Help with finding Bible verse

I’m trying to find the Bible reference I heard after Christmas at Mass. I’ve searched for it on Google, but, bizzarrely, without success.

Here it is:

‘‘I urge you to give up everything that does not lead to God.’’

Sounds like a paraphrase of Matthew 19:21: "If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me."

It's good but it's not right. I had thought it was from Titus but I don't think so.

I know I heard it at Mass during the readings. I didn't imagine such wisdom!

The USCCB has a nice feature that allows you to see the readings of the day.

Does anything there ring a bell for you?

I went to mycatholic.com and looked at all of the readings around Christmas. I didn't see it. The closest I came doing a bing search was in Romans. There weren't any readings from Romans so I guess that wasn't it either.

Sorry

I just read every reading from every mass from Dec 24 until today, and none of them say that. Could it be from the homily?

Or inspiration?

Could not find the precise quote; but these Do support hat message

1Sam.14: 36 Then Saul said, "Let us go down after the Philistines by night and despoil them until the morning light; let us not leave a man of them." And they said, "Do whatever seems good to you." But the priest said, "Let us draw near hither to God."

Ps.51:17 The sacrifice acceptable to God is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

Jonah.3: 8 but let man and beast be covered with sackcloth, and let them cry mightily to God; yea, let every one turn from his evil way and from the violence which is in his hands.

Luke 10: 25 He said to them, "Then render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's."

Rom.12: 1 I appeal to you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.

1Pet.2: 5 and like living stones be yourselves built into a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ

Rom.13: 12,14 “the night is far gone, the day is at hand. Let us then cast off the works of darkness and put on the armor of light; But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires.

Eph.4: 24 “And put on the new nature, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.

Eph.6: 11, 14 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. Stand therefore, having girded your loins with truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness,

Col.3: 10,12, 14 and have put on the new nature, which is being renewed in knowledge after the image of its creator. Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassion, kindness, lowliness, meekness, and patience, And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.

1Thes.5: 8 But, since we belong to the day, let us be sober, and put on the breastplate of faith and love, and for a helmet the hope of salvation.

Romans 16:17 Now I beseech you, brethren, to mark them who make dissensions and offences contrary to the doctrine which you have learned, and avoid them.

[quote="Irish_Hare, post:1, topic:310038"]
I'm trying to find the Bible reference I heard after Christmas at Mass. I've searched for it on Google, but, bizzarrely, without success.

Here it is:

''I urge you to give up everything that does not lead to God.''

[/quote]

I believe it is not in the bible as you have quoted it. Jesus told us to seek first the Kingdom of God. He also said to store up treasure in Heaven because where our treasure is, there will our hearts be also. He also said in John 14:23, that if we love Him we will keep His word, and the Father will love us, and they will dwell within us. He also said that not everyone who says to Him, "Lord, Lord," will enter the kingdom of Heaven, but only those who do the will of the Father.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.