Help with Numbers 18:7 - Translation differences

Hello,

So when reading Numbers 18:7 RSV-2CE, it reads as

And you and your sons with you shall attend to your priesthood for all that concerns the altar and that is within the veil; and you shall serve. I give your priesthood as a gift, and anyone else who comes near shall be put to death.

I referenced this with the DR version, and I noticed something different, specifically the line about the priesthood being a gift:

But thou and thy sons look ye to the priesthood: and all things that pertain to the service of the altar, and that are within the veil, shall be executed by the priests. If any stranger shall approach, he shall be slain.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on why there would be such an apparently significant difference between the two translations. I referenced other translations and they say (with slightly different wording) the same thing as the RSV.

Thanks.

The translation sources would be a key reason. The RSV is translated directly from the Masoretic Hebrew text. The DR is translated from the Latin, which in turn is translated from the Hebrew available to St. Jerome, whatever that was.

So the DR is two languages removed from the Hebrew. Some discrepancy is to be expected.

We also don’t know what Hebrew St. Jerome translated from. Today’s Nova Vulgata has a rendering consistent with the RSV: “Ministerium do vobis sacerdotium in donum;”

Took a while to see the difference… possibly because English is still my second language. It’s the " I give your priesthood as a gift" that differ, right?

Unfortunately I do not know.

What’s interesting is that the difference is even there between the two Chinese bible translation:

From CUB (Chinese Protestant)
你和你的兒子要為一切屬壇和幔子內的事一同守祭司的職任。你們要這樣供職。我將祭司的職任給你們當做賞賜侍奉我。凡挨近的外人必被治死。
Trans: You and your son will be responsible for all duties related to the altar and those within the veil, all priesthood duties. You shall serve. I give you the duty of priest for you as a gift to serve me. Any strangers that approached should be put to death

But Dun Scotus (Chnese Catholic)
(ccreadbible.org/Chinese%20Bible/TwDouBible/Numbers_bible_Ch_18_.html) have the following translation
至於你和你的兒子,在有關祭壇和帷幔以內的一切事上,應留心盡你們司祭的職務;你們應獻身於我賜予你們的司祭職務。俗人若敢近前,必處死刑。
Trans: As for you and your son, on everything that is related to altars and those within the veil, should focus on your priesthood duties. You should consecrate/sacrifice yourself upon the priesthood I give you. Any commoners that approach shall be put to death.

So there is something odd re DR/Vulgate.

There’s no difference if you take into account verse 6.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.