Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All, I had a debate with a semi-liberal priest who seems to love the hymn “On Eagle’s Wings.” I dislike the hymn, being that together with amazing grace it is a favorite of dissenting catholics. Can ALL OF YOU PLEASE TELL ME THE ORIGIN OF THAT HYMN, AND IS THE GUY WHO WROTE IT CATHOLIC? Also, what year was it written?
Thank you all.:wink:

The song was written by Michael Joncas. Here is what I found on the OCP website:

Michael Joncas is a liturgical composer, author, speaker, and professor who is perhaps best known for his song “On Eagle’s Wings.” Ordained a Roman Catholic presbyter in 1980, he has studied in Rome and held positions as associate pastor, campus minister, and director of education. He is currently assistant professor in the Department of Theology at the University of St. Thomas, St. Paul, Minnesota.

I couldn’t find what year it was written. I hope this helps.

[quote=Michael Welter]The song was written by Michael Joncas. Here is what I found on the OCP website:

I couldn’t find what year it was written. I hope this helps.
[/quote]

Thanks

Hello my Dear Friend,

I was going to tell you that I was sure it was written by a Catholic and I think the first time I heard it was in the 1970s. However, I believe someone told me a Priest wrote it to be sung for the Holy Father when he visited Los Angeles. I do not know if it is true or not.

I have always thought the song was very beautiful but then, music is a very personal thing, don’t you think?

I happen to love Black Gospel music and Country Western. Some of my family members cannot stomach Country. I also love Irish tenors but my hubby favors Italian tenors. He loves Dixieland and Jazz and I want to run when I hear Jazz.

I could go on and on but you know what I mean.

What songs do you like, Miseri?

The appearance of “On Eagle’s Wings” in 1978 coincided with his MA in liturgy from Notre Dame, an academic pursuit that has since taken him to the Pontifical Liturgical Institute of the Pontifical Athenaeum, San Anselmo in Rome. During that interim, he was ordained in 1980 as a priest for the archdiocese of St. Paul/Minneapolis.

giamusic.com/artists/Joncas-Michael.cfm

On Eagles Wings is the song version of Ps 91. I found the following about the author on the web:

Michael Joncas is a composer, author, speaker and professor. He has a bachelor’s degree in English as well as a master’s degree and a doctorate in Sacred Liturgy. Michael was ordained a Roman Catholic presbyter in 1980. He has studied in Rome and held positions as Associate Pastor, Campus Minister and Director of Education. He is currently assistant Professor in the Department of Theology at the University of St. Thomas, St. Paul, Minnesota. Michael is perhaps best known for On Eagle’s Wings, one of the most-sung songs in Catholic churches around the world for the past 20 years. This and Michael’s many other liturgical compositions illustrate his strong grounding in the Scripture and his understanding of music, ritual prayer.

I also found the he is still a prof at St Thomas, a Catholic Univ. He is ordered to serve there by the Archdiocese of St. Paul. I don’t know anything else about him: if he is orthodox or ??

Ps 91 is one of my favorite.

[quote=CatholicCid]giamusic.com/artists/Joncas-Michael.cfm
[/quote]

This has been very helpful all. Thanks, I had NO IDEA this priest actually was (is he still???) part of a PONTIFICAL COMMISION ON CHURCH MUSIC AND IS ROME EDUCATED. I thought it was a kumbayah type, and written by a NON Catholicm seriously: thanks for opening my eyes/ears.

[quote=misericordie]This has been very helpful all. Thanks, I had NO IDEA this priest actually was (is he still???) part of a PONTIFICAL COMMISION ON CHURCH MUSIC AND IS ROME EDUCATED. I thought it was a kumbayah type, and written by a NON Catholicm seriously: thanks for opening my eyes/ears.
[/quote]

Don’t fret, Misericordie. It’s still a ghastly song. Most of Father Joncas’ stuff is, may God bless him. An ugly statue of Our Lord or Lady is still an ugly statue. Same with music. Of course, personal taste is personal taste. “Amazing Grace,” for example, isn’t so bad, IMHO. Of course, you cannot beat the old Catholic stuff (Adoramus Te, Christe, and O Salutoris Hostia and Salve Regina).

[quote=JKirkLVNV]Don’t fret, Misericordie. It’s still a ghastly song.
[/quote]

:amen: :tiphat:

Oh dear!

