Help With Sex in Marriage!

Hey guys,

I’m a young 20 year old with a serious girlfriend. I know the Catholic Church is opposed to any type of birth control within marriage and I agree. I was just wondering, when exactly can one have sex in marriage then? Do you have to have 20 children? I’m confused. Are there any periods of the year where the woman is infertile? Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Jim

Pray to saint Maria to help you stay pure in all of your relationships.
nfpandmore.org/ This web site should answer all of your questions about the Churches teaching on avoiding pregnancy.

Natural Family Planning, that is, the observing of a woman's natural fertility cycle, is within moral means of regulating procreation...

See the link above posted by the previous poster... nfpandmore.com is a very good resource.

Also check out... amazon.com/Good-News-About-Sex-Marriage/dp/0867166193

Buy the book “Good News About Sex & Marriage” by Christopher West and enroll in an NFP class. If you can get the book first and read it, then the NFP course will make complete sense (in case the people running the NFP course do not explain everything well).

No you don’t have to have 20 kids, and you can have sex any time you want when married. If you have good reasons for avoiding, you can use NFP, which also helps when trying to conceive.

With NFP you only avoid a few days out of the month. We only avoided 6 days out of the entire month and never got pregnant when avoiding.

Most days out of the month a woman is infertile… she is only fertile when she ovulates. If you and your girlfriend learn her cycle, she will be able to know when she is infertile or not.

I would encourage your girlfriend to chart her cycle, even if the engagement/marriage isn’t in the immediate future. Knowing my cycle is such an empowering feeling. :slight_smile:

What do you call a man who practices Natural Family Planning?

Daddy! :smiley:

I have 8 children - I didn’t want the last 5 at the time (I was not Catholic).

But I would walk barefoot through moten lava for any one of them now. God knows what is good for us - much more than we do.

John Marie Philomena

[quote="ouioui, post:5, topic:183706"]

With NFP you only avoid a few days out of the month. We only avoided 6 days out of the entire month and never got pregnant when avoiding.

[/quote]

Whoa, that's efficient! We aren't nearly as lucky about having predictable leadups to peak day, but it still provides enough opportunities a month to live on, even in "avoidance" mode.

There was a time when the RCC encouraged the “Rhythym” method, whereby, the days were counted on a monthly calendar, were both were to abstain, until children were desired…and procreation was decided. It is easier today, really, due to Science. There are products just recently arrived to the market, which can positively show when an egg/ova/ovum is present…learn the specific ovulation cycle within the MONTHLY reprodutive system cycle.

vatican.va/holy_father/paul_vi/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-vi_enc_25071968_humanae-vitae_en.html

[quote="JohnMPhilomena, post:8, topic:183706"]
What do you call a man who practices Natural Family Planning?

Daddy! :D

I have 8 children - I didn't want the last 5 at the time (I was not Catholic).

[/quote]

Wow! Were you seriously practicing NFP when the last 5 conceptions occurred? Any idea what went "wrong?" (I know the pregnancies weren't "wrong," but they were obviously God's plan, not your plan!)

God Bless you and your wife:)

Times of YEAR !!! (Giggle) Bless your heart for remaining so innocent - you will truly be blessed for it!!! Us old fogey married folks actually get to have marital relations almost anytime we like - even if for serious reasons we need to abstain for a week or so through NFP. Get yourself the Christopher West book mentioned, and take the NFP classes BEFORE you’re married, and don’t worry so much about it - just to be your age and thinking about this shows how mature and faithful you are - God will show you the way!

Amen.

[quote="JimmyL31, post:1, topic:183706"]
Hey guys,

I'm a young 20 year old with a serious girlfriend. I know the Catholic Church is opposed to any type of birth control within marriage and I agree. I was just wondering, when exactly can one have sex in marriage then? Do you have to have 20 children? I'm confused. Are there any periods of the year where the woman is infertile? Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Jim

[/quote]

I second (or third) the Christopher West book for both of you to read. Also, if there are considerations of marriage in your futures, I would also recommend learning Natural Family Planning and both of you going to classes to learn about this.

Remain pure before your marriage, trust me when I tell you that it will GREATLY beneift you both should you choose to get married.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.