Help with these quotations ! Some are very strange

“The Pope is of so great dignity and so exalted that he is not a mere man, but as it were GOD, and the vicar of God… . The Pope is as it were GOD on earth.” — Lucius Ferraris, “Papa,” article 2 in his Prompta Bibliotheca (Handy Library), Volume 6, pages 26-29.

“The Pope is not only the representative of Jesus Christ, but he is Jesus Christ, Himself, hidden under the veil of human flesh.” — Catholic National, July 1895.

“The Pope and God are the same, so he has all power in Heaven and earth.” — Pope Pius V, quoted in Barclay, Chapter XXVII, p. 218, “Cities Petrus Bertanous.”

Hi Harmony,

Have you ever heard about going overboard? Well, these are cases of that. In their love of the pope and the papacy, these people let their enthusiasm get the better of them. It’s like the kid who says his mother is the most beautiful woman in all the world.

This has happened especially when the Papacy was under attack. For example, from 1870 to 1929, the pope considered himself a prisonner of the Italian government (which had taken over the papal estates and Rome) and never went out of the Vatican grounds.

The truth is that the pope has generally, and rightly, been called the Vicar of Christ because, as the successor of Peter, he inherits Peter’s prerogatives given to him by Jesus. What does “vicar” mean? It refers to to someone taking the place of a superior, when that person is absent. Jesus gave Peter the job of governing the Church while He is away. The pope continues in that job. When Jesus comes back, there will be no more popes.

Verbum

I guess it’s rather easy to dismiss the catholic newspaper comment, after all it’s not official.

But explaining to a protestant pope pius v’s comment is not easy. Why did Pope Pius V have to say “they are the same”

It’s explainable if he said all the power on heaven and earth, because then it’s referrable to scripture.

Not easy convincing protestants over these issue. Then again I have to read the original Latin I guess cause these could have been mistranslated in Pope Pius V’s case

Well, with the first quote, I would certainly like to see what was omitted (all the stuff that went where the ellipsis is). Likewise the surrounding text for quote two.

For the third quote, I would most certainly like to see the original text, because I can pretty much guarantee you that Pope Pius V didn’t say that in English (and I’d be willing to wager that he said nothing whatsoever in English). (And recall what the political situation was during his papacy–that sort of context also plays into the meaning of quotations.)

That’s what I was thinking too, I asked the protestant to show me the original source. I was looking for it all over the internet, the only references to it was protestant sites citing it as ‘heresy’

It would indeed be in Latin originally.

There is no Church teaching in any shape or form which states the Pope is God. Its an absolutely ludicrous statement which no rational person would believe.

Well I found something for the first quote:

aloha.net/~mikesch/1823-24.htm

Papa tantae est dignitatis et cesitudinis, ut non sit simplex homo, sed quasi Deus, et Dei vicarius.

The Pope is of so great dignity and so exalted that he is not mere man, but as it were God, and the vicar of God.

My latin isn’t that great, but ‘quasi’ means ‘almost’ I’m fairly sure. And so I wonder why they rendered it as "but as it were God"
Since ‘almost’ is short of infinity and infinity is incalculable, I guess there is nothing wrong with that statement, for he is above others on earth in authority and he does have powers to bind and loose.

So It’s just the Pope Pius V source now.

See the problem is they quoted Pope Pius V, but I can’t find any original source/language for that on the web. What I found were all protestant websites listing catholic ‘heresies’ - so I’m wondering if someone lied along the way and every other website decided to copy paste it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.