I guess at almost 69 yrs old, I am really out of step with many Catholics.

I do not know how anyone could describe a Christian song like this as ghastly. Is this meant to be an over statement? To me, ghastly is something crawling with maggots.

I do believe you meant it as an exageration. I am trying to think of any sort of music, I might describe as ghastly. Some I would call disgusting but that is violent or sexual rap. I have never heard a Christian song I would describe that way.

Sorry I was no help to you this time, misericordie. Keeping you in my prayers.

[quote=JKirkLVNV] An ugly statue of Our Lord or Lady is still an ugly statue. Same with music…
[/quote]

Amen!
When a song makes one cringe, it isn’t quite what the composer intended.
Coming to my new, very traditional parish, I have to say that when “Bring Flowers of the Rarest” was played for May Crowning, I cried.

Why can’t we have a balance? Why is it always music written in the 70’s and later?

[quote=netmilsmom]Amen!
When a song makes one cringe, it isn’t quite what the composer intended.
Coming to my new, very traditional parish, I have to say that when “Bring Flowers of the Rarest” was played for May Crowning, I cried.

Why can’t we have a balance? Why is it always music written in the 70’s and later?
[/quote]

AMEN!!

[quote=JKirkLVNV]Don’t fret, Misericordie. It’s still a ghastly song. Most of Father Joncas’ stuff is, may God bless him. An ugly statue of Our Lord or Lady is still an ugly statue. Same with music. Of course, personal taste is personal taste. “Amazing Grace,” for example, isn’t so bad, IMHO. Of course, you cannot beat the old Catholic stuff (Adoramus Te, Christe, and O Salutoris Hostia and Salve Regina).
[/quote]

Who said these latter ones are “old catholic stuff”? These such as Pange Lingua, Tantum Ergo(in LATIN) Panis Angelicum, O’ Salutaris Hostia" “O’ Sacred Head sorrounded”, “These Three Kings” “Jesus my Life, my Lord, My All” at least are all artistic and CATHOLIC!
Anyone have more information on the priest who wrote “On Eagle’s Wings”? Is he a left wing liberal? Is he orthodox? Is he “Moderate”? Is he a DISSENTING CATHOLIC??? IS HE FROM THE HIPPIE KUMBAYAH ERA"??? TYPE? PLEASE LET ME KNOW I AM TRYING TO GATHER AS MUCH RESEARCH AS POSSIBLE ON THIS ONE. AS PER I WANT TO DEBATE A LEFT WING PRIEST I KNOW (ARROGANT SO RARELY LETS OTHERS TALK ANYWAY BUT I WILL TRY) WHO LOVES THIS, ALTAR GIRLS, AND ALL THAT WAS WRONG WITH THE CHURCH OF THE 1970’S AND THE FORMATION THESE GUYS GOT IN THE 1980’S(MUCH THE SAME FORMATION OF THE 1970’S).

Beautiful praise and worship music should be enjoyed by all. I could care less if a piece of music is written by a non-Cathholic or by a
Catholic bishop. If it is truly helpful in praising our God, then let us all sing out. “On Eagles wings” is beautiful to my ears even though nothing compares to “Ave Maria”. “Amazing Grace” is also a hymn worthy of our voices. So, to each his/her own.

Love and peace,

Mom

[quote=Mom of 5]Beautiful praise and worship music should be enjoyed by all. I could care less if a piece of music is written by a non-Cathholic or by a
Catholic bishop. If it is truly helpful in praising our God, then let us all sing out. “On Eagles wings” is beautiful to my ears even though nothing compares to “Ave Maria”. “Amazing Grace” is also a hymn worthy of our voices. So, to each his/her own.

Love and peace,

Mom
[/quote]

Way to go! I love this song too! I love ALL Christian music…Augustine says when we sing we pray twice…so make a joyful noise unto the LORD! Praise Him with song…

Misericordie: Try these links:

board.uscho.com/archive/index.php/t-43706.html

catholicshopper.com/products/michael_joncas.html

Though I’m not sure what any of this will prove. I mean, “A Mighty Fortress is Our God” is now in Catholic hymnals and Martin Luther wrote that!

