Here's what cafeteria Catholicism can do

I participate in a Protestant message board. There is a really wonderful, kind non-denominational Protestant who posts there. This person attends a Catholic Church at college and recently posted this:

There’s absolutely some confusion here. http://bibleforums.org/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif When a Catholic commits “mortal sin”, which is defined as “A sin, such as murder or blasphemy, that is so heinous it deprives the soul of sanctifying grace and causes damnation if unpardoned at the time of death.” (dictionary.com) – even though I DON’T agree that nothing is too big to be forgiven, that’s the key word here: forgiven. When Catholics sin, just like anyone else, they ask God, through Jesus Christ, to forgive them. And many believe that if one sins before death and it goes unforgiven, there’s reason for punishment/atonement. But not all believe that. That’s where you’ve got to separate Rome from the Catholics themselves. The kind of Catholocism preached here in upper North America is REMARKABLY “light” on even talking ABOUT mortal sin at all.

After attending Mass and Liturgy of the word at this particular Catholic Church this person is now under the impression that there are different “kinds” of Catholicism just like there are different kinds of Protestatism and that it’s perfectly OK if people don’t believe what the Church teaches. In fact “you’ve got to separate Rome from the Catholics themselves.” as though the two really have nothing to do with one another.

That really, really saddens me. What is the solution to rampent cafeteria Catholicism?

In Christ,
Nancy :slight_smile:

[quote=Catholic4aReasn]That really, really saddens me. What is the solution to rampent cafeteria Catholicism?

In Christ,
[/quote]

Catechesis, catechesis, catechesis, from the pulpit, in the diocesan newapapers (fat chance in some dioceses!) and from those in the pews who know and beleive what the Catechism says.
I made a suggestion in jest to a group that meets at my parish. I said that when you go to Confession (Real, auricular, sacarmantal confession) you get a ticket. On Sunday, you turn in your ticket just before receiving Communion. No ticket, no Communion. Got a huge laugh.
Encourage friends to listen to EWTN when they can, or give family members a copy of the Catechism for Christmas.
Bug your priest to teach during homilies.
We started an evening adult group one evening a week at the parish. People come to listen or offer a one-hour topic of their own if everyone agrees. It’s great because everyone learns something.
Catechesis, catechesis, catechesis. It’s the only answer to ignorance.
Cafeteria Catholicism, now, is a whole different can of worms.

Cafeteria Catholicism is out of style and had its day. The new generation are catching up and we’re orthodox. There’s more catechism done today than in the last 30 years. Our part is to join the campaign in our corner of the world. Spread it like wildfire. Orthodoxy is powerful since it is true. This is the same faith that the Christians died for. So, the tide is turning and you are more than invited.

H. Belloc said that the war is won long before the battlefield shows it.

in XT.

Here’s another quote from the same wonderful person on the Protestant board in response to someone slamming Catholicism:

You’re telling me what your priest friend said, and I’m telling you what mine said. They seem to have differing opinions. Again, like I originally suggested, it’s a mistake to assume that all Catholics believe everything Rome puts out.

I definitely think that cafeteria Catholicism is alive and well and causing a lot of problems.

In Christ,

[quote=Catholic4aReasn]Here’s another quote from the same wonderful person on the Protestant board in response to someone slamming Catholicism:

You’re telling me what your priest friend said, and I’m telling you what mine said. They seem to have differing opinions. Again, like I originally suggested, it’s a mistake to assume that all Catholics believe everything Rome puts out.

I definitely think that cafeteria Catholicism is alive and well and causing a lot of problems.

In Christ,
[/quote]

Unfortunatly I agree. In a discussion about contraception, my cradle Catholic sister in law told me that “the no birth control rule has been done away with…that was our parent’s generation but we don’t have to follow that one anymore.” She said it was just like the no meat on Friday thing… :frowning:

[quote=Catholic4aReasn]I participate in a Protestant message board. There is a really wonderful, kind non-denominational Protestant who posts there. This person attends a Catholic Church at college and recently posted this:

After attending Mass and Liturgy of the word at this particular Catholic Church this person is now under the impression that there are different “kinds” of Catholicism just like there are different kinds of Protestatism and that it’s perfectly OK if people don’t believe what the Church teaches. In fact “you’ve got to separate Rome from the Catholics themselves.” as though the two really have nothing to do with one another.

