Help with non Catholic Baptism?

I know the Church accept some other denominations Baptism if someone converts to Catholicism. I don’t understand this, if their original denomination was not the Church that Jesus set up (which it wan’t) and they teach incorrect doctrines etc, then how can the Baptism be accepted as valid?
Also, my friend belongs to a pentecostal type Church called the Revival Centre here in Australia. They only believe in Baptism by full immersion and that they are filled with the Holy Spirit with the proof of speaking in tongues. I went to one meeting a couple of years ago, and they did speak in tongues and also prophecy and heal etc. Being a small movement I am not sure whether the Catholic Church would recognise their Baptism should one covert to Catholicism. My question is, is why would God fill people with the Holy Spirit if they are practicing an incorrect faith, and why would he give them special gifts such as speaking in tongues, healing, prophecy etc, when these specific gifts are not very prevailant within Catholics themselves. This Revival Centre in fact are very anti Catholic so I have found out, and teach this to all their members and even tried to tell me at the one meeting I went to. I just wonder why God would give them the gift of the Holy Spirit when they in fact use it to denounce the true Church and to teach incorrect doctrines.
Others thought would be much appreciated.

i don’t know if this will help or not. but it is about baptism, and it is from the CA library. check it out.

catholic.com/library/sacraments.asp

The Church has since the beginning recognized that baptism can be conferred validly even by heretics and schismatics so long as the minister of baptism intends to do what the Church does.

This article: ewtn.com/library/Theology/MORMBAP1.HTM has an explanation of this principle before it goes on to talk about Mormon baptism.

Regarding the “gifts of the Holy Spirit,” which seem to be given in certain groups, even non-Catholic groups, there is frequently no certainty that these gifts are, in fact, given by the Holy Spirit.

If these gifts are given by the Holy Spirit, then they will always point in some–even unknown–way to the Catholic Church.

As in the New Testament, those who receive gifts from the Holy Spirit must subject those gifts to the judgment of the apostles, that is, in these days to the bishops.

The two requirements (other than the recipients requirements) are form (the words, “I baptize you in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit”) and matter (water, in various forms). I could perform a baptism. You could perform a baptism. That’s why the Church accepts a Baptists Baptisms.

BTW, regarding the “Speaking in Tongues”, was there a person there to interpret the tongues? Are you aware of what the Bible says about speaking in tongues without having someone there to interpret?

I know the Church accept some other denominations Baptism if someone converts to Catholicism. I don’t understand this, if their original denomination was not the Church that Jesus set up (which it wan’t) and they teach incorrect doctrines etc, then how can the Baptism be accepted as valid?

For a Baptism to be valid 3 things are required.

1: Water must flow over a portion of the body.
2: It must be Trinitarian. "In the Name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit"
3: The Intent must be to obey Christ in His command to Baptize.

What is not required is that the one doing it be perfect. We all sin and fall short of Gods glory.

Informally, I know in my own baptism there were also other Christians who came from Anglican or Uniting Church backgrounds, and their baptisms were viewed as legitmate.

To be valid, a sacrament must have proper form, matter and intent.

In the case of baptism:

1. Form is the trinitarian formula: “I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.”

2. Matter is the water sprinkled, poured or used to immerse.

3. Intent is what the baptizing person intended to do.

Non-Catholics can get all three of these correct; therefore, the sacrament is valid.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.