Help with a vocation

Hi,
Before I go in to detail about my problem I would like to share my past experience with the church.Growing up in Ireland everyone is sort of shoved into the catholic faith without really being educated about it,I made my communion and confirmation and never really paid any attention to it.I only discovered my faith when I was about 13 and learned to appreciate the church,I always felt a calling from then on to join the church because I loved the idea of spreading the gospel and helping people in their lives.

I told my mam a couple of months ago about how i felt a vocation and my mother responded by telling me not to tell anyone else i wanted to become a priest (presumably because she would be ashamed if I became one,as in Ireland priests nowadays are mostly associated with paedophiles and those who wish to become priests are viewed upon as being paedophiles),my grandmother seems to be only catholic in my family,having been raised in the faith,she was happy at the idea of me becoming a priest.

The question I am trying to ask is what could I do to make my mam happy at the notion of me joining the priesthood

[quote="Jasmith90, post:1, topic:330120"]
Hi,
Before I go in to detail about my problem I would like to share my past experience with the church.Growing up in Ireland everyone is sort of shoved into the catholic faith without really being educated about it,I made my communion and confirmation and never really paid any attention to it.I only discovered my faith when I was about 13 and learned to appreciate the church,I always felt a calling from then on to join the church because I loved the idea of spreading the gospel and helping people in their lives.

I told my mam a couple of months ago about how i felt a vocation and my mother responded by telling me not to tell anyone else i wanted to become a priest (presumably because she would be ashamed if I became one,as in Ireland priests nowadays are mostly associated with paedophiles and those who wish to become priests are viewed upon as being paedophiles),my grandmother seems to be only catholic in my family,having been raised in the faith,she was happy at the idea of me becoming a priest.

The question I am trying to ask is what could I do to make my mam happy at the notion of me joining the priesthood

[/quote]

First I think that's sad that your mother feels that way. But she may have just spoken without little thought.

I'm guessing that if you went into the Seminary, she would burst with pride and tell everyone that her son is a priest.

Priests are not apples. A few bad ones don't spoil the whole bunch. My guess is that people that hate the church because of a few bad priests would have found other reasons to hate the church.

Peace,
John

I think the best thing you can do is pray. Also realize that, unfortunately, following God will get you in some tough spots. Not everyone will support you; hopefully your mother will, with time. Pray for her. Bless her room, clothes etc. with holy water when she isn't looking, and perhaps have a green scapular blessed and hide it in your mother's room somewhere to commit her to the Blessed Mother's care. She will come around; in spiritual warfare, the Evil One is always the loser. Don't let him get to you. :)

You’ve got good advice here. Keep reading these boards.

I think you’re very fortunate that you eventually were able to understand the mass—I know that’s quite a rarity among younger guys these days. . . I don’t know why (here in the U.S.) there’s not just a big “show mass” where each part can get explained and discussed and understood.

The only bit I’d toss to you is that humans are intellectually spiritual. People seem to intuitively know there is a “Big Picture” God out there. The understanding follows this.

What’s difficult can be a bit of pride; I think atheisms rest largely on this, the notion that the entirety of the universe can be apprehended by one’s mind. A lack of intellectual humility.

Thanks so much to everyone for the replies,it really helped.I’ve decided to pray to The Lord and hopefully he will make my mother more comfortable with the idea of me joining the priesthood,

Joining in with your prayers. Just keep God first and He will show you the way. Never be afraid to follow his will!

In some ways I think its helpful to have a parent who’s less than enthusiastic about the idea of priesthood because it means that there’s less pressure to meet their expectations. It doesn’t surprise me in the least that a mother in Ireland would be wary of the idea of priesthood for their son given the current climate. Any mother is obviously protective of their son and so, for the OP, you need to be aware of the difficult task that priests (and future priests) in Ireland have to rebuild faith in the Church. While it is of course true that the actions and omissions of only a comparative handful of priests and bishops are to blame, the simple reality is that the role of a priest carries with it considerable expectations - and rightly so. That said, there are many, many more good and faithful priests working quietly for the Lord in the background and, God willing, more to come. the advice I would give you is something I often remind myself of: don’t not do it because it’s difficult.

Thanks so much for that advice,it really helped so much

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.