Help with JW's and Hell

Couple questions for anyone who might help:

1. The Greek word for “torment”, basanizo , according to Jason Evert’s book, Answering Jehovah’s Witnesses , refers to punishment, torment, or vexation. I wish I could remember what this particular JW said the meaning was, but it was not any of these translations (it was somewhat of a different word). Is there somewhere I could go to reference the correct meaning of the Greek to show them?

2. Also, how do you respond to the claim that God intended man to live forever on the earth? (thus the “earthly paradise”). References in Bible to Psalms 36: 9, 11, 22, 29, 34. (for example, Psalm 36: 29 “But the just shall inherit the land, and shall dwell therein for evermore.”)

Oh, and also in Matt 5:4 “Blessed are the meek: for they shall possess the land.” Jesus’ own words :confused:

[quote=DonaNobisPacem]Couple questions for anyone who might help:

1. The Greek word for “torment”, basanizo , according to Jason Evert’s book, Answering Jehovah’s Witnesses , refers to punishment, torment, or vexation. I wish I could remember what this particular JW said the meaning was, but it was not any of these translations (it was somewhat of a different word). Is there somewhere I could go to reference the correct meaning of the Greek to show them?

bible.crosswalk.com/Lexicons/Greek/grk.cgi?number=928&version=kjv
[/quote]

[quote=DonaNobisPacem]Couple questions for anyone who might help:

1. Also, how do you respond to the claim that God intended man to live forever on the earth? (thus the “earthly paradise”). References in Bible to Psalms 36: 9, 11, 22, 29, 34. (for example, Psalm 36: 29 “But the just shall inherit the land, and shall dwell therein for evermore.”)
    [/quote]

well, this is one of those ‘literal’ translations… the only response i
can think of is, does that mean just people live evermore? or
do they believe that just people die, then sometime in the
distant future, they will come back to this same earth and live
in … missouri?

and didn’t John say, ‘and i saw a new heaven and a new earth’… ?

i have enough trouble with my own beliefs… lol

:slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.