Helping people

Hi,
I love helping I can in anyway, which is why I have decided to go into school counseling. I also volunteer at a Catholic pregnancy center. But, sometimes I feel like I could be doing sooooo much more to help people, and I don’t know what I could do. Can any of you help give me some ideas???

A few ways to help others:

1 - Prayer (which should be at the top of any list)

2 - You could volunteer at your local homeless shelter. I do this every other weekend (serving meals). Even though what I do isn’t a lot, it’s something and every little bit helps.

3 - You could get involved in your local Big Brother/Big Sister program. Click here. At the top of the page enter your zip code to find your local affiliate.

4 - You could volunteer for Meals on Wheels (they deliver meals to senior citizens who are either shut-in’s or can’t afford meals on their own). I’m not sure how old you are, you might not be old enough to drive yet - if not, I’m sure they could always use volunteers to help get the food ready for the drivers. Click here to find out more or click here to apply.

5 - Small act of kindness example: the other day I was at the grocery store and I saw a little old lady who looked completely lost (the grocery store I always go to recently remodeled and all the items are in different places now). I asked her if she needed help finding something, she looked so relieved that someone asked. It turned out that she couldn’t find the Splenda. I knew that it was on isle 5 and could’ve easily just said, “Isle 5”, but I walked there with her, made sure she found what she needed and I ended up shopping with her until we got to the bottom of her list. It was one less stress for her and it made me feel good.

6 - You could volunteer for Habitat for Humanities. Click here for more information.

7 - You could help others learn to read. Literacy volunteers act as tutors who help illiterate children and adults learn this important skill. Most communities have a literacy program, to find out if your community has a program click here or call 1-877-RIF-READ (1-877-743-7323)

8 - American Red Cross - donating blood is the ultimate gift, the gift of life. If you feel you want to do more than that, you can click here for more information on volunteering.

9 - You could volunteer for your local food bank. Food banks often work with homeless shelters, but they also serve poor people living in the community (especially around the holidays). Food banks collect food, manage their inventory and distribute food to those in need. To find your local food bank click here.

10 - United Way - is a nationwide umbrella organization for thousands of charitable organizations. The United Way raises billions of dollars and distributes it to these charities. To learn more click here. On the right side of the page you will see a section where you can enter in your zip code to find out where your local affiliate is.

This should be a good start. :slight_smile:

Heh, thanks, Lorrie, on behalf of the rest of us - this thread should be stickied. :thumbsup:

Sometimes it’s difficult to know how and where and when the Almighty wants us to be of help. I agree that prayer should be at the top of the list, not only for others but for the wisdom to discern how, what, where and when he wants us to act.

Great suggestions to help.

i would focus on Catholic Service Organizations first if you can. Start with your Parish Priest and ask where help is needed, Catholic Charities, St Vincent DePaul etc.

While United Way supports many great charities, it also supports “Planned Parenthood” and their horrific abortion mills in many areas!

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

mark

It is good to see that you want to do many good things for God.

However a saint (I can’t remember who) said the devil gives many good people many good things to do.

If we take on too many good works we become tired and we are unable to do them all well. Trust me I learned the hard way. We should choose a few things that we feel God may be calling us to and try and do these well, rather than just taking on good works for the sake of it. The Chuch is the Body of Christ, each member has their own small role to play. Each person is not asked to do everything.

I’ve also found that your responabilities as av olunteer get bigger over time, (if they see you doing a good job they will give you more to do).

Thank you, that is very good to know. You are right! I always feel like I should be doing soo much , but I guess focusing on something I am passionate about or what God is calling me to do is much more helpful. Thankss :slight_smile:

My dear friend

It’s very admirable and great you have such holy desires to help your neighbor. Can I just suggest you pursue this fully, but think of the greatest and first of the commandments Jesus gave us- love the Lord your God with your whole heart, mind, soul, and strength. Many people believe they are doing all they should by tending to their neighbor but we need to not neglect this, but be sure we do not neglect the greater commandment. Maybe try to give a lot more time to God and lead a very sacramental life full of prayer and penance. When we are doing better spiritually we will be of much more benefit to our neighbor too. Mother Teresa could have done nothing without her deep interior life. We need God so we can help our neighbor. W should not neglect the greater duty. Hope this helps.

May God bless us all abundantly and may we all experience the great love and mercy that He wills for us now and hereafter:thumbsup::slight_smile:

John

Hi “HNA444” First off, I’d like to commend you for your efforts and for your marvelous spirit of self giving. They are gifts from the Holy Spirit… and an example to us all. God bless you. :hug1:

I would suggest Nursing Home ministry to you. I have a lot of experience with this, since I am sole caregiver to my 87 year old mother (who lives with me); She suffers from mid-stage Alzheimer’s. In addition to visiting the elderly shut-ins, I would suggest that you bring a word of cheer and encouragement to family members, caring for them. I can attest to the fact that there is great need for emotional and spiritual support, in both of these groups. The elderly AND their caregivers.

Again, God bless you. It restores my hope to read posts, such at this.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.