Help with divine mercy chaplet

I am including below questions I asked in the spirituality subforum. I was kindly directed here by a member:

Confused by divine mercy chaplet
I do not normally say this chaplet, but I have been prescribed it as a penance twice.

The Eternal Father prayer is an offering of Christ’s body, blood, soul, and divinity. To offer the divinity seems to imply that the divinity suffered and was offered on the cross.

Furthermore why offer the divinity that the whole Trinity already has? Jesus assumed human nature to offer it precisely because the Father has no human nature. He doesn’t need to be offered divinity.

I understand that Christ’s divinity is present in the Eucharist and was present on the cross. But that is not the same as to say that the divine nature is offered up. It is the body and blood that were offered up, Jesus’ humanity that suffered.

I cannot think of any way to interpret this prayer in an orthodox way. I’m looking for an orthodox way to interpret this prayer.

You can not seperate Christs humanity from his divinity. He is whole and not parts. I think you may be reading to much into this statement. This prayer was evidently given from Jesus directly to St. Faustina. I would suggest you see it in that light!

In fact the Council of Chalcedon distinguishes the divine and human natures. Jesus is one person in two natures. While the one person of Jesus suffered in his human nature, the divine nature cannot suffer. The divine nature is equally possessed by Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

What I am looking for is an answer to what it means to offer up divinity. Am I to understand that Jesus suffered in both his human and divine natures?

Hi, Merrick!

…I think what you are missing is that relationship of God… we are told by St. Paul that we must offer up everything in Christ Jesus… so when offering up to God or the Father we offer everything that is Jesus… since the Word Incarnate never ceased being God… Jesus own Divinity is offered to the Father/God as proof that we Believe in His Divinity…

Consider Hebrews 1… why would God Call the Son God, did He need to remember that the Son was God?

Consider John 1… why is it Revealed that in the Beginning the Word was God and that the Word was with God… and then its repeated the same (the Word) was in the Beginning with God?

Finally, consider that Jesus states that He Gives His Life for the world… that no one takes it from Him, that He has the Power to Give it up and to Take it up again, and that that is the Command that He has from the Father? (St. John 10:17-18) But not only that… then we have the various Scriptures that speak on the Resurrection… they state that the Father (God) Resurrected Christ… and they also state that the Holy Spirit (God) Resurrected Christ… were there three Resurrections? Clearly not! But the Revelation is that God (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) Resurrected Christ… to offer Christ’s total entity (corporal and spiritual), as far as I can understand, follows this very same concept of interaction in God, by God and through God.

Maran atha!

Angel

The divinity of Jesus is the divinity of the Father is the divinity of the Holy Spirit.

So, if I understand you correctly Jesus offered all to the Father including the divinity that already belonged to the Father. Is that what you mean?

What does it mean to offer to the Father what is already (unlike Christ’s humanity) the Father’s nature?

Hi Merrick,

I’m posting a link to EWTN’s website with information on the Divine Mercy Chaplet.

The Chaplet focuses on God’s Divine Mercy for the world.

In the Chaplet, we’re offering Jesus back to God the Father, in Jesus’ body, blood, soul, and divinity. Jesus was/is divine, as well as being human.

Personally, I think that it’s easiest just to look at how it is written in the Chaplet, and just focus on it the way that it is exactly written there, otherwise I think that we can get ourselves confused. :slight_smile:

I hope that the information provided in the link can help you out a bit.

Here is the link:

ewtn.com/devotionals/mercy/dmmap.htm

There are links off to the left side of the website that also contain more information.

I’m editing my post to add that it might help you to understand the Chaplet a bit more if you could read some of St. Faustina’s Diary, as it could put what is in the Chaplet more into context for you. :slight_smile:

Here is another link to the Marians’ website for more info. on the Divine Mercy.

thedivinemercy.org/message/

Thank you. Scanning the site I do not see my question addressed specifically in reference to the divine nature.

