help with this prnouncement?

‘We recall that a dress cannot be called decent which is cut deeper than two fingers breadth under the pit of the throat, which does not cover the arms at least to the elbows, and scarcely reaches a bit beyond the knee. Furthermore, dresses of transparent material are improper. Let parents keep their daughters away from public gymnastic games and contests; but, if their daughters are compelled to attend such exhibitions, let them see to it that they are fully and modestly dressed. Let them never permit their daughters to don immodest garb.’

The Sacred Congregation of the Council (by the mandate of Pope Pius XI), January 12, 1930 A.D.

now what does one make of gymnastics, ballet, swimming and even figure skating after this kind of pronouncement?

never really thought there was anything immoral there because i thought people could distinguish that certain clothes are used for certain activities. but now i’m not so sure.

It’s not necessary to follow 1930 standards for clothing. Clothing appropriate for a particular function is not considered immodest when wearing it for that function e.g. ballet clothes for ballet classes and performances.

i thought so too but that does not appear to be what he is saying

WOW! Blast from the past. My mom always said three fingers under the collar bone was the rule for necklines…and since she was born in 1924, she was apparently pretty ahead of her time!LOL!! Either way, to this day, I am only comfortable with three- four fingers below the collar bone for a v-neck.
I don’t think that simply saying ‘oh well, that’s what competitive cheerleaders wear’, or ‘dancers dance provocatively these days…it is what it is’ is good enough. I mean, good grief, I caught a glimpse of Selena Gomez on a halftime show tonight and she easily had three inches of her behind hanging out of her ‘shorts’. Now, I’m pretty sure that Ginger Rodgers was able to dance without three inches of her rear end hanging out. I’m also pretty sure that singing does not require showing ANY body parts.:rolleyes:
Honestly, I think that most girls who are raised to be modest won’t gravitate toward activities which ‘require’ immodest outfits to participate. I also think that parents need to say ‘no’ once in a while to the people coordinating these activities, but that’s just me. :shrug:
Why do ballet dancers (men and women) have to wear such skin tight outfits? I, personally, find male ballet dancers outfits to be…well…immodest. I mean, I don’t need to be able to tell their ‘name, address AND phone number’ as my mom used to say (her euphemism for sharing too much personal information)
However, my daughter LOVES bling and doesn’t really ‘get’ modesty (she’s almost 11 and has Down syndrome) and she wanted to do competitive cheer to be around a bunch of pretty teenage girls. I found a way to have her cheer at local basketball and football games and wear much more modest apparel than competitive cheerleaders wear. So there is a way.
There is fairly modest dance/cheer apparel, and then there is immodest cheer/dance apparel. Do ‘times change’? Yes…does modesty? Not so much.

Just my thoughts…

i agree with this to some extent. i don’t think the activities i mentioned are impossible if people dressed a bit more modestly. on theother hand, i don’t really immodesty is on people’s minds when they design the costumes, i think it’s more about functionality and how to get the best possible quality performance.

This was never a binding statement :shrug:

People must use their best judgement, then and now…

times have changed. i thik we are much more desensitized to this kind of thing that our past ancestors.

i sometimes wish god has just prescribed a dress code. would make life a lot easier… lol

Why are you starting so many threads about what clothes we are allowed to wear?

That’s why I am wondering…OP- are you confused about your role as a woman and a Catholic in today’s world? Pulling “suggestions” from yesteryear (and not by the Magisterium, by the way) will only confuse you more. Or, did someone tell you the Church was misogynistic, so you went to prove them “right” by the topics you keep posting on here?
There is a wealth of opinions and information right here on CAF in the archives…this very quote you pulled from early last century was discussed a few months back and shown that it was simply an opinion with some guidelines for those who wanted to follow what he suggested…and it was not from the Magisterium, either.
As far as your comment on what to wear,You do not need to look any further than this sign for what our Magisterium thinks is okay to wear and keep in mind, this is for Church, any sporting or swimming event will obviously call for appropriate swim or sporting wear:

forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=9025288&postcount=91

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.