Help with a strange question

Before I start, I would like to say thank you to everyone for allowing me to post here. I really do hope there is someone here who can help me with this question, as I have been searching everywhere for days now.
A little background information is probably needed first. I am the kind of person who has a very strong curiosity. Which my girlfriend likes to use against me for fun. She’ll bring something up, and not tell me what it is, so I search everywhere until I find what she was talking about. It’s kind of a game for us, but this one has me stumped.

She mentioned something that:

Nothing physical, or a condition. Not harmful for the one who has it, or anyone else. Can be stressful, and harmful at times. There are very few in the world who have it, and very few of them live past childhood. Its nothing horrible, but is unusual. Those who have it, fear not being accepted by others, or other people not understanding. It can make having relationships nearly impossible. There is no explanation for it, and that why someone without faith would not understand. There is more information on it in the bible, than anywhere else.

I’m completely stumped here… It’s been 2 days now, and it’s interfering with my sleep now. I went to the catholic church across the street from my house, and no one there could figure it out. Some of them are even now looking themselves, having peaked their curiosity as well. I am hoping someone here may be able to have to answer to this riddle.

Hmm, except for this qualification

I would guess leprosy. Are you sure she said the above? Children contract it more easily than adults, but it doesn’t shorten the life span. Anyway, that’s my best guess.

I’ve need some clarification here. If it’s not horrible, and not physical, why do so few live past childhood? Is she saying they die, or somehow grow out of this thing, or perhaps remain childlike as adults? I think I could guess it if I had a little more clarity about this.

If your girlfriend is atheist, she might mean religious belief, in the sense that she thinks believers are children

If not I wonder if the answer could possibly be holiness/sanctity? In the sense of being a spiritual child. I don’t know how the not being accepted by others would fit in with that, but without knowing your girlfriends views on religion, it is hard to tell what she thinks would be involved. And when you finally guess right or she tells you the right answer you MUST come back here and tell us, this is going to drive me round the bend!

I see you’re from Perth. I’m from Montrose.

The ability to see angels? I’m thinking that it’s the ability rather than the person who doesn’t usually live beyond childhood.

I agree that it would be nice to know your girlfriend’s religious belief/affiliation (if any).

As to the answer to the question - I agree that the answer must be faith, although I think some of the clues are pretty poor if we are right…

Nothing physical, or a condition. = The condition must be something mental or “belief”

Not harmful for the one who has it, or anyone else. = Faith fits this well

Can be stressful, and harmful at times. = This is contrary to what is just said above. How can something be not harmful AND harmful at times?
Faith can be stressful at times, or more accurately stress can occur as one journeys into faith.

There are very few in the world who have it, and very few of them live past childhood. = Well Jesus says that we must believe and accept Him as “little children” and “become like children” in our faith.

Its nothing horrible, but is unusual. = Again Jesus says that many will seek and few will find and the door to perdition is wide while the door to salvation is narrow…

Those who have it, fear not being accepted by others, or other people not understanding. = While some who believe they have faith might have such fears, those who truly do have faith would not.

It can make having relationships nearly impossible. = Faith can “limit” ones relationships but I hardly think that it makes them nearly impossible.

There is no explanation for it, and that why someone without faith would not understand. = The old adage, “For those with faith, no explanation is necessary and for those without faith, no explanation is possible”, seems to fit this very nicely -
But is it OK to use the answer in the clues of a riddle?

There is more information on it in the bible, than anywhere else. = Belief? Faith? Hope and Love? Holiness? Grace?

Though I have reservations about the quality of the clues…I’m going with faith as the answer

Peace
James

Hello Thistle

Would you like some lovely Scottish weather? :smiley:

Thank you to all who replied.
I wish I had more, but that was all the info Im given. Not willing to give me more.
No, she’s not an atheist. She’s Catholic.
Angels was a GREAT guess, and I thought it was that as well. Unfortunately, no.
It isn’t faith, as I already know of her faith.

The only one other clue, was that there is one specific location in the bible where it is talked about. Unfortunately, I’m not allowed to know where. I have looked… But no luck so far.

What about hearing God’s voice? It happened to Samuel when he was a boy 1 Samuel, chapter 3

Ability to talk to God? When is your girlfriend going to give you the answer?

hmm… I’d like to know also lol… have you asked her if it’s in the New or the Old Testament?

My blood has thinned out. Probably too cold for me there!

I give up…To me the clues seem contradictory in places…

Hope she gives the answer soon.

Peace
James

Hope you remember to come back and let us know what the answer is :wink:

If it isn’t faith, I’m guessing that it might be innocence.
*Nothing physical, or a condition. (check-we’re all born with it)
*Not harmful for the one who has it, or anyone else. (check)
*Can be stressful, and harmful at times. (check- but only when trying to preserve it)
*There are very few in the world who have it, and very few of them live past childhood. (check-maturity usually makes us lose at least some of it)
*Its nothing horrible, but is unusual. (check)
*Those who have it, fear not being accepted by others, or other people not understanding. (check-people who have lost their innocence can be hard to deal with)
*It can make having relationships nearly impossible. (check-it’s hard to convince others that you are trying to preserve it)
*There is no explanation for it, and that why someone without faith would not understand. (check-it’s a spiritual state)
*There is more information on it in the bible, than anywhere else. (check!)

JMHO :wink:

Yes but all children are innocent. This says they won’t live past childhood. I don’t think it is innocence or faith.

That was the one thing that I hesitated on, because of the way it’s worded. But, if you consider it from the viewpoint of innocence being ‘that which is alive’, then it would mean that our innocence is what ‘dies’ and not the person that loses it.

It was the only thing that I could think of that came close, especially if it wasn’t faith.

I read it as being a very unusual talent or power that occurs very rarely in children, and even more rarely in adults.

Hey Alex,
Did you ever find out the answer to the riddle??

Peace
James

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.