I understand Jesus offered himself on the cross in his humanity and offers himself in each Eucharist in his Body and Blood. What I am asking here I suppose is what does it actually mean to sacrificially offer up to the Father the divinity of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit?

I think I understand where you’re coming from now. At first it was confusing me, but now I think I understand. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think that you’re looking at it from the viewpoint of the Holy Trinity, as offering it up from the point of view as the divinity of all of the divine natures.

What I “see” in the Chaplet is what I already mentioned–that we offer to God the Father, Jesus in His–Jesus’–body, blood, soul and divinity. The person of Jesus, Himself. It’s as it is written in the Chaplet.

This is how Jesus asked for the Chaplet to be done.

I have the Diary. I’ll look in there and try and see if I can find it in the Diary, to see if it actually comes in as to how the Chaplet was written. Give me a chance to try and find it, and if I can do that, I’ll post with more info. for you. :slight_smile:

It’s a beautiful prayer. Do you think a holy priest would ask you to pray something in error? :rolleyes:
Defer to his judgment. He obviously thought you would benefit from this prayer.
do your penance and see if things don’t work out just fine.
I also highly recommend the Litany of Humility.

Merrick,

I think we have to recognize that Jesus, by becoming human, laid aside the prerogatives of divinity, accepting an abasement of stature.

Thus his incarnation is a sacrifice in itself.

It is this aspect of his divinity that is offered: his acceptance of total humility.

(Just as he offered his body and blood tbrough a terrible human death)

peace
steve

Well no, not exactly. There is only one divine nature of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. To sacrificially offer the divinity of the Son is to sacrificially offer the divinity of the Father and indeed of the whole Godhead: the Father and Son are consubstantial as to their divinity. This is the point I have not been able to make sense of.

I do not perceive it as a lack of humility on my part to try to understand the theology inherent in a prayer and that does involve the use of the critical faculty. The wording of the post seems to insinuate (wrongly) that I did not perform the penance.

This is more to the point of the question, but I still do not fully understand. The prayer is in part and offering up of divinity to the Father. Do you then mean the Father’s own divinity is offered up to the Father himself sacrificially?

No, not the Father’s divinity to the Father, but rather the Son’s obedience to the Father, resulting in the willing non-use by the Son of His Divinity.

Offering His Divinity is a shorthand for reminding the Father of the Son’s humbling of Himself in obedience in the Incarnation.

peace
steve

Are you an over-thinker? Consider the hypostatic union. Without it, Christ’s sacrifice would have been either impossible or ineffective. Body, Blood Soul and Divinity make up Christ - the eternal Son of God with two natures.

Consider a copy of 7 Secrets of Divine Mercy by Vinny Flynn.

No, Christ is a person with a divine nature. That person assumed the humanity. To say that Divinity along with other elements is what Jesus consists of is to confuse the natures with the person.

I don’t think the prayer reads that way, but in any case it is Jesus the person that was humbled, not the divinity of the Godhead. I think this interpretation confuses nature with person.

Also, to offer Jesus’ divinity is to offer the Father’s divinity. There are not two divinities, but one. The Father and Son are consubstantial in their divinity.

I will probably let this rest now and pursue other devotions instead.

Hi Merrick,

Thanks for coming back to explain more of what you’ve been trying to say. :slight_smile:

As I’ve also mentioned, it would probably also help you if you read some parts of the Diary, so that you could take it into context along with the Chaplet, so that it could make more sense to you.

I’m posting sections from the Diary, that explain how the Chaplet prayers came into being.

Excerpts from “Divine Mercy in My Soul,” The Diary of the Servant of God, Sister M. Faustina Kowalska, Marian Press, 1987, Stockbridge Massachusetts, 01263

Pgs. 207-208

Section 474 in the Diary–I’m paraphrasing what happens as it’s a bit long: St. Faustina explains that she sees an angel of divine wrath in her convent cell. He’s about to strike the earth, so she then implores him so that he won’t; she then sees The Holy Trinity, and then she’s taken to the Throne of God. As she’s pleading with God, the angel is unable to do anything.

