Help with learning the Little Office!

I have very few knowledge of Latin, I only know the Pater and Ave, I would love to start praying the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary, but I do not know any Latin. Is there any advice,websites, books, etc. that you fellow forum members would recommend to me so I can learn my Hours? God bless and may the Holy Virgin Protect!

I pray the Little Office in English.

liturgies.net/Liturgies/Catholic/LittleOffice.htm

[quote="bben15, post:2, topic:336516"]
I pray the Little Office in English.

liturgies.net/Liturgies/Catholic/LittleOffice.htm

[/quote]

I prefer it in Latin, the Little Office is a liturgical prayer, and liturgical prayers are supposed to be in Latin. Besides, Latin is very beautiful and adds beauty and reverence to the Hours. may the Holy Virgin protect you!

[quote="CountrySteve, post:1, topic:336516"]
I have very few knowledge of Latin, I only know the Pater and Ave, I would love to start praying the Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary, but I do not know any Latin. Is there any advice,websites, books, etc. that you fellow forum members would recommend to me so I can learn my Hours? God bless and may the Holy Virgin Protect!

[/quote]

I pray it in English as well. What if you kept the English version beside you while praying it in Latin, so as to understand what you are praying? :)

Any good Catholic book store should have both versions available for purchase.

[quote="jmcrae, post:4, topic:336516"]
I pray it in English as well. What if you kept the English version beside you while praying it in Latin, so as to understand what you are praying? :)

Any good Catholic book store should have both versions available for purchase.

[/quote]

Oh, my 'little Breviary' has the vernacular next to the Latin, I just don't want to pray it in English, as its not liturgical. God bless!

[quote="CountrySteve, post:5, topic:336516"]
Oh, my 'little Breviary' has the vernacular next to the Latin, I just don't want to pray it in English, as its not liturgical. God bless!

[/quote]

It is perfectly fine to pray it in English. Of course, if you prefer to pray it in Latin that is your choice.

[quote="Dorothy, post:6, topic:336516"]
It is perfectly fine to pray it in English. Of course, if you prefer to pray it in Latin that is your choice.

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

[quote="Dorothy, post:6, topic:336516"]

[/quote]

I understand its perfectly fine to pray it in English and is even praiseworthy to do so. I just long to learn it in Latin, and its been impossible to find resources for this task. God bless!

There is a Latin-English version for sale at amazon: amazon.com/Little-Office-Blessed-According-Carmelite/dp/1105238091.

[quote="CountrySteve, post:8, topic:336516"]
I understand its perfectly fine to pray it in English and is even praiseworthy to do so. I just long to learn it in Latin, and its been impossible to find resources for this task. God bless!

[/quote]

If you have the Latin in your Breviary, then what more resources do you need? :confused:

[quote="jmcrae, post:10, topic:336516"]
If you have the Latin in your Breviary, then what more resources do you need? :confused:

[/quote]

I don't know the correct pronunciation for the Latin is the problem, sorry, I should have been more clear.

[quote="CountrySteve, post:11, topic:336516"]
I don't know the correct pronunciation for the Latin is the problem, sorry, I should have been more clear.

[/quote]

Oh, I see. Take Wheelock's Latin home study program. You can get it on Amazon.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.