Here's a fun question about Guardian Angels

Since we all have a guardian angel does that mean that God creates an angel every time a human person is conceived. Does the population of guardian angels increase with the population of humans? Or did God create countless numbers of angels before hand so that there are many more angels than humans and that we will always have enough?

My guess is that the Angels are innumerable to man, and that human beings are an afterthought; however, human procreation is so slow, and the lifetime of our world itself so
limited, that the number of living humans (only those biologically alive have GA’s) that the number of living human beings will never approach the number of GA’s.

ICXC NIKA.

Are guardian angels recycled? Do they get a new person when their person dies? Or do they retire?

No, a new angel is not created for every new human. All of the angels were already created at the time of the creation of man.

It is possible that there are so many angels that no one has ever been the guardian angel for more than one human, or it is possible that they do cycle and are guardians for multiple humans. We simply don’t know.

I heard somewhere that no angel is assigned to more than one human life, however, I do not know who said that or how they claim to know.

ICXC NIKA

They are not recycled nor do they re-enlist with a new person. They accompany us to heaven when we die. :slight_smile:

ewtn.com/library/MARY/ANGEL1.HTM

Peace

I think that when their person dies, they leave active duty and go into the reserves, awaiting a new assignment! :slight_smile:

ewtn.com/library/SPIRIT/BAGUARD.TXT

Good reading.

No. The Church teaches they are with us from birth to death. That would exclude them being with us after death (I’m talking specifically about guardian angels and not the general population of angels in Heaven with whom we will be together). When we die we have no need for a guardian angel as we are either in Hell or saved.

I heard somewhere that they accompany their dead humans to Purgatory…

ICXC NIKA

Ok, you said this the last time we had this question. I , and others who have studied the subject extensively disagree. I’m not willing to re-hash everything each time it comes up.
I’m out.

I quoted you Church teaching. You simply gave a speculative opinion.

What the Church teaches:

CCC 336 From its beginning until death, human life is surrounded by their watchful care and intercession. “Beside each believer stands an angel as protector and shepherd leading him to life.” Already here on earth the Christian life shares by faith in the blessed company of angels and men united in God.

Personally, I rather hope my guardian angel does not come with me to heaven. He would probably be the only guy there with a grudge against me. He would probably ask me all the time, “you idiot - what were you thinking???”

I’ll send him a pizza every Sunday. It’s the least I can do.

I feel sorry for my GA. He drew the short straw when he got me.

Good questions, lol! :D;)

I always say my guardian angel is probably laughing at me. I laugh at myself all the time, so it’s okay.:rolleyes:

I just wonder how my GA looks at my wife’s GA. My wife’s GA is sitting back in an easy chair, with his feet kicked up, enjoying a fine cigar and a glass of brandy, because he’s got nothing else to do but take it easy.

He’s like the Maytag repairman from those old commercials. Always waiting for something to happen, but nothing ever does.

My poor guy probably feels like a donkey strapped to one of those grinding wheels who never gets a break.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.