Helping someone who is doubting the Eucharist

What suggestions do you have for me if I need to talk to someone who is doubting the Real Presence of Jesus in the Eucharist? I’ve got a few books to share but that’s about it. I’ve used John 6 and some books about Eucharistic miracles, but now I’m at a loss. This person really needs to be shown something almost concrete before they will reaffirm their belief. Any books that I might use or pictures of miracles or anything would help

I wrote this article some time back and have used it on a couple of different boards. This goes into all of the evidence from the Early Church Fathers. It’ll at least give you a start.

See post #4:
catholicforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28818

Thanks for the quick reply. I’m going to print this out and use it if that’s ok!

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world!

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee!
Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us!

**Devoting all I can to the Sacred Heart of Jesus through the Immaculate Heart of Mary **

Link to a medical study done by Dr. Odoardo Linoli on a Eucharistic miracle in Lanciano where the communion turned to real flesh and blood several centuries ago and has been miraculously preserved to this day: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4950729?ordinalpos=28&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum
Might you understand Italian?

Sites detailing the findings of the study on the miracle: therealpresence.org/eucharst/mir/lanciano.html and negrisud.it/en/abruzzo/miracolo_eucaristico/tableofcontents.html (Pictures included! :smiley: :slight_smile: )

I personally inquired on this miracle myself by contacting the person who conducted the study through an exceptionally kind intermediary. Much of the information on this miracle posted on both books and on the web is inaccurate. I highly doubt that any of the information on the two sites above that I gave you is inaccurate - but Dr. Linoli stated that he was not aware of any investigation of this miracle by the WHO

Free information on devoting oneself to the Sacred Heart of Jesus through the Immaculate Heart of Mary:
Online Adoration of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament louisville-catholic.net/WebCameras/AdorationChapel/tabid/825/Default.aspx
True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin montfort.org.uk/Writings/TrueDev.html
**Secret of the Rosary ** montfort.org.uk/Writings/Rosary.html
Preparation for 33 day consecration to the Blessed Virgin saintlouisdemontfort.com/consecration.cfm
Reflections on True Devotion to Mary by His Holiness Pope John Paul II http://www.michaeljournal.org/montfort.htm
**The Glories of Mary, ** by St. Alphonsus de Liguori, one of the 33 Doctors of the Catholic Church, explains Hail Holy Queen http://www.catholictradition.org/Mary/glories.htm
On the Dolors of Mary by St. Alphonsus de Liguori, one of the 33 Doctors of the Catholic Church, explains the sufferings of Our Lady http://writer.zoho.com/public/immaculate/Seven-dolors
Marialis Cultus (Apostolic Exhortation for the Right Ordering and Development of Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary of His Holiness, February 2, 1974 by His Holiness Pope Paul VI ewtn.com/library/PAPALDOC/P6MARIAL.HTM
Devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus en.wikisource.org/wiki/Devotion_to_the_Sacred_Heart_of_Jesus#FIRST_POINT._.E2.80.94_The_ardent_desire_Jesus_Christ_feels_to_be_with_us.
Divine Mercy Chaplet ewtn.com/Devotionals/mercy/dmmap.htm
Rosary Confraternity Enrollment rosary-center.org/nconform.htm (As Pope Leo XIII said in his encyclical on the Confraternity, *“Whenever a person fulfills his obligation of reciting the Rosary according to the rule of the Confraternity, he includes in his intentions all its members and they render him the same service many times over.” * Each member includes deceased fellow members as well; and thus he knows that in turn he will be included in the prayers of hundreds of thousands both now and hereafter.
Cathechism of the Catholic Church vatican.va/archive/catechism/ccc_toc.htm
Litany of Humility ewtn.com/Devotionals/prayers/humility.htm

Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us!
O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee!

For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world!

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

You could ask the person at what point did Judas turn on the teachings of Jesus, and leave it at that.

No problem!

John 6:64, cf. John 13:27, also 1 Corinthians 11:29

on the other hand Luke 24:31

Exercise discretion with the carrot and the stick.

Outpouring of Spirit

Holy Spirit,
we ask for an outpouring of your graces, blessings and gifts,
upon those who do not believe, that they may believe;
Upon those who are doubtful or confused, that they may understand;
Upon those who are lukewarm or indifferent, that they may be transformed;
Upon those who are constantly living in the state of sin, that they may be converted;
Upon those who are weak, that they may be strengthened;
Upon those who are holy, that they may persevere.
Amen.

what about this?
miraclerosarymission.org/lanciano.html
and
therealpresence.org/eucharst/mir/lanciano.html

hope this helps…

Definitely pray for them… whatever evidence they’re receive, they will still need God’s grace to believe… unfortunately sometimes people reject all the proofs that are offered them :frowning:

maybe invite the person to go to Adoration and spend some time with the Lord… sometimes He reveals His presence there even to skeptics :slight_smile:

God bless

Here’s a true story, if it helps…
About a year ago, my sister was having trouble with her 14-year-old son, who had become very cynical about the Church. While they were in the line to receive communion one Sunday, she prayed and asked God to help. After receiving, her son said, “When I received the host, I tasted blood in my mouth.” Based on that, he decided to go ahead with his confirmation classes.
Turning the situation over to God is never a bad idea.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.