Section 475 in the Diary, word for word: The words with which I entreated God are these:
Eternal Father, I offer You the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Your dearly beloved Son, Our Lord Jesus Christ for our sins and those of the whole world; for the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us.

Section 476 in the Diary, here is what she says: The next morning, when I entered chapel, I heard these words interiorly: **Every time you enter the chapel, immediately recite the prayer which I taught you yesterday. **When I had said the prayer, in my soul I heard these words: This prayer will serve to appease My wrath…

Jesus goes on to then give instructions as to how to pray the Chaplet.

Jesus refers to God as My Father in the Diary. Diary reference 1541 is one reference to this.

Here is a link to the saint-faustina.com website with more Diary passages, and more info:

saint-faustina.com/drp/?q=chaplet

Hi, Merrick!

…it seems complicated… because it deals with vocabulary… remember back in elementary or kindergarten? I doubt that your introduction to first grade would have been Geometry or any higher math/science… do you recall when you first learned about primary colors and about macro/micro events?

…the same goes for Revelation… Scriptures are God’s Revelation about God… as the Church matured more was unfolded… as the Church began to engage God, she sought means to express it (Doctrine); within this effort vocabulary took shape…

…you ask how can we offer to God what is already God’s?

…well Scriptures attest that that is exactly what Yahweh God asked… everything already Belongs to Him!

…yet, He made man the steward of Creation… and expects man to Offer to Him that which is already His… under the Old Covenant it was determined that the tithing be offered… in the New Covenant it was determined that man should give from the heart in generous portions…

How much more a generous Gift can man give to God than Jesus, His Own Offering?

…as for the peculiarity of vocabulary… consider the following:

[FONT=“Garamond”][size=]22 And the glory which thou hast given me, I have given to them; that they may be one, as we also are one: 23 I in them, and thou in me; that they may be made perfect in one: and the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast also loved me.

(St. John 17:22-23)
We are in agreement that God is God, correct?

…so why would the Father Give Glory to the Son?

…check the clue given in this passage: “made perfect in one.”

It is this Unity that compels man to join God and to offer to God God Himself:

27 All things are put under him; undoubtedly, he is excepted, who put all things under him. 28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then the Son also himself shall be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

(1 Corinthians 15:27-28)
…it is difficult to follow… how can God be subject to God? Does that mean that there are different levels… that God the Father ranks above God the Son and that God the Son ranks above God the Holy Spirit?

…well that would necessitate multiple Gods, would it not?

Yet, Yahweh God Reveals that He Alone is God… later He Reveals that He, the Word, existed from the Beginning with God and was God, from the Beginning… then the Incarnate Word Reveals that God is Spirit… and later it is Revealed that the Spirit of the Christ, the Son, is the Spirit of the Father… and that there is but One Spirit! It is to this Oneness, this Divine Unity, which we are Called!

Can man fully understand God’s Revelation? Can man’s way be God’s Way?

Maran atha!

Angel

[/size][/FONT]

Jesus soul and divinity are also present in the Eucharist which we offer to God. From the Catechism:

1374 The mode of Christ’s presence under the Eucharistic species is unique. It raises the Eucharist above all the sacraments as "the perfection of the spiritual life and the end to which all the sacraments tend."201 In the most blessed sacrament of the Eucharist "the body and blood, together with the soul and divinity, of our Lord Jesus Christ and, therefore, the whole Christ is truly, really, and substantially contained."202 “This presence is called ‘real’ - by which is not intended to exclude the other types of presence as if they could not be ‘real’ too, but because it is presence in the fullest sense: that is to say, it is a substantial presence by which Christ, God and man, makes himself wholly and entirely present.”

I don’t think I can answer your question but I think the words of the chaplet are consistent with orthodoxy and the teachings on the Eucharist.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.