[quote=misericordie]Who said these latter ones are “old catholic stuff”? These such as Pange Lingua, Tantum Ergo(in LATIN) Panis Angelicum, O’ Salutaris Hostia" “O’ Sacred Head sorrounded”, “These Three Kings” “Jesus my Life, my Lord, My All” at least are all artistic and CATHOLIC!
Anyone have more information on the priest who wrote “On Eagle’s Wings”? Is he a left wing liberal? Is he orthodox? Is he “Moderate”? Is he a DISSENTING CATHOLIC??? IS HE FROM THE HIPPIE KUMBAYAH ERA"??? TYPE? PLEASE LET ME KNOW I AM TRYING TO GATHER AS MUCH RESEARCH AS POSSIBLE ON THIS ONE. AS PER I WANT TO DEBATE A LEFT WING PRIEST I KNOW (ARROGANT SO RARELY LETS OTHERS TALK ANYWAY BUT I WILL TRY) WHO LOVES THIS, ALTAR GIRLS, AND ALL THAT WAS WRONG WITH THE CHURCH OF THE 1970’S AND THE FORMATION THESE GUYS GOT IN THE 1980’S(MUCH THE SAME FORMATION OF THE 1970’S).
[/quote]

“O Sacred Head.” Absolutely beautiful.

I can’t imagine it either… I think he had to have meant it as an exaggeration.

I don’t mind “On Eagles Wings”, but don’t enjoy it in the Mass itself. The guitar drives me bonkers in a Sacred setting, but at home I really like it. To each his own, I guess, but music is going to be addressed seriously according to Zenit (yesterday.) :slight_smile:

Code: ZE05072203

Date: 2005-07-22

Synod Might Reconsider Liturgical Music

Working Paper Suggests Return to More Prayerful Hymns

VATICAN CITY, JULY 22, 2005 (Zenit.org).- The working paper of the next Synod of Bishops suggests that “songs used at present” in the liturgy should “be reconsidered.”

The proposal appears in No. 60 of the working document for the assembly of bishops from all over the world, which will be held Oct. 2-23 in Rome, on the theme “The Eucharist: Source and Summit of the Life and Mission of the Church.”

Based on responses from dioceses, religious and the laity to a questionnaire, the text acknowledges in No. 61 that “to enter into sacred or religious usage, instrumental or vocal music is to have a sense of prayer, dignity and beauty.”

In the liturgy, music must have “integrity of form, expressing true artistry, corresponding to the various rites and capable of adaptation to the legitimate demands of inculturation, … without detracting from the idea of universality,” the document states.

The working paper, published July 7, outlines the topics that the bishops will discuss during the assembly.

In connection with the question of liturgical singing, the paper states that “musicians and poets should be encouraged to compose new hymns, according to liturgical standards, which contain authentic catechetical teaching on the paschal mystery, Sunday and the Eucharist.”

Gregorian chant

In particular, the document suggests the rediscovery of Gregorian chant, as it “fulfills these needs” and, therefore, can “serve as a model,” quoting Pope John Paul II.

In No. 61, the text states that in the responses to the questionnaire with which they concluded the synod’s first preparatory text, “some lamented the poor quality of translations of liturgical texts and many musical texts in current languages, maintaining that they lacked beauty and were sometimes theologically unclear, thereby contributing to a weakening of Church teaching and to a misunderstanding of prayer.”

The paper refers in particular to youth Masses, stressing the need “to avoid musical forms which, because of their profane use, are not conducive to prayer.”

“Some responses,” it adds, “note a certain eagerness in composing new songs, to the point of almost yielding to a consumer mentality, showing little concern for the quality of the music and text, and easily overlooking the artistic patrimony which has been theologically and musically effective in the Church’s liturgy.”

[quote=misericordie]All, I had a debate with a semi-liberal priest who seems to love the hymn “On Eagle’s Wings.” I dislike the hymn, being that together with amazing grace it is a favorite of dissenting catholics. Can ALL OF YOU PLEASE TELL ME THE ORIGIN OF THAT HYMN, AND IS THE GUY WHO WROTE IT CATHOLIC? Also, what year was it written?
Thank you all.:wink:
[/quote]

This song is Psalm 91 put to music…Now what could be wrong with that? And yes, as others have said MJ is very much a Catholic. Lots of people who are definitely NOT dissenting Catholics like this song…Good Grief…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.