Help!

I am a very distressed Protestant. I have fought a battle with impurity for about 7 years now and I was recently re-baptized, which I’m uneasy about. I feel abandoned, is their any information or encouragement anyone can pass?

Oh how easy it is to feel abandoned during times of personal crisis!! I’ve been there, and it’s no fun. The only thing that helped was to remind myself that God knows about my suffering, and has a “greater good” for me going through it. And, yes, we have to go through it. There’s no going around it.

Remember, though, there are others who are willing to give a helping hand. Without other christians, we wouldn’t last. At least, I know I wouldn’t. Sometimes just at the right moment to keep me from going under. I’m not sure I have the words right now. But I know someone does. And I pray that they give you that.

Remember, on the cross, Christ cried out, “My God, why have you abandoned me?” But was He abandoned? I remember being told, many years ago (when I was a protestant I believe) that God the Father, who couldn’t stand to look at sin, turned His back on Christ at that moment in order to have our sins wiped away. All sins were, at that moment, laid on Christ. The burden of that must have been horrible.

You are not alone. I will be praying that you find the help you need from the proper source.

Not that I mean to help you rationalize here, but take some comfort in that sins of the flesh (lust) are less damaging than sins of the soul (pride). And take comfort again in that you recognize your personal struggle, and that recognizing it is the largest step in overcoming it. Something personal that helps me tame impurity is saying the Rosary. I don’t know if there is a Protestant equivalent, but something about asking the Virgin for help to remain pure always gives me comfort. Maybe you could create your own rosary-type prayer with prayers you feel comfortable with, if you feel uncomfortable with the Hail Mary (maybe Our Father, St. Michael’s prayer etc.). It would work in two ways, 1) you are praying for help, so you will receive it and 2) the repetition of prayers takes your mind off impure thoughts.

Good luck, you are in my prayers.

Thank you both for the encouragement. Would you possibly teach me a few of those prayers?

Holy MIchael, the archangel defend us in the day of battle; be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him we humbly pray; and may the prince of the hevenly host, by the power of God thrust down to hell Satan and all wicked spirits, who wander through the world for the ruin of souls. Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb. Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now, and at the hour of our death. Amen

Another good one is:

I confess to almighty God, and to you, my brothers and sisters, that I have sinned through my own fault in my thoughts and in my words, in what I have done, and in what I have failed to do; and I ask blessed Mary, ever virgin, all the angels and saints, and you, my brothers and sisters, to pray for me o the Lord our God.

There are others, but I think this will get you started. :wink:

Another one I like is :

Hail Holy Queen, Mother of Mercy
Our light, our sweetness and our hope
To You do we cry, poor banished children of Eve
To You do we send up our sighs,
Mourning and weeping in this valley of tears.
Turn, then, most gracious advocate,
Thy nighs of mercy towards us,
And after this, our exile,
Show unto us the blessed fruit of thy womb Jesus
Oh clement, oh loving, oh sweet Virgin Mary
Pray for us, oh Holy Mother of God,
That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ

You are probably familiar with the doctrine of guardian angels. God in his wonder and wisdom gave each soul a guardian angel to protect us from conception to death and entrance to heaven. Angels guard over you at all times. You should ask your guardian angel for help when you are faced with temptation. Here is a short prayer that you can remember-

“Angel of God, my Guardian dear, To whom His love commits me here, Ever this day be at my side, To light and guard, to rule and guide. Amen.”

That would be “Our life, our sweetness and our hope.”

Hahaha, I’ve only ever heard it said by my grandfather who has an accent. Mistakes are made easily…:stuck_out_tongue:

As one who has been both catholic and protestant (sometimes both at the same time:shrug:) I have been struggling with purity for about 40 years! All I can say is HANG IN THERE AND JUST DO YOUR BEST!

:wink:

Hey, everyone. Just thought that I would say thank you for all of the encouragement. I’ve really made strides for purity by sitting down and getting back to the basics of faith. Faith in our God can destroy the biggest of problems! Thank all of you again!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.