Hermit/Vocation commitments less serious than the priesthood

Hello! So im 19 years old and I have been thinking about a vocation in the priesthood but i don't know if Im ready or if that is even where God is calling me. Ive been back in the church for about a year, but when i was out of the church i was running around in sin a lot. I went to confession, but I feel I have to depart from this culture i have become accustomed to. So basically...

Do spiritual hermits still exist? If so, is there any intern programs? 1year? 2years?

Is there any year long retreats?

Are there any groups I can get involved with that have Catholicism at their core? (Alexian Brothers maybe?)

Is there any way to separate myself from my family (not practicing Christians) while still making an impact in the city where I live and my family?.. but indirectly

And a college degree is a requirement to joining the seminary, correct?

I have contacted my Vocation Director but im not sure what i want to ask him about. My goal is to bring people in my city to the faith. Especially younger people. I would like to set up some programs for them to get involved in, and stay involved in the Church.. Especially inner city areas

Diocesan hermits are outlined in Canon Law #603.
There is a vast difference between diocesan hermits and the priesthood.

You should discern very carefully!

Diocesan hermits are responsible for their own spiritual formation and are under the obedience of their particular Bishop. Most people who are attempting to become diocesan hermits are "on the radar" of either their Bishop or the local Vocations Director for at least 5 yrs or so. This means, they have spoken to their Bishop or VD and are actively living a Rule of Life while continiously discerning God's call. They must be self-supporting and provide for their own housing, income, food, health insurance, etc.

After all of this time in discerning and following a Rule, the Bishop may still decide you do not have a vocation as a hermit. As in all things "diocesan" it is left to the Bishop to decide. Some bishops may not even want to allow diocesan hermits in thier diocese. Again, it is all left to the Bishop to determine.

Explore all options when it comes to vocations discernment; there are a lot of them out there.

God bless you!

[quote="maxdouglas402, post:1, topic:299984"]
Hello! So im 19 years old and I have been thinking about a vocation in the priesthood but i don't know if Im ready or if that is even where God is calling me. Ive been back in the church for about a year, but when i was out of the church i was running around in sin a lot. I went to confession, but I feel I have to depart from this culture i have become accustomed to. So basically...

Do spiritual hermits still exist? If so, is there any intern programs? 1year? 2years?

Are there any groups I can get involved with that have Catholicism at their core? (Alexian Brothers maybe?)

Is there any way to separate myself from my family (not practicing Christians) while still making an impact in the city where I live and my family?.. but indirectly

I have contacted my Vocation Director but im not sure what i want to ask him about. My goal is to bring people in my city to the faith. Especially younger people. I would like to set up some programs for them to get involved in, and stay involved in the Church.. Especially inner city areas

[/quote]

Contact your VD. They probably have programs already established, so you wouldn't have to start something on your own.

If you do start something, begin on your own and make notes for how people are to join or leave your organization, and how you are going to carry out your plans. Do first, and the statues will write themselves. You do not have to have a bishop's permission to do this.

Priests and religious are more than happy to have good help in the ministry. They are honored and humbled to see people wanting to follow them into the fields.

Anybody can be a "spiritual hermit". Many of the founders followed the Lord into solitude then founded apostolic communities. If you are attracted to the Alexians, then check in with them.

Discernment is a process, so be patient with yourself and the Lord. Prayer, the sacraments, lectio, working hard at your remunerative work…develop yourself into a humble servant of the Lord. And review "Dark Night of the Soul" while you're at it. If a spiritual director is not available, the Liturgy of the Hours is a good substitute.

Always look locally first. Understood about your family. Always be loving and a good example.

Blessings,
Cloisters

[quote="maxdouglas402, post:1, topic:299984"]

[/quote]

There are religious orders of hermits, in addition to the diocesan hermit, such as the Carthusians (founded by St Bruno in the 11th century, "Into Great Silence" is recent film that was done on them), the Camaldolese Hermits of Monte Corona, and various independent communities of hermits such as the fairly recent one of Carmelite Monks in Montana. Google it and you will see.

From your post, I take it that you want to escape your sinful surroundings in order to lead a godly life. However, you mention that your goal is to bring people in your city to the faith, especially young people. Those are great goals.

I’d suggest focusing on building a strong spiritual foundation through prayer, frequenting the sacraments, service, and study. A good spiritual director – or a vocations director – can help you sort out your goals and how to pursue them. Most important, he can help you listen to God’s voice so as to hear and respond to the call of God in your life.

Or a diocesan hermit who has some form of remunerative work based on association with the Alexians. There have been congregational recluses before. There can be again.

A diocesan hermit whose plan of life is based on the spiritual aspects of the Alexians. That would be intriguing.

Blessings,
Cloisters

Also, if I remember correctly, the Carthusians will prepare and educate novices in the Order to become ordained priests. If I’m not mistaken I think all brothers in the order are ordained through the Carthusian Order.

I know someone who’s been on the hermit path for about 6 or 7 years? It’s been very rough going, partly because their diocese has never really handled that sort of situation. Definitely do your research and speak to others on such a path.

Good luck!

I am kind of a Catholic hermit.

I didn't plan it that way, that is just how it worked out!

[quote="Richca, post:4, topic:299984"]
There are religious orders of hermits, in addition to the diocesan hermit, such as the Carthusians (founded by St Bruno in the 11th century, "Into Great Silence" is recent film that was done on them), the Camaldolese Hermits of Monte Corona, and various independent communities of hermits such as the fairly recent one of Carmelite Monks in Montana. Google it and you will see.

[/quote]

This year the are celebrating the 1000 year anniversary of their foundation by St. Romualdo. :thumbsup:

[quote="Sebrina, post:7, topic:299984"]
Also, if I remember correctly, the Carthusians will prepare and educate novices in the Order to become ordained priests. If I'm not mistaken I think all brothers in the order are ordained through the Carthusian Order.

[/quote]

The Carthusian Order has two vocations within the order itself, i.e., the priesthood and the brotherhood. They are all hermits though they do live in community in a monastery. They combine the erimitical and communal life with an emphasis on the erimitical. Sebrina is right in saying that they prepare and educate in the monastery the brothers aspiring to the priestly vocation. The priests spend about 20 hours of the day in their own hermitages. The brothers cook, garden, etc and deal with the upkeep and running of the monastery. They all go for walks every Sunday afternoon. The only monastery of Carthusians in the U.S. is in Vermont. I had the priviledge of visiting that monastery in my early 20's for a week when I was thinking about a vocation then. It was a truly wonderful experience and it takes a very special vocation from the Lord. I have visited a number of monasteries but none like that one. There is nothing there but the love of God.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.