Hermit Orders

I have started discerning the religious life and am draw to monasticism. I know within the Eastern Orthodox there are still hermits who meet together once a week (Sunday) but the rest of the week are alone praying and working. Beside the Carthusian Order is there any other hermit Catholic orders? PAX

There are two groups of hermits within the Order of Carmelites in the United States.

Carmelite Hermitage of the of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Lake Elmo, MN.
Hermits of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Mount Carmel in Christoval, TX.

Hope this helps.

[quote="Gregory84, post:1, topic:224270"]
I have started discerning the religious life and am draw to monasticism. I know within the Eastern Orthodox there are still hermits who meet together once a week (Sunday) but the rest of the week are alone praying and working. Beside the Carthusian Order is there any other hermit Catholic orders? PAX

[/quote]

The Camaldolese are one such group. Try:

contemplation.com/vocations/monastic-vocations.html

incarnationmonastery.com/

My own Order of Carmelites was founded with an eremitical rule, but we are mendicant rather than monastic. You might be interested in looking at our history, however.

carmelite.org/index.php?nuc=content&id=4

Best wishes in your search.

EWTN broadcast a documentary on these hermits a few years ago:

hermitsofourladyofmountcarmel.org/index.htm

patersondiocese.org/page.cfm?Web_ID=1424

30 years and still going strong. :thumbsup:

[quote="CatholicFireman, post:4, topic:224270"]
EWTN broadcast a documentary on these hermits a few years ago:

hermitsofourladyofmountcarmel.org/index.htm

patersondiocese.org/page.cfm?Web_ID=1424

30 years and still going strong. :thumbsup:

[/quote]

Those are great but they are Hermit groups of women. I think Gregory is looking for a male community.

I could have sworn that it was for both. I thought the documentary showed both but more women were part of it, and the article stated:

Located on Pleasant Hill Road, it consists of several small wooden cottages. Each hermit lives in his or her solitary cabin, combining hours of work with hours of prayer.

In 1974, Bishop Casey approved the establishment of a “Desert House of Prayer.” Seven years after the hermitage’s founding, Father Romano envisioned a community of dedicated and consecrated men and women who would lead a vowed, “desert life” of prayer, silence and solitude. In 1997, Bishop Rodimer canonically elevated the community to that of a “Laura (colony) of Consecrated Hermits of Diocesan Right.”

I don’t know that much about it. I guess he can contact them to get the specifics if he is interested.

I heard Father Corapi mention that he lives “in a hermitage in the middle of nowhere”, so his order Society of Our Lady of the Most Holy Trinity (SOLT) apparently allows hermits … although looking at their website, eremitism doesn’t appear to be a major part of their charism. Perhaps they allow it in certain cases, and if so, I wonder if other orders also do this on a case-by-case basis? :hmmm:

Thank you all for your replys. I am looking over the links. As I was searching for information on Benedictine spirituality I found the Holy Family Hermitage of Camaldolese Hermits of MonteCorona. Again, thank you. PAX

Good luck in your search and I pray God leads you to your vocation.

Pax†

There are 2 Hermitages for the Camaldolese order in the US.
God Bless you in your discernment! I am discerning "the call" as well.

Good luck to you as well!

Anyone know anything about this order? It says you do not need to change rites.

maronitemonks.org/Mhtm.htm

I live fairly close to them I knew a man who was Roman Catholic and was a member of their order some time ago…I never realized they were Maronites :hmmm:

Maybe it’s the same as Fr Mitch Pacwa. He is (for lack of a better word) “licensed” (?) to say the Maronite mass but he is Latin Rite (Jesuit). He explained this on one of his shows.

I am a Byzantine Ruthenian Catholic who has joined the Roman Catholic Order of Carmelites.

One does not need to change rites to join a religious order but there are necessary steps that must be taken for everything to be valid.

I do not know about a Roman Catholic joining an Eastern monastery but in my case I needed the approval of the Oriental Congregation for entry into the novitiate. There will be other things that need to be done when (God Willing) ordination time comes around but that is years away.

I'm glad there were also links to women's hermitages because I know someone who might be interested.

Good thread! :gopray:

Maronites are The eastern Catholics, Mainly founded in Lebanon in the middle east.

below is a link about Maronites: youtu.be/1gLoFd5OOmw

the main hermitage place for Maronite is in the holy valley in Lebanon.
below is a report about a Colombian Maronite hermit:
youtu.be/loeFmgfLgOA

since Maronites are spread all over the World, many monks have been affected by their spirituality. similar to the below named monastery, who have Maronite monks none born Maronite.

If you are interested to know about Qadisha valley, feel free to contact me.

There is also a group of Carmelite Hermits in Wyoming as well.

Aren’t they cenobitic monastics? From what I can tell from their website and talking to them they’re communal with hermitages for the few members that have been determined to be called to that life later on.

They’re not all Hermits. However, you have the option to be one if you choose to be one.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.