Help with passage from Acts

In Acts 13:32-33, St. Paul says to the people in the synagogue:

*We ourselves are proclaiming this good news to you that what God promised our ancestors he has brought to fulfillment for us, (their) children, by raising up Jesus, as it is written in the second psalm, ‘You are my son; this day I have begotten you.’ *

I don’t understand why that quote from the second Psalm means that God raised Jesus from the dead. Does anyone have any ideas?

**This is from the Navarre Bible commentary:

Paul gives three pertinent quotations from Scripture—Ps 2:7 (“Thou art my Son”), Is 55:3 (“I will give you the holy and sure blessings of David”) and Ps 16:10 (“thy Holy One”). All refer to aspects of the Lord’s resurrection. Taken together, they help support and interpret one another, and to someone familiar with the Bible and with ways of interpreting it then current they reveal the full meaning of the main texts concerning the promises made to David. Paul’s interpretation of Palms 2 and 16 gets beneath the surface meaning of the texts and shows them to refer to the messianic king who, since he is born of God, will never experience the corruption of the grave.**

If I recall correctly, when Jesus spoke of himself as the Son of God, the Jews understood he was declaring himself divine. Perhaps St Paul understood the verse from Psalm 2 as similarly prophesying the divinity of the Messiah. If the Messiah were divine, then it follows that death could have no lasting hold on him; if he allowed himself to be killed, he would surely rise again.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.