Help with act of contition in Latin please

There is the shorter version and the longer version, I have only found the longer version in Latin but wouldn’t want to cut off the bits I think into the smaller version in case I cut off the wrong word.

Deus meus, ex toto corde poenitet me omnium meorum peccatorum, eaque detestor, quia peccando, non solum poenas a Te iuste statutas promeritus sum, sed praesertim quia offendi Te, summum bonum, ac dignum qui super omnia diligaris. Ideo firmiter propono, adiuvante gratia Tua, de cetero me non peccaturum peccandique occasiones proximas fugiturum. Amen.

Oh my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended You and by the help of Your Grace I will not offend you again. Amen.

Thanks.

No Latin experts?

I’m not a latin scholar at ALL… but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once :wink:

I think the first part would be,

Deus meus, ex toto corde pænitet me omnium meorum peccatorum, et adiuvante gratia Tua,
(Oh my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended You and by the help of Your Grace)

but the second part (I will not offend you again) is not a proper translation of the ending of the longer version you posted.

You could instead end it with:

Ideo firmiter propono, adiuvante gratia Tua, de cetero me non peccaturum peccandique occasiones proximas fugiturum.
(I firmly resolve with the help of Your grace, to sin no more and avoid the near occasions of sin)

So you could say something like this:

Deus meus, ex toto corde pænitet me omnium meorum peccatorum, et ldeo firmiter proponoet, adiuvante gratia Tua, de cetero me non peccaturum peccandique occasiones proximas fugiturum.

(Oh my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended You and I firmly resolve, with the help of Your grace, to sin no more and avoid the near occasions of sin)

In the beginning “ex toto corde poenitet” is it not rather “ex toto corde paenitet”?

Yes, I believe so. I edited my post to correct it. Thanks for the help!:slightly_smiling_face:

Any other latin scholars, please feel free to correct any mistakes I made.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.