Help with Scruples and Confession?

Hello,

This is my first post here and I was wondering to see if anyone can help me with my spiritual dilemma.

I am very scrupulous to an insane degree. I worry about everything, to the point where I just stop praying because I think im doing it wrong. I can never pray mentally or out of a book out of fear of not doing it properly. I am especially scrupulous about confession and my sins.

I know very well the differences between Venial and Mortal sins very well, however I have doubts and confuse them all the time. I fear that a sin I know was venial COULD be mortal, so I confess it. I confess each and every sin I can think of, I go to confession every week, and every time is torture for my conscience. I worry I forgot something, or that I didn’t really commit a sin or that I am not sorry enough.

I am so worried it drives me crazy. Each time after confession I feel good for about an hour, and then doubts about it and things I may have forgotten creep into my mind again. I am lost and don’t know what to do. Right now, I am examining my conscience, and I have only 3 mortal sins, but over 10 venial sins. I literally go through a book with a list of sins and check them off. The Priest I confess to just says to confess whatever sins I want to, and doesn’t really help me with my scruples. What should I do in this regard?

If anyone could help me with this I would greatly appreciate it! What should I do?

You have more than scrupulosity in your religious beliefs. This must also extend to other aspects of your life. Ask your doctor for a referral to a psychologist who specializes in OCD. Your priest may also know a therapist who can help. He has seen this many times before.

I too struggle with scrupulosity, here are the ten commandments for the scrupulous.
mission.liguori.org/newsletters/pdf_archive/Ten_Commandments_for_the_Scrupulous_2013.pdf

Hello, ¸You should seek for professionnal help and help of a priest also.

hope19

You need to find a spiritual director and bring your concerns to him/her.

Read this:

mission.liguori.org/newsletters/scrupulosity.htm

I’m so sorry you are going through this. I am going through something similar and have been for three years–ever since I made my first confession in 7 years. That first confession was not easy, but I didn’t agonize over it the way I do now before all my confessions. Sometimes things get better, and then they get bad again. If you want to p.m. me you can. Maybe we can pray for each other.

Have been there before…spiritual direction really helped. PM me if you would like to talk. Remember that GOD’s LOVE is most important. Small words in a prayer are not.

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.