HELP!!!!

I was told something I found quite bizzare in RCIA today it was told to me by our RCIA Director and others that in the very early days of The Church when people had Mass in their homes there were actually women who were priests and it was in the early 2nd century that this was changed and that it isn’t per se a Infallible decsion and that one day we may have it again (though that’s not likely to happen anytime soon) Is any of this true or have I been lie to?

This is not true. Unfortunately I can’t substantiate that with any links or solid knowledge, but I suspect your instructor may have been misled by the gnostic gospels.

Masses WERE performed in people’s homes because there were not churches, but it was always MEN in charge.

There were indeed no formal Church buildings in those days, especially during times when the Church was being subjected to severe persecution by the Roman emperors. So, it is but natural that people prayed and worshipped inside private homes, which were called “house-churches”.

However, the statement about women having served as “priests” in the early Church is historically questionable, and I seriously doubt your instructor can prove this statement.

Gerry :slight_smile:

[quote=starrs0] there were actually women who were priests and it was in the early 2nd century that this was changed and that it isn’t per se a Infallible decsion and that one day we may have it again (though that’s not likely to happen anytime soon) Is any of this true or have I been lie to?
[/quote]

Whomever gave you that information should run not walk to the nearest airport, fly to Rome and tell the Pope. He certainly will be surprised to hear it.

** Ok I read Pope John Paul II 1994 Apostolic Letter ORDINATIO SACERDOTALIS So now that I know I’ve been straight up lied to what should I do now should I call my Director out on her missconceptions or should I just leave it be?**

starrs0 asks:

[size=4]Ok I read Pope John Paul II 1994 Apostolic Letter ORDINATIO SACERDOTALIS So now that I know I’ve been straight up lied to what should I do now should I call my Director out on her missconceptions or should I just leave it be?

[/size]

Here is what I would do, personally:

If your director is a lay person, I would ask the pastor of the church, or at least a priest. If you get the same answer, find another [Catholic] church. If he corrects the situatiuon (as is more likely), then bring it up to the director in private, and hope he/she corrects this in class. If not, feel free to share the Priest’s answer privately with the other students.

If the director is a priest (or deacon), go up the ladder (to the pastor). repeat above from “If you get the same answer,…”, on.

Mark Wyatt**

i wish i had a nickel every time that rumor made it’s way around…

ask your priest, or check with your local chancery, they will put your mind to rest on the issue…

Has your RCIA person been reading “The DaVinci Code” or Elaine Pagels’ books on the gnostic ?

Sounds like it to me.

I swear I am putting this on my signature line one of these days. . .

“A little learning is a dangerous thing” . . .Alexander Pope.

[quote=starrs0]Is any of this true or have I been lied to?
[/quote]

Well there were women Deaconesses. But all they did was help women be Baptized. (Modesty)
And they probably did evangelize as well. But they were never Bishops(Priests) in the sense of consecrating the Eucharist.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.