of granite) extending 400 yards or so out into the Gulf of Mexico on into an Ocean handy do you?

I would ask the atheist to walk out before sundown and return after sunup , all the way to the end of the jeties. The waves pound on the rocks and spray wets your hair. It gets very lonesome out there. You cant hear any man-made sounds. You are isolated.

After a few hours you start to get the idea that something very powerful is moving that water. The stars are bright. You feel like there has to be a God by sunup.

One other thought on your question: Be patient and wait for the opportunity God will provide. Example:

A guy at work is agnostic (for now :slight_smile: ). I wanted to talk to him for like 3 years, but it was clear he didn’t even want to think about God.

Then he had a scare with cancer. I told him “I do not know how you can deal with this, without trusting in your loving God”. He said nothing.

A few days later, he was full of anxiety and I said, “Do you ever pray?” He said no. I said, “I was going to tell you I will pray for you in hopes it would be of comfort”. He said nothing.

The next day he came to work and said “This may seem hypocritical of me, but will you pray for me?”.

Just remember God will give us opportunities to potentially influence people, but it is in His timing not ours.

Peace,
Chris W

or you can say “Good News, we’re not alone!”:slight_smile:

[quote=Chris W]One other thought on your question: Be patient and wait for the opportunity God will provide. Example:

A guy at work is agnostic (for now :slight_smile: ). I wanted to talk to him for like 3 years, but it was clear he didn’t even want to think about God.

Then he had a scare with cancer. I told him “I do not know how you can deal with this, without trusting in your loving God”. He said nothing.

A few days later, he was full of anxiety and I said, “Do you ever pray?” He said no. I said, “I was going to tell you I will pray for you in hopes it would be of comfort”. He said nothing.

The next day he came to work and said “This may seem hypocritical of me, but will you pray for me?”.

Just remember God will give us opportunities to potentially influence people, but it is in His timing not ours.

Peace,
Chris W
[/quote]

Hi Chris,How would you feel if this fellow passed away this night knowing that you have missed oppurtunities to share the Good News with him? Would his blood be on your hands? Something to think about? Personally I believed you already have missed some oppurtunities:( God Bless

Hi SPOKENWORD,

Could you give us some more clues as to where this nonbeliever is at?

Lost&Found

Hi Chris,How would you feel if this fellow passed away this night knowing that you have missed oppurtunities to share the Good News with him? Would his blood be on your hands? Something to think about? Personally I believed you already have missed some oppurtunities:( God Bless

Forgive me for butting in spoken, but it sounds like Chris has already worked on this guy. Just because he didn’t say “HELLO BROTHER HAVE YOU ACCEPTED JESUS CHRIST AS YOUR LORD AND SAVIOR???” doesn’t mean that he hasn’t shared. He has shared slowly and gently and it seems to have had some effect because they guy asked to be prayed for.

Where you comin from? :tsktsk:

[quote=Lisa4Catholics]Hello spoken:) Come home:crying: Okay, what you do is first pray for the person and then pray that the Holy Spirit gives you what to say to the person that will touch in that person exactly what needs to be touched.Don’t beat them over the head with it,or they will avoid you.Be available to talk to the person and pray, pray and then pray some more.God Bless
[/quote]

I agree with Lisa here, I have found that if it is the Will of God the Holy Spirit will guide and make it possible. If you find that, even after prayer and asking the Holy Spirit to guide you and that you want HIS will to be done, then all things will be possible. Start by planting the seed. I assume this person has already spoken with you so the seed is probably already planted. If after prayer, it seems to be impossible, this person isn’t ready. God has a plan. Try not to beat yourself up over it if the person seems unreceptive, accept them in love and pray for them. It may be tomorrow that they are ready, it may be 5 years from now, it may be on their death bed. You might be the one to help this person or it might take 40 Christians over his/her lifetime to result in a conversion.

As far as having something planned out, that might be a good idea, but it might also cause you to rely on your own “debate” rather than letting the Holy Spirit guide you into this individual’s heart and well-being at the level they are at, and prevent organic conversation. You know Scipture well enough to debate, but if you have a set “argment” all lined up, it just might turn the individual “off” Sometimes we, as Christians, can be really revved up to help someone, but it might be in God’s plan that we only have a small (yet important) role.

The most important thing is that you show this person an example of God’s love, an example of Christ. Show them a good reason to become Christian by being someone they like, in a life they would desire for themselves. I have highschool friends who experimented with drugs, alcohol, promiscuity, one of which was an atheist. They were in my close circle of friends but I was a strong Cathoic girl and they accepted me because we had been friends for so long. (I just didn’t go to parties with them) 11 years after graduation, 3 of them became Catholic. I had personally become so frustrated, hoping they would give up all those destructive habits. God had not…All in God’s time.

For most Catholics there is no set “argument” or plan, we just live our lives helping all those along the way find Christ…I hope this is helpful and encouraging, Sorry I probably don’t have the “plan” you are looking for, because it’s not my style. I promise this has worked in my life.
Peace Be With You.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.