Help with Liturgy of the Hours

Can someone point me to a good website or book resource on the Liturgy of the Hours.

I want to start praying the Liturgy of the Hours but I cant find any good resources about it.

Thank you,

I’ve had great success with The Divine Office for Dodos: A Step by Step Guide to Praying the Liturgy of the Hours. It covers the 4-volume set, the single volume “Christian Prayer” book, and if I remember correctly; the single volume “Shorter Christian Prayer” book.

I bought it.

Thanks!

You’re quite welcome! :tiphat: I hope it’s as helpful for you as it was for me (and my husband).

I would also like to suggest universalis.com/n-web.htm. This web site gives the readings for each of the hours (for example, Morning Prayer, Mid-Day Prayer, etc.), updated each day. It offers the prayers, canticles, psalms, readings, responses, etc. in a linear format that is easy to follow. I am always amazed to think that I am reciting the same prayers that are being recited in many languages all over the world, the same prayers that have been recited by saints and laymen for centuries. The Liturgy of the Hours has been such a rich source of spiritual growth for me. I hope you will find these ancient prayers as great a blessing as I have! :gopray2:

Another strong endorsement for universalis.com. I have it on my browser and cell phone (free), desktop, Palm, and PocketPC (nominal single cost for all). Martin does a wonderful job in this ministry, and is constantly adding features and content.

Praying the hours is a tremendous way to deepen your faith and connection to the faithful through the ages. I’d recommend it to anyone, even Catholics!

The easiest introduction is Shorter Christian Prayer. Very easy for beginners to follow. It has what is needed for Morning, Evening, and Night prayer.

The biggest drawback is that it only has one week of readings for Lent and Advent, so that gets a little repetitious. There is nothing for the Office of Readings, but I’m not sure I’d have time to pray that anyway.

Even though I own the single volume Christian Prayer, I almost always pray with SCP - itis small enough to fit in my purse, so it is always with me.

My 2 cents.

Hello!:tiphat:

I recommend this web group: groups.yahoo.com/group/TheRomanBreviaryGroup/

All my best wishes for you as you embark on praying the LOTH!

It's been an incredible experience for me, and I hope it will be for you, too.

I see someone has already suggested “The Divine Office for Dodos”. I am using this to learn the Divine Office. So far, it has been easy to follow, a little frustrating in the beginning, keeping up with ribbons and bookmarks, but I think I am getting the hang of it. This week I am studying how to pray during the upcoming Advent season.

I am using the one volume Christian Prayer. Let me know how it is going for you, maybe we can answer each others questions as we go.

In Christ’s Love,
Maggie

I second the recommendations of the Dodos book and the universalis website.

Would also like to recommend "The School of Prayer: An Introduction to the Divine Office for All Christians" by John Brook, published by The Liturgical Press, Collegeville, Minnesota.
:thumbsup:
He does an excellent job of explaining both the particulars of how to pray the Divine Office as well as a more general approach to the spirituality behind it, its historical context, things like that.

Pray without ceasing!
:highprayer:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.