Help with understanding if I have received absolution

I wonder if anyone can help, if during confession the priest doesn’t fully understand your sin and you tell him it again and he says “Hmm, I don’t know…hmm… I don’t fully understand the sin…” and then moves onto talking about how to amend your life. Has that sin been absolved even though the Priest said he didn’t fully understand it and then gave absolution?

Also if I remember a sin after saying “these are my sins and I am sorry for all my sins” and the Priest starts talking should I have interrupted and mentioned the sins I forgot, if I didn’t does this mean absolution didn’t take place?

Sorry, I struggle a great deal with being overly scrupulous and these sorts of worries really weigh heavy on my conscience.

If the priest accepts your confession and gives you absolution then all your sins are forgiven.

Of course you have been absolved, peace be with you.

Please find an experienced confessor to discuss your scrupulosity with. If the priest “doesn’t understand the sin,” it probably means that one is confessing things that are not sins.

Confession at its essence is between you and God - the priest is more the vehicle. If you were to, for example, deliberately withhold a mortal sin in confession, the priest might be unaware and say the words of absolution but you cannot fool God so you would not be forgiven.

Likewise, in your case, if through no fault of yours the priest doesn’t understand what you are saying, God does and that is the main thing. So yes you were forgiven.

Don’t say - that the Priest - that your confessing to -
doesn’t understand fully - your sin.
The Priest - is the strongest representative of Christ - we have -
of Christ on Earth.
You have to take a very serious look at your self doubt -
And - your doubting - the power of confession. Etc.

Yes. If you confessed it/explained as best as you could, and he doesn’t understand it, and gives you absolution, then it is valid.

It’s his responsibility to ask further questions of clarification, and not just let it go.

If our Lord did not want to forgive you at that instance, then you would not have heard the words of absolution from the priest’s lips.

If you struggle with scrupulosity, it’d be helpful for you to keep going back to the same confessor so that he is better able to assist you .

Most people on the internet are not equipped to deal with scrupulosity. Asking them questions which should be directed to your priest is inviting you to go further into your struggle. As none of us were in the confessional with you, we have no way of answering your question except with general guidelines; and from your comment, it appears that you may have told the priest something which is not a sin. You need to speak with him, either in the confessional or face to face, and follow what advice he gives you. If you have not told him yo suffer with scrupulosity, you need to do so. And if you have a question concerning your confession - this one, or one in the future, you need to take it up with him.

As your struggle may result in long times in the confessional and there may well be others who need to confess, a good recommendation is that you set a different time ti meet with him for your confession. He should be equipped to help you, and if he is not, he should be able to guide you to someone who does.

God bless. You have a difficult burden to carry. Your priest can help.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.