Help

Hi everyone! I desperately need help. Early in the summer this year, I was exposed to some Protestant websites and ever since it been paranoid. I’m terrified of hell and of God. I feel like he is so harsh sometimes. I know I am a sinner but I just want to be Gods friend. Anyway, especially after the death of my beloved kitten a few weeks ago, my relationship with the lord has been strained. Because of articles I’ve read, I’m scared for my family, who are all devout Roman Catholics. I’m Afraid of taking the wrong path and burning in hell for it. I’m very lost and stressed right now. I have always hoped that my beloved kitty is in heaven right now. And I’m confused because of things like the incorruptible bodies and things of that nature but also the fact that God seemingly talks to people of all denominations. Please help. All jokes aside I’m losing my mind. I’m scared that God won’t have mercy on me and I’m scared I don’t love him enough. Please help.

First, lets take a chill pill here. That being said I just said a prayer for you.

If the protestant websites bothered you that much I would say you need to start studying a bit more about your Catholic faith. I would recommend you stay away from those websites until you are more knowledgeable in the Catholic faith. Many of those sites bash what they think the Catholic church teaches, instead of what she truly teaches. You’ve come to a good place. If you have questions just keep starting new threads, you will get some great answers. I would also recommend you start listening to the Catholic Answers Live show. You will get some great answers to any questions you might have. I listen to the podcasts on my phone everyday. You can also get an Ap for your phone to listen to old episodes. I love to listen to the “open forum for non-Catholics” shows from the past, always a great show.

God Bless and keep studying the Faith. You will be fine, God is not harsh he is loving and just. He does not expect us to be perfect and know everything, but it does please him to see us strive for perfection.

God Bless.

May the Faith be with you. :thumbsup:

PS Here is a link to a thread I started about an angry wrathful God. There are a lot of great responses and dialogue here that shows God isn’t a bloodthirsty tyrant.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=1019004

First step is to ditch the protestant websites, now and forever. Jesus started one Church, yours, the Catholic Church; you don’t need to look anywhere else for answers. The next thing to do is learn more about the Church; try reading “The Diary of Sister Faustina” to get a good idea about the mercy of God and “The Catechism of the Catholic Church” will help strengthen your faith. God speaks to us in different ways, if what someone is saying is in conflict with what the Church says about it, then ignore it; only the Catholic Church is the authority in such things. I am very sorry for the loss of your little cat. God love’s and takes care of all His creatures, in life and in death.

The sites you encountered may call themselves Protestant (some won’t even do that…) but what they really are is anti-Catholic propaganda sites whose sole purpose is to do to Catholics what you have been experiencing. Their object is to mess up your faith.

However, if you can give us examples of their allegations I can assure you that we can refute their stuff and begin (with the help of the Holy Spirit) to set your feet on solid ground so that such rubbish doesn’t faze you from now on. That’s one of the reasons that this site exists.

(Note people: This is a very good example of why we need to be giving to CAF’s current fund raiser. Where would this kid be without CAF?)

So tell us what the bad guys said and then hang on because you’re going to be pretty amazed when you see the Catholic Answers that you get. Welcome aboard Potato! :thumbsup:

Meanwhile, I suggest that you read this.

In every Mass we hear the words of Jesus, “my peace is my gift to you.” That is what the Lord wants for us - to be at peace in him. This God of harshness is not our Lord; it is a fabrication of these people on the sites you’ve been visiting fully intending to cause fear for the sake of compliance with their misguided (and often malicious) views.

The others above have offered good advice, but spend some time in prayer; avoid these hateful publications; and consult with people who understand the peace and joy of loving the Lord and knowing his mercy. I’ll be praying for you.

As a person who is always in the same spot as you, I’ll tell what a priest told me during my last confession: " Anything that says or promotes teachings other than God is Mercy is not a Christian teaching, whether Catholic or Protestant or otherwise", God is Mercy, and he told me earlier that the Catholic Church used such teachings during the middle aged in order to keep people in line, but Jesus said that we are now sons not slaves, only God knows your intentions and He will judge you accordingly, forget those modern day Pharisees that took religion to the letter and neglected it’s main purpose, Justice and Mercy.

