Help with paranoia/stress/depression

There are so many things that I’ve bottled up inside for nearly a month, and these things are driving me crazy… and I need some help.

1. The girl that I liked before (and now I’m trying my very best not to like her), I kind of miss her. Maybe in a long-lost classmate way because when she’s around, she’s so funny that the class is very enjoyable. And I’m scared that I might like her again. Especially I dream t about her last night!

2. While I was just going home, I thought a guy said 'hey kids, when are you going to have lunch?" I just assumed he was talking to me and my friend, on account of not seeing him too clearly. Plus, he was with some other guys. I’m just super paranoid that he’s gonna rape me or something because I’m wearing my uniform and he’ll know my school. Besides, I don’t see him looking after us as we walked away. But I’ve been thinking about these very much lately. All about me being raped or followed or killed. This have happened before and I was on medication. Only I’ve stopped now. I’m getting scared when any one just stares at me. Only guys though.

3. I’m a prefect. And that means I have to catch people using phones, breaking rules, etc. But my seatmate is a MAJOR rule breaker and not to mention basically made my friend’s high school life a hell just because she didn’t like her. And I’m afraid if I caught her, the same would happen to me.

4. I am deprived of love. I just want somebody like a boyfriend to protect and love me. Really, I just feel so lonely.

5. School work’s way too much. I’m not used to this new year yet and I’m totally a mess. Everytime I forgot to bring something, I was thinking “I’m a prefect, I have to be a role model, and I’m such a failure.” And time’s running out, but I still don’t want to work!

6. Because I don’t want to work, then I’m scared that I’m being lazy. And then I would be committing one of the seven deadly sins. And then I worry about it.

7. I don’t have a particularly best-best friend right now. Not one that I could tell everything to. The closest friend spends much more less time with me now because she’s in a different class.

That’s basically it. I’m been putting off these problems all along but they come rushing back up. I really do need some comfort. Any advice?

A sin is something you deliberately do. Try not to obsess about things that are occuring in your sleep. Also realize its ok to miss people. It sounds to me that you’re afraid that there is something evil inside you. Remember that God loves you, and that it is His work in us that frees us from sin. Stop trying to do God’s work for Him. Our job is not to make ourselves perfect before presenting ourselves to God, but presenting ourselves to God as we are, handing our volunerable selves to Him and allowing Him to finish and purify His work of creation.

1. While I was just going home, I thought a guy said 'hey kids, when are you going to have lunch?" I just assumed he was talking to me and my friend, on account of not seeing him too clearly. Plus, he was with some other guys. I’m just super paranoid that he’s gonna rape me or something because I’m wearing my uniform and he’ll know my school. Besides, I don’t see him looking after us as we walked away. But I’ve been thinking about these very much lately. All about me being raped or followed or killed. This have happened before and I was on medication. Only I’ve stopped now. I’m getting scared when any one just stares at me. Only guys though.

I’d suggest you talk to a councilor about this. When I was in highschool, I too was paranoid about men raping me. I have no idea where you live or how safe your neighborhood is and thus can’t really judge the situation beyond that. Sometimes our fears are based upon living in a dangerous neighborhood, but othertimes they’re based upon something deeper inside of us.

1. I’m a prefect. And that means I have to catch people using phones, breaking rules, etc. But my seatmate is a MAJOR rule breaker and not to mention basically made my friend’s high school life a hell just because she didn’t like her. And I’m afraid if I caught her, the same would happen to me.

This might be a good thing to talk to a school guidence councilor about as well.

1. I am deprived of love. I just want somebody like a boyfriend to protect and love me. Really, I just feel so lonely.

God is love. Paraphrasing St. Augustine, our hearts are restless till they rest in Him.
I had my first boyfriend when I was 17 and when we broke up I realized I had idolized him. Before I had dated, I always pitied myself because all the girls who had been broken up with at least had memories of being loved and I longed for something I just couldn’t seem to get. What I didn’t realize is that I wanted to base my self worth on a boy’s opinion of me rather than on God’s opinion. I then found that when my boyfriend broke up with me that I sunk into a horrible depression because that person who had told me I was worthwhile had now changed his mind.

I would urge you to develop your relationship with God. Give Him as much of your heart as you can, and He’ll be far better than any boyfriend you could ever fall for.

1. School work’s way too much. I’m not used to this new year yet and I’m totally a mess. Everytime I forgot to bring something, I was thinking “I’m a prefect, I have to be a role model, and I’m such a failure.” And time’s running out, but I still don’t want to work!

Getting a good study habit is about starting off with a good habit. We tend to do things in patterns. If you’ve gotten yourself in the pattern of coming home, watching TV, surfing the internet, etc, its going to be very hard to break that habit. Try to brainstorm a pattern and assign yourself a pattern. Make your own chart for when you do what homework and a visual chart of what books you’ll need on what days, etc. Growing up involves learning to make our own instructions in order to better follow through with our responsibilities rather than relying so much on adults to make them all for us.

1. Because I don’t want to work, then I’m scared that I’m being lazy. And then I would be committing one of the seven deadly sins. And then I worry about it.

The seven deadly sins are the vices or the dispositions in our heart that motivate us to commit actual sins. We all have these vices. The seven deadly sins should not be confused with mortal sin.

1. I don’t have a particularly best-best friend right now. Not one that I could tell everything to. The closest friend spends much more less time with me now because she’s in a different class.

Pray for a friend, but like I said before, make sure you’re also sharing all this stuff with Christ.

Are you in highschool or college?

Second off, paranoia and stress are anxiety from depression. You need to see a counselor.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.