Herman starter ideas

So I just made a Herman sourdough starter this morning with the kiddos, my fiveyearold can't wait to feed Herman in five days:p. I am not much of a baker and have never made or used starters. Does anyone have any favorite recipes to use this?????

OH man, You are an answer to prayers…

Please oh please send me via PM the recipie for Herman. I LOVE Herman. He just keeps giving and giving and giving. He’s fun to feed, but he sure can make a mess if you forget about him.

I will dig up the Herman cake we used to have as kids. I will post it when I can find it. Goes great with milk. This was our favorite dessert. It was a grand old day when it was time for Herman cake to come out of the oven.

God Bless.

We love using our starter for a lot of different things... try this website for some recipies;
recipegoldmine.com/sourdough/sourdough.html

Our favorites are the Herman Coffee Cake and the quick breads. My sister loves the pancakes. One tip: In the summer, if you want Herman to slow down, let him "chill out" in the refrigerator. You can also freeze Herman and he should be fine when thawed on the counter.

Little one I have not forgotten you I will post recipe when I geya quiet time!!!

Hi,

I know this may sound really stupid in asking. But I would like the Herman Coffee cake recipie. I am on dial up - benefits of country living, no cable internet, and so it takes a long time to pull up other websites.

If you are feeling really generous mind posting that in the thread or sending it to me PM please? Thanks and God Bless.

Little one I wish you were my neighbor…then I would give you a cup!!!:wink:
Here is recipe as you requested.
1package yeast (another recipe I have calls for two with everything else the same)
2 cups warm water
2 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup white sugar

In a large glass or plastic container (do not use metal) dissolve yeast in water. Stir in flour and sugar and mix until smooth (use a wooden or plastic spoon) cover loosely and store in a warm place overnight. The next day stir cover loosely, and refrigerate. Stir once a day for the next four days.
On the fith day add one cup flour one cup milk and one half cup sugar stir until smooth, cover, and refrigerate, stirring daily.
on the tenth day remove one cup and set aside. Use the rest or give away.
To the one cup saved add one cup flour, one cup milk, and one half cup sugar. Stir every day and repeat every ten days!!!
Hope this works I am trying it for the first time myself
Good luck!!!

Wow thanks so much. I am gonna have to write it on the calendar and put sticky notes everywhere to remember what day to do things on lol, I am notouriously bad about forgetting about things.

I remember when Mom forgot about Herman for a few days, well He made his presence known to us all over the counter, in the sink, and on the floor. [We had left town for a few days. or else we would have noticed sooner :wink: ] It was not a pretty mess to clean up. After that Mom killed Herman much to us kids dismay. And unbeknowingst to her, I started one up. So she maintained that one as long as us kids would make the Herman bread.

Let me know how it turns out, I am going to have to get the ingredients next time I head to town.

God bless.

Who is Herman? It sounds like you make some bread, name it Herman, and talk about it as if it is a person? Is this some childhood ritual that I missed out on? :confused:

LOL. I was telling one of my friends about this today and he gave me the same reaction lol. He told me that I needed to start growing Bill in my living room. Beats me why they named this particular starter bread Herman, but its stuck and everyone refers to it as that way. Besides when you keep it growing in the kitchen, well it seems to have personality more and more each day. You gotta feed him, you gotta take care of him, you gotta make sure he stays in his container [put him to bed so to speak lol], can’t leave him in the sun [cuz he kinda explodes or he did when I was growing up lol. Don’t ask me how this happened, cuz I don’t know how.]

It would be interesting to see why they named it Herman. As a childhood ritual, well I cannot remember my childhood without Herman. He grew up with me or I grew up with him.

God Bless.

if you name your starter will your kid have trouble eating bread from it? hope he does not regard it as a pet.
don’t eat breads and grains, but if I did, sourdough would be my preference, it eliminates some of the anti-nutrients in regular wheat bread.

I like the whole concept of getting kids involved in food preparation:thumbsup:

when we learned we were told to use a crockery container that does not admit light, is that still a good rule?

PA…yes that is the rule. In all recipes I have seen there is bold type saying NO METAL CONTAINERS OR UTENSILS. My recipe is refrigerated I am wondering ifI should keep it on the counter though.

Paul LOL Herman is a sourdough bread starter. It is also used in cakes and pancakes.

[quote="petitfleur, post:11, topic:243496"]
PA...yes that is the rule. In all recipes I have seen there is bold type saying NO METAL CONTAINERS OR UTENSILS. My recipe is refrigerated I am wondering ifI should keep it on the counter though.

Paul LOL Herman is a sourdough bread starter. It is also used in cakes and pancakes.

[/quote]

I have to say that I tried to see what would happen if Herman dwelled in a Metal container. Yikes a big mess and ruined the container as well. I even grew him in the sunlight in the metal container, man what a mess too. I like doing things that are said NO.......... [bold statements] as long as they are not immorally wrong lol. This mind is way to curious.

Lol I was going to try that when I separated him just to see what would happen

[quote="petitfleur, post:13, topic:243496"]
Lol I was going to try that when I separated him just to see what would happen

[/quote]

Oh by all means don't leave yourself out of the enjoyment that will result from trying it becuase I posted lol. TRY it, the kids will love it. Then post your results here lol. I would be very interested. I wonder if altitude has any difference as well.

as requested - Herman Coffeecake!

2 cups Herman starter
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 to 2 cups any dried, canned, frozen or fresh fruit
Cinnamon Topping
Brown Sugar Glaze

Stir together Herman starter, eggs, flour, soda, baking powder, cinnamon, sugar, oil, salt and fruit. Spread batter in a greased 9 x 13-inch pan. Sprinkle cinnamon topping over the batter in the pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes. While cake is baking, prepare brown sugar glaze. Pour glaze over coffeecake as soon as it is removed from the oven. Allow to cool and serve.

Makes 12 to 15 servings.

NOTE: For a less sweet coffeecake, omit the Cinnamon Topping or the Brown Sugar Glaze.

Cinnamon Topping:
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup butter or margarine

Cream together brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and margarine or butter.

Brown Sugar Glaze:
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/4 cup milk

Boil butter or margarine, brown sugar and milk together 5 minutes.

LJR5,

Morning. You so Rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Thanks ever so much. I can hardly wait until I get the stuff to make this when I go into town sometime later this month.

:extrahappy::extrahappy::extrahappy:

God bless you. Thanks for taking out the time to post this.

[quote="LJR5, post:15, topic:243496"]
as requested - Herman Coffeecake!

2 cups Herman starter
2 eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 to 2 cups any dried, canned, frozen or fresh fruit
Cinnamon Topping
Brown Sugar Glaze

Stir together Herman starter, eggs, flour, soda, baking powder, cinnamon, sugar, oil, salt and fruit. Spread batter in a greased 9 x 13-inch pan. Sprinkle cinnamon topping over the batter in the pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 45 minutes. While cake is baking, prepare brown sugar glaze. Pour glaze over coffeecake as soon as it is removed from the oven. Allow to cool and serve.

Makes 12 to 15 servings.

NOTE: For a less sweet coffeecake, omit the Cinnamon Topping or the Brown Sugar Glaze.

Cinnamon Topping:
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup butter or margarine

Cream together brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and margarine or butter.

Brown Sugar Glaze:
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/4 cup milk

Boil butter or margarine, brown sugar and milk together 5 minutes.

[/quote]

closed #17

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.