Hi!
…first… slowdown… be like your screen name; be a spud–there’s no racing and jumping to and fro! :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

…now that that’s over… most non-Catholics (specially the hardcore zealots) believe that it is their jobs to scare the bejesus into Catholics (who, by their denominational decrees, are signed, sealed, and ready to be delivered to hell); sadly, they do Jesus and themselves dishonor and injustice–but I digress… fear of hell is not Salvation–neither is “claiming” Jesus:

30 Therefore will I judge every man according to his ways, O house of Israel, saith the Lord God. Be converted, and do penance for all your iniquities: and iniquity shall not be your ruin. 31 Cast away from you all your transgressions, by which you have transgressed, and make to yourselves a new heart, and a new spirit: and why will you die, O house of Israel? 32 [size=]For I desire not the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord God, return ye and live[/size]. (Ezekiel 18)

21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does **[size=]the will of my Father **[/size]who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’ (St. Matthew 7)

While it is true that having “Catholic” as an umbrella will not save a single person, condemning Catholics because they are Catholics is usurping God’s Authority–we all know what happened to those who sought to usurp God’s Authority:

41 “Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. (St. Matthew 25)

…as Jesus stated, and St. John Paul II echoed: “Be not afraid!”

Be not afraid for yourself and your loved ones! How? Simple: Live your Faith. Salvation will not come to anyone from fearing hell–that’s as empty as “believing” in case there’s a God.

Live your Faith and Jesus will lift you up.

Live your Faith and you and your household will be Saved!:

31 They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household.” 32 Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all the others in his house. 33 At that hour of the night the jailer took them and washed their wounds; then immediately he and all his household were baptized. 34 The jailer brought them into his house and set a meal before them; he was filled with joy because he had come to believe in God—he and his whole household. (Acts 16)

The Church is the Mystical Body of Christ and there’s no Salvation outside of Christ. Men come and go, live and die, only Christ remains–as does the Church Founded by Him, in Cephas!

Maran atha!

Angel

These protestant websites are scattered all over, as are YouTube channels like them. It seems like anytime something Catholic comes up, there are protestants, viz., Southern Baptists and non-denominationals, condemning us to hell to rot for being filthy Catholics. I can 99.999% guarantee that anything you find on those websites will already have been answered on this website. If it is that 1/100,000 chance, just ask like you have here. You’ve come to the right place. Have peace.

OP, they mean well but they are usually extremely ignorant. You have nothing to worry about, God knows all things and knows your heart.:slight_smile:

I’d avoid the polemic, anti-Catholic sites for now and stick with CAF, at least until you fine tune your apologetics skills.

But if you do decide to post over there, don’t just accept whatever they tell you. Please come here if you are stumped and let us help you out.

Praying God gives you peace.

All of you thank you so much. I sounded quite ridiculous going on about my personal life there. I’m still a bit shaken but thank you so much for the support. I’m still trying to figure out how to get my head around Isaiah 8:19 (we pray to the saints). Aside from that I’m feeling better. Thank you all so much. May the lord bless you all abundantly.

That is very true haha. Titles like PROOF that the Catholic Church is satanic. I have seen some of those and it gets me a bit worried sometimes. Thanks for the help!

Thanks! I’m blessed to have your support!

Thank you!

Thanks so much! May God bless you many times!

Thank you for the support!

Thanks for the support. Will certainly check out that thread.

Absolutely! In general, there are allegations of things like praying to the saints and Mary, the very few “bad” popes in history, I hear all too often that the Catholic Church is satanic in some way?! Which is a bit strange. The only thing that really fazes me is Isaiah 8:19. The dead cannot do anything. Maybe you can clear some of this up considering you seem to have more knowlage than I do. Thanks for the help! God bless!

For the past 499 years, protestants have been arguing and dividing with each other. Just fact. They developed a catch phrase

In Essentials Unity, In Non-Essentials Liberty, In All Things Charity

to help them deal with the rampant division, but those are empty words - the birth of relativism. Notice that even though protestant websites all disagree with each other - sometimes on the big issues - they unanimously agree on only one thing: the Catholic Church is wrong. Not just wrong, but evil. Filled with pagans and demons and man-made everything. In some cases, the hatred drips from their very beings. They cannot be at peace as long as they protest.

As to Catholicism, what about exorcist priests? They cannot cast demons out by the power of evil - only God’s power can do that. A house divided cannot stand, yet the Catholic Church is the only one that has always stood, and always will.

You have the Sacraments (confession!!!) and God does not make entering the Kingdom impossible, or even all that difficult.

HEY! We are in the year of mercy.

Mercy.

You would not be alive if not for God’s mercy. You are breathing because of God’s mercy. You have a Savior because of God’s mercy. God’s mercy is even more powerful than protestant websites. :wink:

Stay away from those sites like the plague they are. Pray for them! Did you see any love there, or only judgment, hate and condemnation? That alone tells you which spirit motivates them. That alone must tell you that you are in the true Church.

Peace out.

Thanks! I have some piece of mind now.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.