HELP!!!!

Recently, I’ve been getting really addicted to hanging out with this girl I secretly have a crush on in college (always for studying or working out together or things like that), to the point of getting annoying in my opinion. Now, this isn’t how I am! Ive never been so addicted to hanging out with anyone like this. Its to the point where all I think about is the next time I’ll get to see her again. Im not into facebook or stuff like that so the only time I get to see her is when were on campus together. I hate being this way. I’m not at peace because I always want to be with her and if I see her talking with other guys, I get a little silent streak of jealousy. Again, this is not like me. I don’t know what to do. Its stressful being this way and I don’t want to ruin our friendship (I’d actually be happy if we just stayed friends without me being the way I am right now). I’m not all creeper, but its just causing me stress because I always want to be with her…What are some tips to detach myself from her and just accept that we should be friends? The common-sense side of me does not want a girlfriend right now and I agree, but my emotions always get the best of me. I feel like she’s starting to take the place of God, who I’ll admit I dont have a strong relationship with to begin with…How do I take control of my emotions and get these feelings under control and fall in love with God?? HELP!!

Praying to the Holy Spirit to give you guidance & direction.

I don’t think that there is any healthy young man out there who has not faced infatuation head on especially on campus. Don’t think young girls are immune either. Don’t you know that for a substantive part of their adolescent lives, all they talk about is boys. This natural hormonal response normally hits girls a little younger then blokes, but when it hits either gender- what a blast!
Recognise it for what it is. Don’t confuse it with your spirituality. Don’t let it make you a creep. Always respect your friend’s dignity and privacy. You never know, she might find your attentiveness attractive. If you both enjoy your friendship it is great to have fun in a group.

Whatever you do don’t let daydreaming affect your real purpose of your education. Aim always for grades above the average. It is the only way to ensure future employment.
Remember, average is poor.
Remember, it will pass. But enjoy it recognising it as a natural part of growing up. God Bless

Maybe I’m looking at this from another angle. Having a girlfriend and having a spiritual life are not mutually exclusive, unless, of course, you are a member of the clergy. Why don’t you just ask her out and see what happens? Perhaps you are starting to love this young lady. Would you want to throw it all away? I say, say a prayer and take a chance. :slight_smile:

I can sympathize with you. I was head-over-heels in love with this girl during high school. It lasted 2 years, and it was hell. However, I was astray in that period when it came to my Faith, so I didn’t have any scruples about how it affected my relationship with God.

At the moment, I have a crush on this girl I met a few weeks ago, and I’m now a devout Catholic. I just pray every day for God to guide me, and I try not to worry too much (although it’s not easy).

Having gone through what you have a few years ago, what I can suggest is this: DO NOT be too clingy. Girls don’t like it and she will get bored of you soon. Just try to be a bit more distant and give her some breathing space. Let her know you care about her and try to let her live her life.

Remember - “love is never jealous” (from the Bible). If you truly love her, let her live her life and support her. She will then come to realize how much you value her, and will hopefully accept to go out on a date with you :slight_smile:

God bless, and hope this helps

buzzle.com/articles/causes-of-infatuation.html

boldsky.com/relationship/love-and-romance/2011/get-over-deal-with-infatuation-080911.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.