That really, really saddens me. What is the solution to rampent cafeteria Catholicism?
[/quote]

Discipline. But when will we see it?

“I said that when you go to Confession (Real, auricular, sacarmantal confession) you get a ticket. On Sunday, you turn in your ticket just before receiving Communion. No ticket, no Communion.”

Strider you NAILED it… I had a similar idea…

I think someone needs to write a movie which will become popular and increase people’s faith. :slight_smile: (is doing just that :smiley: )

What you need is Church Militant

Click the pic and let him know the site! He’ll handle it from there!
vegalleries.com/wbltd/56superman.jpg

I think Aquinas is right. While Cafeteria Catholicism can still do plenty of damage, the ideas themselves are completely bankrupt. The dog is dead but the tail still wags.

Scott

More like…http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/imperialguard/background/images/guardsman.gif
Question: Is the stuff ya hear from Radical Traditionalists and SSPXers a form of Cafeteria Catholicism?

If you stray from the truth, you stray from the truth. Doesn’t matter whether you turn right or left, you still miss the mark.

I do think there is a difference in intention, but being sincerely mistaken is still mistaken.

Just my 2 cents worth., :hmmm:

[quote=Church Militant]More like…
Question: Is the stuff ya hear from Radical Traditionalists and SSPXers a form of Cafeteria Catholicism?
[/quote]

The liberal dissenters and the rad-trads are like the North and the South Pole: they may be a world apart, but the dead and deadening landscape is eerily similar.

Scott

[quote=Church Militant]More like…http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/imperialguard/background/images/guardsman.gif
[/quote]

No, it’s more like Feast or “7 course” Catholicism.
PS.
DO you need underwear with all that?? I mean, what do you do if , ya know, ya hafta “go”?
Is there a rip cord somewhere?

[quote=TNT]vegalleries.com/wbltd/56superman.jpg
[/quote]

:love: My hero! :love:

[quote=Tonks40]:love: My hero! :love:
[/quote]

Actually, that’s a recent sketch of CHURCH MILITANT…ON HALLOWEEN 2004.
PS:
I hope like H__ yur a female.
Ya know, with the hearts for … and the cross-stitching, and all.

Our Church got paid a wonderful compliment by a few folks coming into our RCIA program. Many were from other parts of the city, but said they chose our parish because we seemed to be more traditional Catholics than other parishes. These are mostly young people…20s and early 30s. Folks want something solid to believe in.

Pray for the cafeteria-style catholics as their souls may be in peril. I forgot which saint (maybe St. Faustina) says this, but I remember one of them sharing a private revelation where Christ said it angers Him when people are tepid about their faith…even more than the outright non-believer.

[quote=StCsDavid]Our Church got paid a wonderful compliment by a few folks coming into our RCIA program. Many were from other parts of the city, but said they chose our parish because we seemed to be more traditional Catholics than other parishes. These are mostly young people…20s and early 30s. Folks want something solid to believe in.

Pray for the cafeteria-style catholics as their souls may be in peril. I forgot which saint (maybe St. Faustina) says this, but I remember one of them sharing a private revelation where Christ said it angers Him when people are tepid about their faith…even more than the outright non-believer.
[/quote]

Great witness!
Also, In:
Apocalypse 3:16 But because thou art lukewarm [tepid], and neither cold, nor hot, I will begin to vomit thee out of my mouth.

vaticanII gave birth to cafeteria Catholicism

[quote=misterX]vaticanII gave birth to cafeteria Catholicism
[/quote]

I would be more inclined to say the misinterpretation of V-II played a major role than to affix the blame on the council itself. Just my humble opinion

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.