Help with public school providing sexual content to students

Which is not the same as reading the book.

The book contained discussions about the “g-spot” and how to find it, called the sexual act f~~~ing multiple times, as well as had the part that objectified the adult woman he admired (masturbation).

Is it necessary to present that sort of content to minors, even if you want to use a “coming of age book”? No.

Are there worse books out there that she could present? Oh yes! But that is not the issue. The issue is: Are there better books to use? And why aren’t we using those
books?

What does this mean?

The discussion here is not intended to fully explore the books, but to discuss whether it is appropriate for an adult to present a book with explicit sexual content to minors. It is not relevant that the adult has other merits that are being completely ignored, or the book has merits that are being completely ignored. That is periphery to the topic, not central.

In the reading you did about the book, it appears that the discussion of the book was so narrowly focused that the offensive elements have been completely ignored. And that, my friends, is dangerous.

Previous polling has reported that 82 percent of American Catholics say birth control is “morally acceptable,” and 98 percent of U.S. Catholic women of childbearing age have used contraception at some point while they’ve been sexually active.Aug 4, 2015

What does this mean? A lot of us Catholics don’t necessarily practice what is preached. But this could and is a topic for other threads.

“Moral principles do not depend on a majority vote. Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is wrong. Right is right, even if nobody is right.”

Venerable Fulton J. Sheen

Oh, I absolutely agree with you. Find a better book for your daughter. One that is not offensive to you or her. Happy reading!

I agree. There are views the Church holds that I do not share, even though I choose at this point in my life to make an effort to live by the rules. But this is about the OP who does believe in particular rules, and her daughter, and their views need to be respected too.

I’m an English literature teacher in the U.K. and put a lot of thought into which books my students will study with me. I once selected the book Heroes by Cormier (a Catholic writer). That book has a rape scene but is so subtle and well written that it highlighted the shame felt by the victim and the desire to keep it hidden. Whilst I probably wouldn’t select In Cold Blood (and in reality couldn’t as it’s not a set text and there’s too much to cover) for a class of 15 year olds a lot of it comes down to how these works are studied and taking into consideration the emotional maturity of students.

I’d like to thank everyone who contributed to this thread, whether they supported my viewpoint or were against it. I received great advice, offers for prayer, gentle correction, and (sometimes) not very gentle (at all!) correction.

All of it helped me to see this topic from all of the different angles. People who agreed gave me much needed support in doing what was right. People who disagreed helped me to see where my way of approaching the topic would actually work against what I was trying to do.

Thank you all, very much!

I think you are totally right Teek!!!

I would recommend “love and responsibility” by saint John Paul II…Certainly one of the best books I’ve read in my life [and I read about half a yard of books every year.] I’d guess the book had a fair contribution to getting Karol Woyjtila elected pope - and needless to say that is way above&beyond any literary prize!!..

Who ever reads “love and responsibility” is bulletproof against lasciviousness!!

Totally inappropriate. No one is required or should be required to read these sorts of books. They are mentally damaging and desensitize the reader. Understanding evil doesn’t require a book. Just turn on the TV: death, killing, death, killing, random shootings and on and on. There is no MUST in this. Parental rights trump school administrators, principals and teachers. And evil comes in different degrees and different forms. I’ve seen it.

I’ve worked in the media long enough to watch it gradually desensitize people of all ages, year after year. Ingesting poison does nothing to help a person comprehend it. Most people who shoot other people in the US know each other.

The way to combat today’s evils is to know how they start.

https://www.amazon.com/Marketing-Evil-Pseudo-Experts-Corruption-Disguised/dp/1942475217

Great way of putting it!!

There is a big difference between having these books in a school library and having them be required reading. In the first, the student has agency and can choose to stop reading if the book gets disturbing for them. That is not the case with the latter. Kids have varying maturity levels, and those books ARE considered classics. So. . . I think you will have much more support for your point of view if you focus on what is taught in the class and not what is in the school library.

I understand your being disturbed about the books that your daughter’s class is being assigned. I have another take on this. It appears that this teacher has an agenda in assigned books of this nature to ninth graders. If I were you I would look at the state or local syllabus for the class. What are they suppose to be reading? Are they learning about the genre of the novel? Are they suppose to be studying world literature, American lit, British lit or what? Are these books considered literature? If so, by whom? You could contact an English professor at a local college or even the librarian at your local public library, and ask if these books would be considered “literature.” School is the time to study the great works of culture, Western and others. Kids can read trash on their own. If a student doesn’t leave high school knowing the great works of American literature, for example, can they be considered educated. Do they study “The Red Badge of Courage,” or “Huckleberry Finn”? My husband is a retired foreign service officer, and even though I am a college graduate, I felt at a disadvantage because I could not discuss American literature with foreigners. I hadn’t read any since high school, and that wasn’t enough. When I was in my forties I took a course in American literature at our local state university. I wanted to be able to present myself as an educated person. Will the books that your daughter’s class being asked to read help them to do this. It is something to think about.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.